The fun did not last long...oil pump took a crap

caseyctsv

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should've bought another Vibe.

:p

I kid. Good luck with the fix. On the bright side, if this is the only thing wrong with a modded car you just bought, then I guess it could be worse. Of course, I say this without knowing how much time and/or money you'll spend fixing the issue.

Buys new modded car, big thing goes wrong within week of ownership. Sorry to hear. Hope it's not too far gone and that the engine is damaged. Is there any warning signs to these oil pumps going bad or do they just randomly fail out of nowhere?

There are no "symptoms" though some have reported lower oil pressure than normal leading up to it. Mine did not. The problem is a stuck Pressure relief valve in the oil pump. It generally happens right at start up - seems like when the car sits the valve gets stuck. There is nothing in the oil on mine so I am hopeful it will be a quick fix. It was fresh Mobil one so it is practically clear so should be easy to see metal shavings. Crossing fingers

Hopefully it's a quick reasonably inexpensive fix and nothing important or frictional got cooked. This is when we appreciate the qualities of oil on a "dry start"

Just remember...if something breaks....it's a great time to upgrade ;)

Being modded makes no difference. My car is completely stock and it did the same thing.

There is no warning either. Go to start it and the valve sticks and the light comes on. Its scary but you just turn the car off and go get it fixed. The motor will be fine.

So is this something thats fixed on newer models? It seems like a serious issue for those that don't pay attention. Is there any kind of recall and are they fixing this problem on out of warranty cars that are stock?

I really hate hearing about your car.

So is this something thats fixed on newer models? It seems like a serious issue for those that don't pay attention. Is there any kind of recall and are they fixing this problem on out of warranty cars that are stock?

If it is stock it should be covered under the power train warranty (5/100k)

There is a TSB but no recall

So is this a known problem only in the LS3?

I have had multiple LS motors and this is the not only the first time I have ever had it happen to me but first time I have ever heard of it. The interesting thing is i believe it is the same part number on the LS1, LS2, and LS3. It seems it only affects LS3s