Shooting Guns this weekend?

Diamonds

Update... Next Sunday I am going to Rayners. It's supposed to be sunny (but we all know that Ohio weather is hit/miss). Let me know if you want to join and we can meet there.

You just shooting or shooting a match?

I think they're running a USPSA match there on Sunday.

I guess Thunder Valley just looked a lot further away for some reason. Only 15 minutes further than Briar Rabbit for me and the range is longer.

Bought a new scope for my uncle's 270 Winchester I inherited (Remington 721) so might try a really long range sometime.

I hate that I cant go with you on weekdays Ryan. I'd love an empty range.

So, just to confirm - If anyone is interested we are going to TVP this weekend as long as its not a monsoon.

Oh, and also... Ryan... Xsteel just sent me this setup to try out. Cant wait.

http://xsteeltargets.com/products/stake-n-shoot

AND

http://xsteeltargets.com/products/38-ar500-mini-ipsc-single-mount

Im excited as I quest for take-down setups that don't take up a bunch of space.

$53 for those man that seems steep, Ive been messing around with some ideas and came up with something sort of like that and made 2 of them for about $20 they just slide down over a T-post

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k204/stangsn95gt/221_zps6gphvjzl.jpeg

Those look great!

I didn't pay anything for that setup though from Xsteel as an FYI.

Oh, and an update about the range.

Attended Thunder Valley Precision yesterday. Nice range, but falls short to Rayners for several reasons.

Positives about TVP:

You can shoot from 100-1760 yards in one shooting position.

Negatives about TVP:

1. distances are as follows, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 1000, 1760 (huge gaps after 700 yards).

2. Each distance really only has 1 size option whereas Rayners allows you to start big and then move to smaller targets on the same rack. TVP seems haphazard in their layout.

3. 3/4 of the targets are surrounded by tall grass.. Cant see the misses.

4. Out of (let's say 14) pieces of steel, 2 of them would make an audible report. The rest you had to base on movement/impact "dust".

5. I only saw 1 wind flag (at 1000). I'm used to seeing 2-3 on the way to 1000.

I shot okay for the conditions noted. I was testing out a new projectile (Sierra tipped matchking) rather than the standard matchking so "not seeing" the misses was frustrating. But, when it was on... it was on (at a G).

Got to also look through a couple scopes I always wanted to peep through. Got to look through a Nightforce BEAST.... NOT worth the 4,000 price tag. The owner even told me that my scope blew his away when he looked through both and compared his to mine.

All in all, I'm sticking with Rayners.

I would love to come be friends and shoot guns, but I don't have any guns yet.

You have friends with guns who will let you use them, just bring some ammo and your ear protection, along with beer to drink after we are done and have to clean everything :lol:

Oh, and an update about the range.

Attended Thunder Valley Precision yesterday. Nice range, but falls short to Rayners for several reasons.

Positives about TVP:

You can shoot from 100-1760 yards in one shooting position.

Negatives about TVP:

1. distances are as follows, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 1000, 1760 (huge gaps after 700 yards).

2. Each distance really only has 1 size option whereas Rayners allows you to start big and then move to smaller targets on the same rack. TVP seems haphazard in their layout.

3. 3/4 of the targets are surrounded by tall grass.. Cant see the misses.

4. Out of (let's say 14) pieces of steel, 2 of them would make an audible report. The rest you had to base on movement/impact "dust".

5. I only saw 1 wind flag (at 1000). I'm used to seeing 2-3 on the way to 1000.

I shot okay for the conditions noted. I was testing out a new projectile (Sierra tipped matchking) rather than the standard matchking so "not seeing" the misses was frustrating. But, when it was on... it was on (at a G).

Got to also look through a couple scopes I always wanted to peep through. Got to look through a Nightforce BEAST.... NOT worth the 4,000 price tag. The owner even told me that my scope blew his away when he looked through both and compared his to mine.

All in all, I'm sticking with Rayners.

Is Rayners open to the public or match only? Hard to tell from the website

Is Rayners open to the public or match only? Hard to tell from the website

They are open to the public but you need to call them 3-5 days before you request to come out. The could be "not open", doing "range Maintenence", or certain parts of the range could be close because of other matches. For instance, i made this thread, called them, and they told me that only the two ranges to talking 330-600yards would be open on Sunday due to a pistol match being held in an area that wouldn't allow us to go for a G.