Transmission Jack

wagner

Going to be pulling the converter and transmission out of the car soon and I’m looking for transmission jack options to make this easier. I looked at the Harbor Freight unit, but am not totally sold.

Any other reasonably priced options out there?

Why did you stray from the hf unit? I know a few people who have used it and came in very handy and couldn't beat the price esp for how often it is truly used

Like everything else their the quality issues on some units. I read some people had great luck, others had adjustment screws strip out. I'm also worried about the profile of the unit.

I've got this rule about Harbor Freight stuff, I don't like to buy anything from there that has more than 2 moving parts that costs more than $20.

I will see if they have any there that I can actually look at to see if the current batch is better.

Good thing most of their parts as well as any other brand has a warranty on it.

You have to take those reviews with a grain of salt, most these people are the same ones not using the right tool for the right job.

I used a lot of harbor freight stuff and it worked 85-90% as good as Snap-On or Cornwell. Craftsman is at like 70-75% for comparison. Hell my HF 1/2" Impact was taking out subframe bolts my friends Snap-On impact wouldn't.

As Greg said, how often do you forsee yourself using it? Is it really worth spending $50+ more on a Craftsman that will likely do the same thing?

how many times in the next 5 years do you plan to use it? just buy the HF unit

Not sure, when you place race car bad shit can happen.

I've got one if you want to use it, Wags...

I might take you up on that, what size is it?

You have to take those reviews with a grain of salt, most these people are the same ones not using the right tool for the right job.

I used a lot of harbor freight stuff and it worked 85-90% as good as Snap-On or Cornwell. Craftsman is at like 70-75% for comparison. Hell my HF 1/2" Impact was taking out subframe bolts my friends Snap-On impact wouldn't.

As Greg said, how often do you forsee yourself using it? Is it really worth spending $50+ more on a Craftsman that will likely do the same thing?

I totally understand the review thing, I use that as a basline. I've known people who have had first hand quality issues with HF stuff.

Hell, friend from college had one of their impacts blow up in his hand, and he is a pretty good wrench so it was more on the tool.

I've learned the phrase "buy one time, cry one time" on most car related stuff is the way to go.

Don't you still have my motorcycle jack? Use that.

I actually need to get that back to you, I have it out and ready.

I thought about that, but I want to use something that has the sides on it and a lower profile to secure the trans, and get it out easier.

You don't keep a job long enough to compare longevity of tools. Besides you're at Carmax and you use their tools right?

I personally would go to an auto parts store like NAPA and ask to see their tool catalog, they typically can get more then one thing, and it's what you'd have in most shops.

Harbor Freight is the radio shack of tools it may work forever or not at all, I am not a big fan unless it's rarely used without moving parts.

You don't keep a job long enough to compare longevity of tools.

Touche

Besides you're at Carmax and you use their tools right?

Something like that. At least you won't ever hear my complain about someone else paying the tool bill and paying me hourly.

How helpful is a trans jack when you are putting a trans back in? I have never used one but I have tried to use a regular jack (or two) to try to level a trans to put it on. I have always had better luck just lifting the bitch myself to line it up.

I actually need to get that back to you, I have it out and ready.

I thought about that, but I want to use something that has the sides on it and a lower profile to secure the trans, and get it out easier.

I used Mitch' Motorcycle Jack on the Marauder's Trans.... the 2nd time :lol: Casey stopped by to help the first round!

The help was appreciated, but the jack was a LOT more secure.

:thumbup:

KillJoy

I used Mitch' Motorcycle Jack on the Marauder's Trans.... the 2nd time :lol: Casey stopped by to help the first round!

The help was appreciated, but the jack was a LOT more secure.

:thumbup:

KillJoy

You're welcome to use it if you want, Wags.

I have owned this one (http://www.harborfreight.com/800-lb-low-lift-transmission-jack-69685.html) for about 2 years. used it about 5 times and my thoughts are meh.

Pros

-The jack arm can swivel 360deg and pump, nice when you need to move under the car

-Hand activated pressure release (as apposed to using the lift arm which allows for easier adjustments)

-4 swivel casters

-Adjustable arms on lift plate for different sized pans

Cons

-Says low profile but you will probably need at least 30" of clearance to pull that out from under a car with a trans on it. so trans needs loaded and unloaded underneath the car which fucking sucks by yourself.

-Tilt and clocking adjustments work ok but there is about 4 inches of play in each adjustment so depending on where the weight is centered this can make it difficult to line up

-The chain included to secure trans to lift plate is crap I replaced it with a ratchet strap

-The last 2 times I used the jack it moved very little while pumping so I think I need to bleed it.

I have gotten some good use out of it but am not overly impressed. It has made a few jobs easier and I would say its worth the extra 45$ over the scissor type that needs the socket wrench to lift if you think you will need it more than once. but if you want a good high quality long lasting tool, this is not it.

When I did the transmission in my dodge van I used a HF motorcycle jack. The low profile made it much easier. You can borrow it if you want. It's just sitting in my garage. You have my number.