Disney Vacation Experts Check in

TTQ B4U

As an adult, do you guys really have fun when you go or do you do it for your children?

-Marc

I feel ya...I hadn't been to Didney Worl since I was in grade school in the '80s, and even then I remember being drug around and not having much fun. In 2007, when we still lived in FL, my wife's entire extended family went to Didney and we drove up to meet them and hang out with them and their kids. We didn't have any at the time. Honestly, I had a great time and it was that much more fun to see the kids having a blast. I did Space Mountain and Carousel of Progress a couple times each because I'm a dork. There's a ton of nostalgia to Magic Kingdom. I came away from that trip with a new-found appreciation for Mickey.

What REALLY seals the deal for me is when you go to another amusement park or carnival, and you see how much money you spend anyway. The experience of Didney is well worth the money.

We bought 2 10-day Park Hopper passes between my wife and I for the equivalent of $60ish a day back in 2007 since we were in-state. We burned through them all within a few years and unfortunately they've gotten lax with in-state discounts to Florida residents (I still have a valid FL drivers' license). Sad to say the price for an adult day-pass at the ticket window is over $100 now...

Another intadesting fact I heard on our Disney Cruise was out of 3400 guests that time, over 50% of them were Florida residents. I'm sure there were a lot of grandparents with kids, but in reality they have some amazing short-notice deals on rooms that are still open coming up on the week of. If you thought the OSU Buckeyes had some die-hard fans...Mickey's giving them a run for their money!

Holy shit...who knew there was this much effort in going to Disney?

I haven't been since I was a kid and don't really plan on going again until I have a kid...but this seems like a true pain in the ass vacation!

As an adult, do you guys really have fun when you go or do you do it for your children?

-Marc

I think it'd be a blast to go with just a significant other and no kids, especially during Food & Wine Festival time. So many fun things to do without kids.

I do have a lot of fun, and honestly assumed it was going to be a waste of money the first time, but wanted my son to have gone at least once like I did as a child. When we came back, we started planning our next trip. It was such a fun time and I even enjoy planning it with him. We really look forward to it and I have a countdown on my phone that he asks me about or checks occasionally.

I haven't been since I was a kid and don't really plan on going again until I have a kid...but this seems like a true pain in the ass vacation!

-Marc

As an adult you get to have a different kind of fun. After going there growing up, then working there as a college age drunkin crazy, and then going back as an adult I can say going back as an adult was the most fun.

For me its all about going for the experience, service, and food. My wife never had been on a vacation until we went on our honeymoon. She still talks about it to this day and I'm working my fucking ass off to get to take her back so she can enjoy it again.

-Marc

I have fun seeing how excited my kids are. The rides are so-so...nothing compared to Cedar Point, but that's not what Disney is about (and my kids can't ride much at CP anyway). We go for the entertainment and the food.

It's also nice that once were there we don't have to worry about much. The Magical Express picks us up from the airport, the monorail or Disney busses take us everywhere, it's the only place we can go that I don't have to haul giant car seats around. It's so much easer traveling there with kids.

I actually dragged out camper down to fort wilderness in 2005. My wife took months planning the trip and we had an absolute blast. The planning is critics. For example, I remember at Epcot there was some sort of deal where if you had dinner in this particular diner you got VP seating for Fantasia. People waited in line for like 3 hours to see that performance and we walked right by them and sat on the front row. Her plan was unbelievable and we would not have been able to do half of it without the work she did ahead of time.

You can do Disney for 2 weeks now and not see everything. Its shocking how much there is-some of the missed the fun is seeing the pools at all the resorts! If you stay at a Disney property, you can use/visit any other resort's pool. Big time for kids.

They are running a 30% off sale right now-wife ha the link for it. We are booked for a 10 day stay in October

I won't bother writing out a long response because I would be here days on the subject but plan early, go during off peak times, and just have fun!

I like everything about Disney and will take my kids every chance we can. If you know the tricks and plan ahead, it's some of the best vacations you'll ever have with or without kids.

All I can say is do your research about a year out and start making plans 6-months out!

http://allears.net/index.html

http://www.mousesavers.com/

http://guide2wdw.com/disney-world-tips/

http://cheapskateprincess.com/

http://www.mouseplanet.com/

Get to reading!

you either go to disney to have fun with the kids, or you go to have a blast as an adult---its tough to do both.

i've been the last 4 years with my kids and have focused the experience on them---my kids are 7,7 and 6. a lot of the attractions that i like, they would not tolerate. i guess i could bring my nanny, but that defeats the purpose of seeing the kids' faces when they experience the magic.

there are tons of things to do as an adult---you would not think that's the case, but it is. its very difficult to have a BAD experience at disney. especially if you plan the trip in advance. and there's no one better to do that, than a disney planner. i used a planner on the last trip and it was incredible. they know exactly which rides need the fast pass, when to go on those rides. what places to eat, when to eat there. they got all the princess makeover stuff for the kids, etc etc. we had a planned lunch at norway in epcot--i was like, wtf, norway? of course, that was because all the frozen characters were there. my kids went apeshit, nuts, loved it. the planner also got multiple deals/discounts that easily paid for her fee and thensome.

If you stay at a Disney property, you can use/visit any other resort's pool.

Pool hopping is only available to DVC members, even this it's still restricted to certain pools.

Normal resort guests are not able to pool hop. I think this was a policy change a few years ago.

Pool hopping is only available to DVC members, even this it's still restricted to certain pools.

Normal resort guests are not able to pool hop. I think this was a policy change a few years ago.

your right, I should clarify-

If you have any "business" at that facility that day, you can sue the pool. IE $30 Micky Brunch at Animal Kingdom that day, they allow you to use that facilities pool.

Yup. All of the "great" character dining experiences are booked literally a year out. F'n nuts

Try Garden Grill in Epcot. It's not crazy expensive, the food is good, and 4 different characters come by your table.

That wasn't the case when we went in Decemeber.

That wasn't the case when we went in Decemeber.

Disney’s resort pool hopping policy is very clear regarding general guests. You may use the pool(s) at the specific resort where you are registered. You may not hop to another pool at another resort and use their pool facilities. Most pools have signs advertising this information to guests. - See more at: http://www.disunplugged.com/2012/02/27/walt-disney-world%E2%80%99s-pool-hopping-policy-reviewed/#sthash.p1JgPUBM.dpuf

Just saying, it's been this way for a while. Now, you can have you own interpretation on the policies, but unless you're a DVC member you get pool privileges at the resort you're at.

Disney’s resort pool hopping policy is very clear regarding general guests. You may use the pool(s) at the specific resort where you are registered. You may not hop to another pool at another resort and use their pool facilities. Most pools have signs advertising this information to guests. - See more at: http://www.disunplugged.com/2012/02/27/walt-disney-world%E2%80%99s-pool-hopping-policy-reviewed/#sthash.p1JgPUBM.dpuf

Just saying, it's been this way for a while. Now, you can have you own interpretation on the policies, but unless you're a DVC member you get pool privileges at the resort you're at.

That may be correct and the wording on that site but we were told by many employees that it was allowed. Maybe because the Wilderness Lodge pool (where we stayed) was being renovated during our visit? Otherwise, no one checked or even bothered us. I could see it being a problem during the busy season but off peak times none of the pools were even close to being filled (or half full) during our dates.

That may be correct and the wording on that site but we were told by many employees that it was allowed. Maybe because the Wilderness Lodge pool (where we stayed) was being renovated during our visit? Otherwise, no one checked or even bothered us. I could see it being a problem during the busy season but off peak times none of the pools were even close to being filled (or half full) during our dates.

I know when the Polynesian pool was being renovated last fall you could go to any pool except Beach club I believe. Beach club is normally excluded from most things as it's considered the nicest pool at WDW. Too bad I can't afford $600 a night b/c I'd love to stay there.

just an update, Casey, I have a call into Lori and am likely going to go through her. I may decide to take Vinny's suggestion as a place to stay as she doesn't go outside what Disney offers and that doesn't mean there aren't better options.

Thanks everyone. Keep the feedback coming as it's really helping as we put all this together.

I know when the Polynesian pool was being renovated last fall you could go to any pool except Beach club I believe. Beach club is normally excluded from most things as it's considered the nicest pool at WDW. Too bad I can't afford $600 a night b/c I'd love to stay there.

Didn't know it was considered the nicest! They have some $360 night rooms unless you are quoting tickets, meal, etc.. and everything included?