Any S&W guys that could tell me moar

AndonD454

Hey CR,

Got a new toy recently, was wondering if anyone could tell me a little more about it. It's a model 57 (41 mag), seems to be in good condition, but it's used so I wanted to at least be able to date it (within 5 years or better). Can anyone help with this, or provide some info that I probably don't know about this model? This is my first revolver, but not my first firearm.

Serial begins with N670.

Sorry for the grainy ipad pic, I may be able to take a better one if anyone cares enough.

Thanks!

Andon

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i360/AndonD454/97b79fa3215992452928d521438f2fad_zpspusql1cv.jpg

You can send a message to s&w with serial and they will give you a whole print out if what it is and everything about it.

We did this when my cousin got one on a trade for a propane heater from a guy who didn't know any better. Long story short it turned out to be a s&w k32 masterpiece that he traded a $300 heater for lol

You can send a message to s&w with serial and they will give you a whole print out if what it is and everything about it.

Yeap, S&W can tell you the date the production if you give them the serial number. You can call or email.

We did this when my cousin got one on a trade for a propane heater from a guy who didn't know any better. Long story short it turned out to be a s&w k32 masterpiece that he traded a $300 heater for lol

Yeap, S&W can tell you the date the production if you give them the serial number. You can call or email.

The letter option is cool, and I will probably do this, but it costs $50 so I might hold off. Do you know if they will provide that info for free over the phone? I may try to call when I get home and can get the full serial.

Thanks

Honest question: why did you go with a 41 mag? I've shot a lot of 357 mag and 44 mag and am curious about the 41. Thx

It was a gift, so I didn't really get to pick. Really, what I wanted was a large frame revolver, and 357 seems to be adequate, but I do go into the wilderness for hunt/fish/camp activities, where I would like something that would work as bear protection, and 357 doesn't quite cut it. 41 mag was designed to be a good compromise between the two calibers, it just never got popular, so ammo is more expensive than I would like it to be. Haven't shot it yet, and haven't shot a 44 mag either, so I can't give you an honest answer as to which is better. I can compare and report back though

It was a gift, so I didn't really get to pick. Really, what I wanted was a large frame revolver, and 357 seems to be adequate, but I do go into the wilderness for hunt/fish/camp activities, where I would like something that would work as bear protection, and 357 doesn't quite cut it. 41 mag was designed to be a good compromise between the two calibers, it just never got popular, so ammo is more expensive than I would like it to be. Haven't shot it yet, and haven't shot a 44 mag either, so I can't give you an honest answer as to which is better. I can compare and report back though

That's an awesome gift! Congrats. Thanks for the answer. Maybe I'll see you on the range sometime. I'm usually the only one under 50 shooting revolvers.

That's an awesome gift! Congrats. Thanks for the answer. Maybe I'll see you on the range sometime. I'm usually the only one under 50 shooting revolvers.

Haha that would make me the other. And thanks. Definitely one of the coolest gifts I've been given in my lifetime

• 2 weeks later...
That gun looks beautiful. I have no experience with 41. S&W 44, 357, and 38 of the same type of frame are A+ and a good time.

Thanks!

N600000 started in 1979,N700000 started in 1980.

And thank you sir. Gives me even more appreciation for the condition knowing its older than I am.