Transporting a firearm

Rocky31186

I understand what states now accept Ohio CHL. But I want to check all states I will be going through to verify transportation laws (Open, concealed, console)

Is there an easier way to research each state? I feel like I have been searching for 2 hours and found nothing.

When I travel through states we don't have reciprocity with, I call that state's state police get the name of the officer and ask their guidance. I would also ask when on line I can reference what their states laws are. Then go to the web page and confirm the laws.

Also, as an extra effort, when I travel through New York I disassemble the weapons. Depending on the weapons you have, this may or may not work. But, I'm trying to show as much effort as I can that I don't have any intent to use them where I'm not allowed to.

They can have different laws, and the same process follows if you are unsure. You can also read the state's Attorney General's site. I'm sure if the info is not there, it will have other references to assist.

Depending on what the reason is I agree with joe I can't see any state where you disassemble the firearm and also would have it stored in multiple places throught the vehicle where you can not access at the same time that for whatever reason that state give you any sort of issue

If it is just your carry gun, than that makes things more cut and dry. If you don't have that states required training and permit, you don't have a loaded gun, or gun on you. If your concern is how can you protect your family if you can't carry, then learning other forms of defence may be needed. I'm a fan of pepper spray. I don't like people defending themselves with a knife, because 99% of people have not training with a knife. Increase you vigilance and awareness and don't put yourself in areas where you think you may have confrontation. Being safe, with and without a gun on you, is a life of de-escalation and situational assessment.

But, hands down, I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Make decisions you can live with, and own the consequences of your actions.

Do the speed limit, use your blinkers, make sure your vehicle is in proper repair with updated stickers. Keep your firearm on your persons like normal.

inb4paul tells me this is a stupid idea.

It is. You can do everything right and still get pulled over, or be approached by an officer in which your supposed to tell them if you are armed. You do this in an area in which your doing it wrong, or your not allowed you could be in alot of trouble. Is it worth getting arrested,fines, and loss of CHL? NOPE, thats why Rocky is trying to be responsible and get the correct information, not dumb remarks like this.

Carry on being safe rocky.

If it is just your carry gun, than that makes things more cut and dry. If you don't have that states required training and permit, you don't have a loaded gun, or gun on you. If your concern is how can you protect your family if you can't carry, then learning other forms of defence may be needed. I'm a fan of pepper spray. I don't like people defending themselves with a knife, because 99% of people have not training with a knife. Increase you vigilance and awareness and don't put yourself in areas where you think you may have confrontation. Being safe, with and without a gun on you, is a life of de-escalation and situational assessment.

But, hands down, I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6. Make decisions you can live with, and own the consequences of your actions.

I understand this is the trainer in you.. and I am well aware of how to de-escalate a situation, and I know to not put myself in a situation. But that has nothing to do with bringing my sidearm out of town with me. I won't bring a knife, pepper spray, a dog, a rock to a gun fight. If I am driving out of town and happen to get a flat tire at 2 am and a vehicle pulls up I want to know I can defend myself, and my kids whom are helpless in some situations. Some people feed on out of towners.

I'm not looking to break any laws, and definitely not looking to transport my carry gun illegally and get myself In a ton of trouble.

Do the speed limit, use your blinkers, make sure your vehicle is in proper repair with updated stickers. Keep your firearm on your persons like normal.

Unfortunately that doesn't always work. And when you still get pulled over in a state that has specific rules on transporting you could get in a lot of trouble.

Going off memory here so any of this could be wrong, but I think NC doesn't allow open carry, and SC allows ANYONE to have a loaded gun in their vehicle, but I don't remember if it has to be stowed or open. WV allows whatever and no clue on VA.

Again, double check all that.

I cannot stress enough how bad of an idea this is.

When we travel for races I don't carry because Andrew usually does and he has had to take his guns apart many times while traveling to be 100% sure there were zero issues.

Its not worth the felony to feel safe, because the odds are hire the law will get you before the bad guys do.

Yeah that's my issue, I'm not coming up with good up to date info.

I'm looking for WV, VA, NC, SC

I flew to FL and drove back to OH in June. I checked and most (FL, GA, SC, VA, WV) said ok to carry on me in my pocket. NC was not telling me what I wanted so I called the highway patrol or sherrif (can't remember). he said "we have an agreement with OH, so follow their law".

not saying this is sound legal advice, but it's what i did

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Click whatever state you need to research, and start reading.

Thank you, that is what I was looking for. In my research for anyone interested this Is what I've found.

Duty to inform:

WV- NO

NC- YES

VA- NO

SC- YES

Do "No gun signs" have force of law:

WV- DO NOT

NC- DO

VA- DO NOT

SC- DO

Open carry legal:

VA- YES

WV- YES

NC- YES

SC- NO

Transport in vehicle:

WV- CONCEALED OR OPEN

NC- MUST BE OPEN

VA- IN "CLOSED COMPARTMENT"

SC- IN "CLOSED COMPARTMENT"

Carry in restaurants that serve alcohol:

NC, WV, VA, SC - ALL YES

These are things that everyone should be looking up to travel to other areas. But I guess not everyone likes to be protected and carry as much as others.