I need a truck or SUV, thoughts?

Diamonds

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You really have to be careful with frame rot with third gen 4runners and also be careful of strawberry milkshake. The trans cooler runs off the radiator and will mix and basically destroy the trans. I have owned a few and they are excellent if those two things are addressed properly.

Bunch of English professors in here, huh? Anyone talking about towing should re-read OP, there's nothing mentioned about towing. Just a desire to put targets in the bed. This is more of a "I want something I don't care that much about because I'm tired of beating on my nice cars" not "I want the Teeeeeeruk you've always dreamed of!".

OP, if the only knocks on the 04-07 Titan are "underpowered" and "lose value quickly as a result" then it sounds like the perfect truck for you. Your truck needs are so different than the majority of truck buyers you should look for something with the worst tow rating, shortest bed, and least interest among the general truck using population.

Clearly, though, the answer to OP's problem is a Subaru BRAT/Baja.

the only thing I caution with a chevy with over 100,000 miles, esp a tahoe or yukon, is get one where the transmission has already been rebuilt or replaced. For some reason with chevys it isn't if but when. My father is a dyed in the wool chevy guy and every suburban and Tahoe he has had has needed a trans, usually around 150K miles. He doesn't abuse his trucks but they have hauled a motorcycle trailer a million times and towed a car and car trailer a few times (all of his are 1500 series). In fact I think the volt is the only chevy he has had in the last 20 years that didn't need a transmission. He's not the only one, my cousins's 2006 tahoe needed a trans also at around the same mileage.

if you buy a manual trans pickup I don't think this is an issue.

What about a frontier? Sounds like you don't need a full size truck, so go mid sized.

My uncle has a crew cab Frontier with a pop up camper in the bed that he drives all over NorCal and absolutely loves it. They are not as well regarded as Tacomas so they tend to sell for less, though I've heard there are some maintenance things you want to nip in the bud like water pump and timing chain? Not 100% sure on those but a buddy of mine just bought an Xterra, he was originally looking for Frontiers and made mention of similar maint. items.

I have had a few friends with Titans and none of them liked the truck after buying it. Rides like crap, all kinds of suspension issues, AC issues, and Leaks.

I wanted a titan back in the day and glad I did not go that route. I would stick with Toyota if it were me.

I love my tundra crewmax.

I found an 04 Tahoe with 165k miles for 6250. Cloth interior but the whole thing looks clean.

Thoughts? Things to look for?

Brake lines. They like to rust out, the controls for the the Hvac panels likes to quit working as well as the blower motor. All pretty cheap fixs if you can do them yourself I got mine for 675 bucks because it had bad brake lines. Has 234k on it now and still runs strong. And if you ever did decided to tow with it they tow great. I've pulled around my old 2012 mustang with it and my old 65 with it though 5 inches of snow. I've always been a ford guy but I do like my Yukon a lot. Been a great "beater" to me. Cargo space is nice. I've had a few complete engines ect in the back of it with the seats outs.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g226/ryan218/Mobile%20Uploads/image-43.jpg

Geeze nothing like spending 10k on a 10-15 year old vehicle with 250,000+ mileage...

What about a S-10 crewcab?

Id rather have a full size!

To throw something crazy out there why not a Sport Trac? It'll do what you are looking for and at half the mileage and price. Not quite full size but larger than a 1/4 ton and still have a full back seat.

Geeze nothing like spending 10k on a 10-15 year old vehicle with 250,000+ mileage...

To throw something crazy out there why not a Sport Trac? It'll do what you are looking for and at half the mileage and price. Not quite full size but larger than a 1/4 ton and still have a full back seat.

Sport-Trac isn't a car for me. Cool concept. Maybe see myself in an avalanche.

S10 is also a small truck. Not for me.

Excursion - Are fords reliable? I always hear otherwise.

Excursions are about the most reliable way to make your banker think you are burning drums of gasoline weekly in an open pit in your backyard.

Technically the S10 is a "midsize" truck. I had a 1995 S10 blazer and it wasn't bad. never felt small and was perfectly capable. There is a guy in my complex with a ZR5 s10 and I keep looking at it and thinking "eh its not bad". FWIW if you can find an unmodified unrotted ZR2 extended cab - those things are pretty tough.

Saw a Colorado Quad cab parked next to a 1990's fulsize 1500 extended cab short bed and realized that they were pretty much the same size. Colorado had more interior room but the 1500 had more bed. So it's all relative.

Sport-Trac isn't a car for me. Cool concept. Maybe see myself in an avalanche.

Bob, I love my Yukon, it took me 4 months to find the one I purchased and I got a hell of a deal on it.