My Craigslist score. Audi Avant

Lauren

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the best Audi forum that is frequented and has knowledgable people?

Audizine IMO. Please use the search function there before posting threads. There are sub forums for each series with literally hundreds of thousands of threads.

I'm getting an odd problem where the gas pedal is all the way down and the motor isn't revving. Does this for about 15 secs then it catches up and revs freely. It's misfiring a bit as well. I put in new plugs but ordered the wrong coil packs. Going to be swapping out the coolant temp sensor today as well and I was getting a CTS code. I'm getting code 16505 TPS reading high. Also getting an over boost code?

If CTS was bad and it thinks the car is hot and will pull timing, start there first when mine went bad it wasn't that extreme. If the TPS codes continue replace that too. I'd pull and clean the throttle body and MAF while you are at it and obviously wait for the new coils.

Timing belt done? The second time I did my timing belt I had the timing off one tooth and it ran like you described but without misfires. Easy to check timing just pull front timing covers and line up the marks. More than likely not this but no harm in checking if you are giving it a once over and gives you an opportunity to make sure the belt is good shape too

I'm beginning to hate audi's.

Today was the first day I actually got to drive the car. Last week I had new brakes put on it. Over the weekend I changed plugs and window regulators( which btw is the biggest pain in the ass ever. Who rivets regulators to the frame?!?).

Took my new tires and Avus wheels to get mounted and put on the car. Car starts running really hot. Take it to Goodyear because they just did a coolant flush and fill and my reservoir cap is bad. Oh joy off to the parts store again. Hopefully this fixing that issue and I can just drive this bitch.

It's funny my Land Rover was dead reliable from day 1. This Audi I haven't even logged 10 miles yet. It's crazy because the engine and tranny feel really strong and feels good when I have driven it. Stupid little shit is making me crazy.

I'm beginning to hate audi's with deferred maintenance.

Fixed it for you.

a lot of what you are dealing with isn't necessarily audi's fault so much as the fact the car sat around for the last year or so and probably when it got into the higher miles the PO's stopped paying attention to little things and learned to just live with them.

Like all German luxury cars, Audi's tend to attract buyers that expect reliability and when the car starts to give them small troubles they just ignore them until they have a massive catastrophic failure. This is because if you look at German cars made before say 1993 - they have the reliability of a stone where as cars made after 1993 lean toward the bleeding edge of tech with the reliability of an envelope, they set the bar so high for so long that there are people out there that think a B5 1.8T can run on the similar maintenance schedule of an e30 bmw (replace parts only when they smoke, catches fire or render the car inoperable) but really you can't.

Once you shake 50 years of deferred maint out of the car it should be fine.

Looking at the pics I feel like the car needs an aggressive set of AT2 grabbers or Michelin dirt tires and a rally car light bar as sort of a DIY allroad, but without all the stranded because of failed air suspension and turbo rubber booties.

You are right. Car sat basically not driven for two years. I knew this going in. Just frustrating when I fix one thing another pops up. Just thankful for most of the stuff I can do it myself. I'm hoping this rad cap is the last of the issues for awhile.

If it runs that's a score for $700. Does it have like 200k on it or something?

If you get tired of replacing coil packs and sensors let me know and I'll consider taking it off your hands for you.

You tired of replacing parts yet? I got this $700 just sitting here...