Beginner/starter camera

Radio Flyer1647545514

Looking for an inexpensive camera for a total beginner.

Looking to use this on my range days and on my climbing trips.

My budget is as low as possible to get good 8mage quality, good resale when I want to upgrade and something easy to use.

Suggestions?

Iphone.

You think I am being a smartass, but really, these days a lot more happens in photoshop than it does in the camera. Part of the skill of taking a picture is learning how to compose your picture.

Now granted, I get that you probably want a separate camera from your phone so you don't fill up your memory with a lot of pics, but let's start with what you want to shoot and what you want it to do:

- image quality requirements?

- size? (easy to transport vs ability to carry multiple lenses, etc)

- action shots? (DSLR vs point and click)

- lighting?

- ability to edit?

Looking for an inexpensive camera for a total beginner.

Looking to use this on my range days and on my climbing trips.

My budget is as low as possible to get good 8mage quality, good resale when I want to upgrade and something easy to use.

Suggestions?

For what you are looking to do I suggest staying away from camera phones, for real pictures you will need at least a high end point and shoot, or an entry level DLSR.

An entry level DLSR will allow you to grow via better lens selection and give you more features.

For range days you can use the timer features to do some cool shots and on climbing trips landscape pictures will be much better.

The other reason I suggest a DLSR will be if you take a shot you want to print, the resolution and size will be better.

An entry level Canon setup can be found pretty cheap. You can even buy a referb or gently used setup for a steal. The Rebel series would be a great place to start, I know some magazine people that make good money with one.

When it comes down to it, the camera is only as good as the user. You can take an "entry level" DLSR and snap killer shots with some basic training, ask me how I know :)

Iphone. You think I am being a smartass, but really, these days a lot more happens in photoshop than it does in the
camera.

:slap:

Im a total newb and have been enjoying my Sony Alpha a6000. I recommend it.

^^ Great suggestion, especially for a newbie into the hobby. Lots of flexibility yet awesome training wheels where and when needed. Can be had with some basic lenses for the cheap too.

Honestly, I'd recommended an entry level DSLR but costs might be a bit more and the way things are progressing mirrorless is likely going to take over the main-stay soon. My current Canon's will very likely be my last DSLR's.

Canon SL1. I have one. It's the smallest and lightest DSLR on the market, which may be something to consider if you're going to be lugging it around. It's also quite durable.

Beat me to it... great for active people who need something light and small to travel with. Great entry level DSLR.

I have the Note4.

Pictures look great on my screen but, as soon as I post them online they look like crap and the detail is gone.

If I do get into editing I want it to be quick minor changes. The only editing tool I've ever used is on my mac, just the standard photo editing tool. I've done some edits that make my photos look better but I still feel there is detail missing from the photo due to my camera quality of my phone.

I've looked at minor tutorials on how to set up good looking pictures. I've got a few I'm proud of but still want more out of them.

I'm not taking any videos at all. Correct me if I'm wrong but I could get a non video camera with the same quality but save by not having the video portion on it.

For climbing I always have my gear split between another person if I'm climbing ropes and I have a light load for bouldering so weight isn't a huge concern. I can take pictures from the ground, I can also anchor in above and take photos from above so the option to swap lenses to get good shots from different angles and distances is something I'd want, if that's even necessary.

With the firearms, I guess I just don't feel I'm getting good quality shots that pick up all of the detail I'm looking to get. Even here on this site my pictures look like junk compared to what I see from a lot of others posting. I can't fit my firearm in the frame and pick up all of the detail I want it to with long guns.

It may just be that I need more practice setting the stage for the picture, but I still feel like I'll want more after I get that part down. It's just frustrating to even take the time to do it since I'm still not happy with the low quality detail I get from it.

You say mirrorless is taking over and DSLR is on it's way out. Should i look into getting one of these entry level cameras so I'm used to them when/if I feel the time to upgrade comes? Will there be no difference and a DSLR will work fine for me and give me a good foundation to build on?

Thanks for all of the input and suggestions thus far. I'll look into all of the models listed above.

DSLR is what you want for sure, and I suggest getting your feet wet with one of the entry level cameras before you go willy nilly with a mirrorless. TBH, I don't know how much truth there is behind mirrorless replacing DSLR. The technology is there, but I've seen nobody actually keep their Sony A series cameras because they just can't perform with the professional DSLR work horses Canon and Nikon make. There's still quite a ways for mirrorless to go before it becomes industry standard, and I don't see that happening any time within the next 10 years, even.

I have the Note4.Pictures look great on my screen but, as soon as I post them online they look like crap and the detail is gone.

Any cell phone today is pretty much a replacement for a lower end point and shoot (P&S.) There are 2-3 really good higher end P&S cameras out there worth the coin they are asking but the rest can be replaced by your Note 4. The details are there but it lacks dynamic range and the pixels overall don't react well to editing.

I've looked at minor tutorials on how to set up good looking pictures. I've got a few I'm proud of but still want more out of them.

Focus on composition and the path the eye follow. Tell a story with simplicity and good lighting.

I'm not taking any videos at all. Correct me if I'm wrong but I could get a non video camera with the same quality but save by not having the video portion on it.

Yes, you could but most cameras today are leaning towards offering decent video capabilities so you end up paying for them regardless.

For climbing I always have my gear split between another person if I'm climbing ropes and I have a light load for bouldering so weight isn't a huge concern. I can take pictures from the ground, I can also anchor in above and take photos from above so the option to swap lenses to get good shots from different angles and distances is something I'd want, if that's even necessary.

Okay. You'll have that capability. There are some really good lenses that can cover the ground you're looking to shoot.

With the firearms, I guess I just don't feel I'm getting good quality shots that pick up all of the detail I'm looking to get. Even here on this site my pictures look like junk compared to what I see from a lot of others posting. I can't fit my firearm in the frame and pick up all of the detail I want it to with long guns.

The key here is lighting. Don't stress too much. I set up a lot of such shots with good lighting and have taken many with a simple P&S even.

It may just be that I need more practice setting the stage for the picture, but I still feel like I'll want more after I get that part down. It's just frustrating to even take the time to do it since I'm still not happy with the low quality detail I get from it.

We can look at some examples of your shots and walk through what the issues might be.

You say mirrorless is taking over and DSLR is on it's way out. Should i look into getting one of these entry level cameras so I'm used to them when/if I feel the time to upgrade comes? Will there be no difference and a DSLR will work fine for me and give me a good foundation to build on?

DSLR's aren't on the way out just yet but the door is open and the market has spoken. Nikon and Canon are both developing their solutions with Nikon likely going to make the first real move with the support of Sony. Either will work well for what your shooting today. I only mention it to stir the pot. I've worked for Panasonic, Canon and Kodak in my day so I see the shift coming more clearly in my mind.

Thanks for all of the input and suggestions thus far. I'll look into all of the models listed above.

Anytime. The main reason I followed the Sony lead posted (ironic as I'm a Canon guy) is because the technology and camera is top notch, costs are in your reach and the skills and knowledge using them will be the same as a DSLR. Size is very reasonable for you too.

If you ever want to meet up for coffee and cameras, that's easy to do. I love chatting about both and used to do a fair amount of photography instruction.

I have an 2007 Panasonic FZ50 I have been thinking about selling to upgrade to their new model of the same line. Sounds like it might be good place for you to start. I bought it after I sold all of might 35mm DSLR equipment. I like the convenience of not having to carry a bunch of lens more than I value the added quality you get with better more expensive equipment. That said I shot a wedding for a friend with this camera and the photos were quite acceptable.

Let me know if you want more details.

Pdqgp, thanks for the offer I'd like to take you up on that. I'll message you to try and find a time we can do that.

93rx7, thanks for the offer, I'm still a month away from buying as it is. I'm trying to gather information, hold some cameras and there are a few people I climb with I want to get some info from before I jump into a purchase.