Beater recommendations

gillbot

We've been leaning towards a Dodge/Chrysler minivan (lol all you want, they haul shit like no other!) but I can't seem to find one that doesn't have a shitload of miles for a great price (I'm fucking cheap) so I'm trying to decide if I should up the budget or look elsewhere. Thoughts are max seating and cheap, so minivan fits the bill for seating thus far but budget doesn't fall in line. I've had a good bit of experience with them and they rocked up till about 75k miles, but that's when we'd turn them in for a new one. Seems like of the few I went through, they were nearly flawless aside from brakes up until that point with one needing a replacement trans at 75k.

Newer would be best as reliable is key since it will be the kid hauler through the winter while the camaro and challenger hibernate. I'm not opposed to something completely different either, but if it can't fit 6+ it's out. Also, if it doesn't have the flexibility of a lot of cargo space it needs to be able to tow. I know the van can haul people OR cargo, and that's fine. That's exactly the flexibility I like, but after looking I was considering the Durango as well. Sure, it may not have the internal space of the minivan but it can tow. I'm on the fence though as it seems to get even worse reviews over the van.

Should I just go for the minivan and get an old ass one on the super cheap? Spend the coin for a newer one? Compromise on something different like an suv or go for an off brand like a Kia? Say fuck it, get a Dodge Charger hellcat and if I need to move 6+ people, strap the kids to the roof and floor it with 0 fucks given?

Options?

Tahoe, Suburban, or Caprice/Roadmaster wagon. If you're dead set on a minivan, it shouldn't be too hard to find a cheap Odyssey or Montana or something
Don't want a barge, I have the challenger for that.

My SiL has a Town & Country..... Other than being a mini-van, it's not a bad people mover...

KillJoy

I've had several town n countries and caravans as company vehicles and they were great up to 75k when we turned them in. All I can find in the cheap range are 75k+ so I'm looking for feedback on anyone who has put a shitload of miles on them to see how they hold up. I hear trans problems are to be expected but that also seems to be heresy so I'm not sure. Aside from them eating brakes like candy, I'm ok with them. I just don't know what to look for over 75k. I've also heard to look for receipts for a timing chain or belts after 80k or so.

I hear that the Honda van doesn't like transmissions? Just hear say though...

I'm open to others, would just like to know what to expect.

My dad had a 99 Montana that had like 250k on it when he sold it, never had a single problem. He had a 92 Lumina APV van before that, same deal. My mom had a 96 TransSport that went to 240k before the trans let go, and my GF's mom daily drives an 03 Montana that's over 200k and been solid as well. From my experience they seem like great vehicles.

I <3 my Odyssey. That being said...

Look at the Kia Sportage/Hyundai Entourage as an alternative, or my favorite if I did it all over again: the Mazda MPV. These things are indestructible, and very well engineered. Try to find one under 100k miles that some older couple owned to shuttle their grandkids around on occasion:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mazda-MPV-GT-/121656389374?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c53492efe&item=121656389374

My dad had a 99 Montana that had like 250k on it when he sold it, never had a single problem. He had a 92 Lumina APV van before that, same deal. My mom had a 96 TransSport that went to 240k before the trans let go, and my GF's mom daily drives an 03 Montana that's over 200k and been solid as well. From my experience they seem like great vehicles.

My parents have a 2000 Silhouette for sale, well-kept. GM 3400. It has about 250k miles on it, but its all highway. They used to drive it out to Yellowstone and Montana and such on vacation in the summers. New struts and shocks all around, air shocks in the rear, full leather interior. Engine was replaced last year due to head gasket failure. I think they want to get 2000 out of it; not sure if crack-pipe, but it does ride nicely.

Ford Flex?

Yes for bigger budget

the Mazda MPV. These things are indestructible, and very well engineered. Try to find one under 100k miles that some older couple owned to shuttle their grandkids around on occasion:

Yes for smaller budget. I'd throw in a Mazda5 as well but they are slightly smaller I think. Still 6-7 seating and easier to find.

Thread is useless with out a price point to go off of.

+1

What is cheap? 7k? 5k?

Not $25k, that's all I'm really thinking since that's new territory. I'd say under $10k but I'm really looking for the best bang for the buck. If that's buying something NICE for $10k, fine. I'm also good with buying something decent for $2k. I just don't want a pile that spends its life getting fixed.

I <3 my Odyssey. That being said...

Look at the Kia Sportage/Hyundai Entourage as an alternative, or my favorite if I did it all over again: the Mazda MPV. These things are indestructible, and very well engineered. Try to find one under 100k miles that some older couple owned to shuttle their grandkids around on occasion:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mazda-MPV-GT-/121656389374?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c53492efe&item=121656389374

Good info, exactly what I'm looking for. I have been seriously considering a Kia of some flavor.

Thread is useless with out a price point to go off of.

$0 to <$25k.

I would look for the caravan with the stow and go. It is a godsend.

At least that's what I've heard.

That's the bulk of my experience with minivans. They are absolutely badass imho. I've hauled full sheets of plywood, drywall, atvs and a riding tractor. My only concern is reliability. As I've said, mine were good till 75k but that's when we turned them in for a new one. Most of what I've seen out there are over 75k so I'd like opinions if anyone has gone beyond or if anyone has an opinion on something different at a comparable price point.