Nitrate Advisory For City of Columbus Dublin Road Water Plant Service Area

ImUrOBGYN

"The Columbus Division of Water is issuing a nitrate advisory to certain populations receiving water from the Dublin Road Water Plant. Do not give tapwater to infants below the age of six months or use it to make infant formula, juice or baby cereal. This advisory will remain in effect until further notice."

Read the whole story here:

http://columbus.gov/Templates/Detail.aspx?id=80363

"The Columbus Division of Water is issuing a nitrate advisory to certain populations receiving water from the Dublin Road Water Plant. Do not give tapwater to infants below the age of six months or use it to make infant formula, juice or baby cereal. This advisory will remain in effect until further notice."

Read the whole story here:

http://columbus.gov/Templates/Detail.aspx?id=80363

Also breastfeeding moms

Anyone know if you can make coffee and what not with it? Things that would cause steam but not technically boiling? I didn't see that in the notice.

Your 6 month old enjoys a nice latte? :)

The main concern is with infants because their digestive tract doesn't filter the nitrates well.

Edited by Mitch
didn't want to be a complete smartass, more like a helpful smartass

It is that nobody should boil it in an attempt to reduce nitrates as it will make it increase. You can still boil it if you are making soup or whatever...so long as you are not less than 6mo. or breastfeeding!

Basically...everyone can go about their normal water usage.

Wonder if it is better for my plants now?

So the plant is in Dublin but doesnt serve Dublin.. am i reading that correctly? Regardless, we drink bottled water anyways. Our tap water smells and tastes like pool water on any given day.

Edit, no, i did not read that correctly.

Edited by jeffro

I am researching the water situation as regards to pets- if anyone has knowledge of this it would be helpful to share

According to this PDF

"Animals should not drink water that is above 10 mg/L"

https://public.health.oregon.gov/HealthyEnvironments/DrinkingWater/Monitoring/Documents/health/nitrate.pdf

However- I don't know how that translates in regards to the PPM currently.

Ohio EPA regulations require that the public be notified within 24 hours when nitrate levels in a public water supply exceed the maximum contaminant level, which is 10 parts per million (ppm). Today, the nitrate level in tap water tested at the Dublin Road plant registered 10.8 - which is the amount stated by the PDF above to avoid going to pets.

I'll be safe rather than sorry

Gotta love lawn fertilizers ...

Its the Famers Tom.

This is all due to the fact that we got dumped on up north in Farm Country last week. If all that rain would have hit locally we wouldn't be having this discussion.