Help, going crazy P0455 and P0496

PRD2BDF

I've gotten the P0455 (gross evap leak) twice and checked the gas cap, did the ol' Vaseline on the gas cap trick.

Now it has become a p0496 (Evap emission high purge flow fault)

I've got no idea because these codes are so generic and could be anything.

It's on my car, 2011 SAAB 9-5 turbo4 (direct injected if that helps)

I've gotten the P0455 (gross evap leak) twice and checked the gas cap, did the ol' Vaseline on the gas cap trick.

Now it has become a p0496 (Evap emission high purge flow fault)

I've got no idea because these codes are so generic and could be anything.

It's on my car, 2011 SAAB 9-5 turbo4 (direct injected if that helps)

Let's start with a basic approach - the code is not "generic", it is tied to a specific sensor and a specific condition that may have multiple causes. The code is thrown by the fuel tank pressure sensor showing vacuum draw on the evap system when the evap purge solenoid is closed and the vent solenoid is open.

So generally there may be a problem with your EVAP system. Start with a visual inspection and look for any split lines, disconnected lines, breaks in the wiring, etc... If you don't see any move to diagnostics and test the individual components.

Do you have any other symptoms? rough idle?

To test the purge valve disconnect the hose from it to the Throttle Body at the purge valve and plug the end of it. if the idle changes (gets smoother) then the purge valve is going bad. Also check the ends when you remove the hose as they might have cracked.

A quick google search indicates that the purge valve is a pretty common failure linked to this code and it is less than $100 to replace yourself. here is a good writeup on how to replace it:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153485

Thank you Kerry. I only mentioned that it was generic because it doesn't specifically say what part is wrong and when I googled for symptoms and causes, it gave mena wide range of things that could be wrong.

I have no symptoms. It just appeared out of the blue. The car start and idles fine.

That link you provided is for the 2.8T V6 9-3 mine is the direct injected 2.0T 9-5

I will check the lines again and to be frank, they all look the same.

I went ahead and ordered a new purge valve. It was only 20 bucks and in testing, I got another code, a P0443 which says purge valve malfunction. So in conjunction with the 0496 and 0455, it seems like the purge valve is failing.

Bump. I ordered a new purge valve as I mentioned. It still hasn't arrived.

I still have a consistent P0496. Yesterday, I filled up the gas tank with 20 bucks worth of gas and the car struggled to start five times. In these five times, it felt like it couldn't get enough gas. Is that related to the purge valve going bad?

Bump. I ordered a new purge valve as I mentioned. It still hasn't arrived.

I still have a consistent P0496. Yesterday, I filled up the gas tank with 20 bucks worth of gas and the car struggled to start five times. In these five times, it felt like it couldn't get enough gas. Is that related to the purge valve going bad?

Could be. If purge valve is stuck open, its a vacuum leak