Basement waterproofing

yesitsdon

With all this rain, I'm getting water in my basement from the four corners so I'm now looking for a company that can identify the problem and provide some options for repair. It's an old home (1927) so at this point I don't know if it's a drainage problem or structure related so any recommendations on a company that can analyze the situation?

Thanks!

Also interested- my duplex is raining from the middle of the walls and it was built in 1927 as well.

I did talk to a guy today that does a 2 part epoxy seal on all the walls, he is coming to quote me tomorrow. He is my painter for the rentals and I didn't even know he offered this service, so I'll let you know the cost. He said it 100% stops leaking.

All I can recommend is getting good number of quotes for something like this.

Had an issue with mine a few years ago and got it fixed ( although I cant remember off top of my head who we used ) but quotes to fix it ranged a LOT. As in differences of thousands of dollars range, with variety of repair methods.

All painting the inside of the walls does is stop the water from getting things in your basement wet, it does not stop the damage to the foundation.

All painting the inside of the walls does is stop the water from getting things in your basement wet, it does not stop the damage to the foundation.

What he said. I have the same problem in my old house. The walls have already started to crack and mold is growing. You really have only a few options at that point. Either slope your yard with truck loads of fill dirt or dig a trench all around your house and fix the outside wall. If you waterproof the wall all the way down to the foundation on the outside plus the inside it will stop any further water from leaking in.

Regardless setup a dehumidifier and run a drip hose to the drain. This is better than doing nothing. If you notice mold anywhere on your concrete walls spray bleach on it and scrub. If it doesn't remove it try this. http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-1-gal-Mold-Stain-and-Mildew-Stain-Remover-ZUMILDEW128/100011298

Good luck man.

Check the grading around your basement/foundation (outside the home). Has it 'sunk' over time? Make sure the grading is going away from the house. Do you have conductor lines that lead out to the street or a gutter system that doesn't go underground. Make sure the conductor lines are making it all the way to the street and there is not a cracked line going into your foundation.

Check where the problem is originating, and could be as simple as building up the grading around the house so the water does pool and want to seep into the ground by your foundation.

When I get a house and if this is needed its going to be a DIY. Its a tough job but doing it correctly and putting in the work saves you a lot of money. Unless you know some ukies that do it for the low ;)

i am having the same issues. as an added problem, the water is bubbling UP THROUGH THE CONCRETE FLOOR as well. how do i fix that? it's coming in from all sides!

French drain would help some of that. You basically put a large pipe around or under your foundation that is filled with holes. The water collects in the pipe and flows out away from your house. You can use a water pump or depending on the slope of your yard gravity would work.

I am actually going to make one for my down spouts. The plan is to run a very long pipe next to my driveway going out towards the sidewalk. It slopes down hill so gravity would pull it all away and hopefully into the city drain.

I fucking hate the rain this week. So many puddles of water in my grass :mad:

Appreciate all the info. I was headed to craigslist and angieslist to check the adds and start quote hunting but definitely wanted to see if anyone here had used a decent priced company that they felt good about recommending.

Answers to further questions:

#5 no mold and I have a dehumidifier running almost 24/7. 3 sides of the home are slightly graded but could prob. be increased to help water flow but one side is basically concrete walk way and stone patio which would probably be destroyed with the trench process but if it's in the budget then it's a possibility.

#6 concrete block walls, I have 8 downspouts, only the back 3 go into the ground, the rest have the extension that flow 3-5' from the house (gutters have been cleaned, thought that might ease the problem but it didn't)

#7 dehumidifier working on overtime LOL

#8 I've been in the home 6 years and I've noticed some settling. Slight slope grading. Not sure what a conductor line is. Is it the line, the downspouts that go into the ground flow into or is that the main line (had it cleared of roots earlier this year)?

#9 I'm open to pulling the dirt up and french drain if it's the recommended route

This looks like it's going to be a very interesting home improvement undertaking! lol

Check your drains from the gutter to the road.

SiL's were clogged, allowed water to sit around the foundation. The Sump Pump ran 24-7 until it died. Water instantly came in from all walls and the floor.

Replaced the Pump, and cleaned the drains, no problems since.

:thumbup:

KillJoy

I have a consultation with Ohio Basement Authority on the 28th. Decent BBB score. They will provide different options at different price ranges so I have time to prepare myself for the sticker shock. lol

They are very expensive, but will give you a free book and seem pretty knowledgeable. They'll also try to sell you a $2000 dehumidifier

Got my free "dry basement science" book and info in the mail from Ohio Basement Authority. Chances are they may be out of my price range. I also have a co. off craigslist coming on Monday to take a look so I'll have quotes from both ends of the spectrum

So my craigslist consultation had to reschedule. The basement authority provided a 10K estimate for the sump pump and their indoor water guard system based off the sq footage of my basement.

id avoid your cl dude. Once you give him 5K+ and he is "done", problems will rise and he'll be gone.. and you will be right where you are today. Atleast if you overpay for Basement Doctors or Basement Authority you have a legit phone number to call or address to visit.