Goodbye old friend. RIP Janky Rx7

Smokey

Unfortunately I was being silly and driving too fast in the rain at Mid Ohio a couple of weeks ago. Conditions changed fast and Janky took a wild ride that ended with it backing into a concrete barrier. It's terminal I'm afraid. :fa::fa:

My brother put together a short homage video for us to mourn. The song is a nice joke for those that watched the last Furious movie. Haha.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bummer man. The only times I've crashed at mid ohio was because track was fine, then one corner was suddenly downpouring. Now if I see/hear of rain I just pull off like a puss to recon.

Glad you're okay. At least the lesson didn't cost you more.

Also 1:38.9? DAYUM

No video of the wreck but the car went sideways in the kink of the back straight when I passed thru a little river of water running across the track. Started a long spin and slide that had a HARD impact with the rear and the outside concrete wall. No fixing the car unless you want to cut the unibody in half and weld together a new one. Wags if you want to see it after I strip it and before it goes to the scrap yard you're welcome to.

Thankfully my safety equipment was up to task and a little luck saw me hit rearward instead of any other angle. Those things are why I'm waking and taking and not posting about broken bones or worse.

Next car...most likely another FD. I've considered a C5Z as it's the best bang for the buck track wise, I just don't know that the car is "me" otherwise. I have an unexplained love for the FD and sometimes I need that to keep me going. That being said the FD market is weird right now and nothing jumps out at me. Everyone keep their eyes peeled for a red base model 5-speed for me!

Bummer man. The only times I've crashed at mid ohio was because track was fine, then one corner was suddenly downpouring. Now if I see/hear of rain I just pull off like a puss to recon.

Glad you're okay. At least the lesson didn't cost you more.

Also 1:38.9? DAYUM

Yeah that series of laps was 39.1, 38.9, 39.3, 38.7. Not too shabby for a car on Nittos. :lolguy: It's a bummer because I was really getting the car more ironed out this year. This was actually my first event on the new Ohlins suspension....now the rears need replaced. Doh.

E, the insurance is a grey area for sure. Check your own policy. Some cover it since it's drivers education and not racing. Others won't cover you if you're in the parking lot at a race track.

No video of the wreck but the car went sideways in the kink of the back straight when I passed thru a little river of water running across the track. Started a long spin and slide that had a HARD impact with the rear and the outside concrete wall. No fixing the car unless you want to cut the unibody in half and weld together a new one. Wags if you want to see it after I strip it and before it goes to the scrap yard you're welcome to.

Thankfully my safety equipment was up to task and a little luck saw me hit rearward instead of any other angle. Those things are why I'm waking and taking and not posting about broken bones or worse.

Next car...most likely another FD. I've considered a C5Z as it's the best bang for the buck track wise, I just don't know that the car is "me" otherwise. I have an unexplained love for the FD and sometimes I need that to keep me going. That being said the FD market is weird right now and nothing jumps out at me. Everyone keep their eyes peeled for a red base model 5-speed for me!

Damn, glad you had everything up to snuff and were able to walk away. Gear saves lives at any speed, never skimp....

I was just wondering because you might be able to sell the shell to someone who wants to build a race car, or could use it to finish a project. The guys from PR would find a way to make it run again I'm sure..

Like others have said, sad to see it crash but glad you are ok as well as sad about one less FD.

does your insurance cover something like this?

I know my policy will cover me at the track as long as I have an instructor with me.