P0446 Code, 2005 Chevy Equinox.

Stampede

Been trying to fix this code, replaced vent valve, the purge valve, blow out the vent tube, and the canister, was full of dirt. Took compressed air to make sure I didn't have a blockage in the canister, which I don't. I did check for voltage at the plug, but I didn't move or shack the connector to see if I might have a short. But I'm thinking it might be the fuel tank pressure sensor. Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Been trying to fix this code, replaced vent valve, the purge valve, blow out the vent tube, and the canister, was full of dirt. Took compressed air to make sure I didn't have a blockage in the canister, which I don't. I did check for voltage at the plug, but I didn't move or shack the connector to see if I might have a short. But I'm thinking it might be the fuel tank pressure sensor. Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Can you look at the parameter for the fuel tank pressure sensor on a scan tool? It should read 0 when the engine isn't running. Have you looked at the gas cap? Seems I recall replacing a few of the vent solenoid electirical connectors on that year range Equinox be ause the terminals fray and come apart.

The wiring looked good to me, I do have 12v to the plug. I wish I had a scan tool. I'm going to assume the ones at the auto parts stores can not see parameters?

Thanks.

No I doubt a parts store can look at much other then codes. Just because the wire looks fine doesn't mean it isn't coming apart inside the connector, that's what I'm talking about. The only sure way to check the electrical is to plug a noid light into the circuit so you require the circuits power and ground, and command it on and off with an appropriate scan tool. This is not easy for most people to do, I understand that, but EVAP is hard to diag without being able to control it.

Could you suggest a scan tool that is capable of doing what I need? Yes, this is a pain in the ass, I evap issues.

Thanks.

A tech 2 obviously, a Solus, a Genesis, or anything better then that, most scan tools that have bidirectional abilities jump up over $2k pretty fast. I'm sure there are cheaper off brand stuff out there but I'm not really familiar.

replaced vent valve, the purge valve, blow out the vent tube, and the canister, was full of dirt.

Did you replace the vent tube and/or canister or just blew them out with air?

there is a TSB for this issue but these items are most common for that car:

Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) Canister Vent Solenoid/Valve

Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister.

Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister and Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) Canister Vent Solenoid/Valve.

Fuel Filler Cap, Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) Canister Purge Solenoid/Valve. Fuel Filler Neck.

Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor (FTPS)

Carbon Canister Vent Hose.

Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor (FTPS) Wiring

Edited by Mitch
duplicate

I called a shop, and they want $75.00 an hour till they know what it is. So, I will be doing this the hard way, keep changing parts till it's fixed.

Yes, I have voltage to the vent valve, do not know about the ground. I will see if the pcm commands the valve closed when first started, to see if the valve operates.

Thanks.

Did you replace the vent tube and/or canister or just blew them out with air?

there is a TSB for this issue but these items are most common for that car:

Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) Canister Vent Solenoid/Valve

Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister.

Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister and Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) Canister Vent Solenoid/Valve.

Fuel Filler Cap, Evaporative Emissions (EVAP) Canister Purge Solenoid/Valve. Fuel Filler Neck.

Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor (FTPS)

Carbon Canister Vent Hose.

Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor (FTPS) Wiring

I just replaced the vent solenoid valve, and just blow out the canister last night.

I'm thinking its the pressure sensor, cause that's the hardest to change.

Thanks.

I just replaced the vent solenoid valve, and just blow out the canister last night.

I'm thinking its the pressure sensor, cause that's the hardest to change.

Thanks.

I don't disagree with your logic, here at Lash we typically just charge an hour. If you want to come up here I'm sure we can discount the labor and figure it out for less then $75.