Used Car Issues

mrhobbz

So, I traded in my SUV for a 2013 F150 last week. I was in Columbus and found one, one thing I noticed is it had an exhaust leak. I looked under it and noticed the last owner had a flowmaster welded in and had removed the resonator so I figured it was probably a bad weld/loose band clamp or along those lines.

Rather than screw with it myself I drove it back to SC and took it over to a shop where they found that both sides of the Y pipe were bent and pushed all the way up to the floor pans which is causing a leak at the manifold flanges.

So i start looking for prices and what do you know.. $800 for the passenger side of the y pipe and $450 for the driver side.

The truck was listed as still having a factory warranty but apparently it doesn't per ford (not that it would cover this) and there was a bunch of other small items on their repair order that they didn't actually fix.

It's been 6 days since I bought the car, is this worth fighting with the dealer over further? So far they have offered to sell me the parts at cost but I'm going to take it to an exhaust shop to see if they can rework the pipes.

If I have to replace them I'm pretty sure I'm just going to order a catless Y pipe for $400 and an hptuner cable and call it a day.

He is in SC now. Take it to an exhaust shop and see what they would want for it.

I'd try fussing with the dealer over other little stuff but an exhaust or bent exhaust from the previous owner is something they will probably never care about. Plus they would normally want it brought to them rather than taken somewhere else.

Edited by Turbs3000

He is in SC now. Take it to an exhaust shop and see what they would want for it.

I'd try fussing with the dealer over other little stuff but an exhaust or bent exhaust from the previous owner is something they will probably never care about. Plus they would normally want it brought to them rather than taken somewhere else.

I'm going to take it to an exhaust shop this week (all of them are closed on the weekends here). I think if they bend the rear of both sides it'll probably get straightened out enough to seal at the flanges. I talked to the dealership and they basically said I'm SOL, however they will sell me the parts at their cost so if i *have* to I'll go that route. If an exhaust shop can just bend them out enough to seal I'd be happy with that, this is just a beater truck (3.7L SXT) for daily driving and hauling crap from lowes

PM me the VIN, I can run an OASIS on it and see if it is still under warranty.

PM sent, thank you sir!

Aftermarket headers and y pipe are less than $800, gotta be able to find a pull of or something rather cheap.

The cheapest ones I could find were without cats for $400, so I'd have to order hptuners too (since it supports the 13' 3.7L) There aren't any tuners/dynos here that aren't 3+ hours away

I'm pretty sure I may order an hptuners cable anyway for the F150 and the mustang. This way I can also fix the DBW shit on the F150 (the table is pretty conservative from the factory as I understand it)

• 1 month later...

So this thread is a month old at this point and I've run into other issues with the dealership.

I'm assuming these dealerships will sit on titles for a week or two so they can run them to the BMV to do the title work in batches. It's been over a month and I still haven't gotten a title and my Ohio temp tag expires on Sunday 10/4.

I had to file a BBB complaint and get the bank involved before I could even get the GM at the dealer I bought it from to call me back and now magically they're "working on addressing" the issue with the exhaust leak. They said they haven't even received the title from the previous owner yet and they had the truck on their lot for a month before I bought it.

Is it common practice for these dealers to sell vehicles before the title has been placed in their hand from the prior owner/lien holder?

No. No dealer I have ever known would take a trade, or buy a car from someone without title in hand or confirmed payoff from the lien holder.

At most it's a few days for the title to clear into the dealerships name not anywhere near a month or longer.

No. No dealer I have ever known would take a trade, or buy a car from someone without title in hand or confirmed payoff from the lien holder.

It's been 40 days so under the Title Defect Recission act I have the right to request that the deal be canceled and a refund be issued so I'm going that route. Every time I call to find out there the title is at they jump around the question

So, I traded in my SUV for a 2013 F150 last week. I was in Columbus and found one, one thing I noticed is it had an exhaust leak. I looked under it and noticed the last owner had a flowmaster welded in and had removed the resonator so I figured it was probably a bad weld/loose band clamp or along those lines.

Rather than screw with it myself I drove it back to SC and took it over to a shop where they found that both sides of the Y pipe were bent and pushed all the way up to the floor pans which is causing a leak at the manifold flanges.

So i start looking for prices and what do you know.. $800 for the passenger side of the y pipe and $450 for the driver side.

The truck was listed as still having a factory warranty but apparently it doesn't per ford (not that it would cover this) and there was a bunch of other small items on their repair order that they didn't actually fix.

It's been 6 days since I bought the car, is this worth fighting with the dealer over further? So far they have offered to sell me the parts at cost but I'm going to take it to an exhaust shop to see if they can rework the pipes.

If I have to replace them I'm pretty sure I'm just going to order a catless Y pipe for $400 and an hptuner cable and call it a day.

That sucks. If you were still in Columbus I would say fight the dealer. Its kind of a grey area though, they are supposed to catch and fix stuff like that in the inspection. If emissions stuff has been removed you can defintley go after the dealer to fix it because Im pretty sure they arent allowed to sell vehicles with emissions stuff removed. Otherwise I guess its upgrade time.

It's been 40 days so under the Title Defect Recission act I have the right to request that the deal be canceled and a refund be issued so I'm going that route. Every time I call to find out there the title is at they jump around the question

Make sure you do everything through proper, recorded channels so you cover your ass if they try to make an issue out of it. It may be prudent to contact an attorney that specializes in lemon law and TDRF cases in Ohio since you're out of state. Keep in mind that you'll have to drive that truck back here within 3 days IIRC.

Make sure you do everything through proper, recorded channels so you cover your ass if they try to make an issue out of it. It may be prudent to contact an attorney that specializes in lemon law and TDRF cases in Ohio since you're out of state. Keep in mind that you'll have to drive that truck back here within 3 days IIRC.

Driving the truck back isn't a problem.

I've documented everything I can on my end, I've got complaints in with the BBB, Attorney General as well as the bank that holds the loan on the truck (and they don't seem to happy about the situation)

The bank has also sent it over to their legal and compliance team.

I've got 3 statements along with quotes for the repair of the exhaust crap from 2 independent shops and 1 Ford dealership. I'm waiting for the person at the AG that handles the TDRF cases to give me a call back but from the sounds of it if the dealer refuses to refund the AG will refund it and go after the dealership (just not sure of what all that will take yet)

At this point I'd be ok with them paying for the $1400 y-pipe and calling it fair, and it would be a lot cheaper for them to do that than to pay for the $27,000 truck loan and the $25,000 fine from the AG. Waiting to see how it plays out

I've got 3 statements along with quotes for the repair of the exhaust crap from 2 independent shops and 1 Ford dealership. I'm waiting for the person at the AG that handles the TDRF cases to give me a call back but from the sounds of it if the dealer refuses to refund the AG will refund it and go after the dealership (just not sure of what all that will take yet)

I have been fortunate to work for a dealer that doesn't get involved in this sort of random bullshit, but I believe this is correct. Dealers pay into the fund so that customers can be quickly and easily refunded, and then the AG/Fund goes after the dealer to recover the money.

I've only ever had one issue of a title taking a while to get to a customer/lender, and it was because Toyota FS was being giant cunts about releasing the lien to us (non Toyota dealer). I couldn't understand why they didn't automatically issue a lien release when the original loan on the FRIGGIN 1999 LAND CRUISER was satisfied in 2005, but alas sitting here in 2015 I had to deal with those boneheads.

Still, the customer had already given us the title it was only an issue of getting transferred and we had it done in less than 3 weeks.

I have been fortunate to work for a dealer that doesn't get involved in this sort of random bullshit, but I believe this is correct. Dealers pay into the fund so that customers can be quickly and easily refunded, and then the AG/Fund goes after the dealer to recover the money.

I've only ever had one issue of a title taking a while to get to a customer/lender, and it was because Toyota FS was being giant cunts about releasing the lien to us (non Toyota dealer). I couldn't understand why they didn't automatically issue a lien release when the original loan on the FRIGGIN 1999 LAND CRUISER was satisfied in 2005, but alas sitting here in 2015 I had to deal with those boneheads.

Still, the customer had already given us the title it was only an issue of getting transferred and we had it done in less than 3 weeks.

I honestly think this is just a case of someone at the dealership dropping the ball, they had the truck on their lot for 28 days before I even came to look at it so they have had 69 days total to get the title transferred into their name which it still isn't as of today (the credit union checked on that this morning)

The exhaust itself wouldn't be that big of a deal to me, but the fallout from it regarding your warranty absolutely is. I would threaten legal action against the dealership if they don't replace it for you for free AND give you a warranty of their own, or buy the truck back at the price you paid, depending on your long term goals from this. In your shoes, I'd keep the truck, it's spiffy lookin' and I think they're pretty decent. Either way, the dealership lied about the warranty and you should be having this conversation with an attorney.

The exhaust itself wouldn't be that big of a deal to me, but the fallout from it regarding your warranty absolutely is. I would threaten legal action against the dealership if they don't replace it for you for free AND give you a warranty of their own, or buy the truck back at the price you paid, depending on your long term goals from this. In your shoes, I'd keep the truck, it's spiffy lookin' and I think they're pretty decent. Either way, the dealership lied about the warranty and you should be having this conversation with an attorney.

Yeah, honestly the exhaust issue isn't that big of a deal to me, the warranty issue is and the title issues.

They have responded to the BBB reply but apparently do not have to reading comprehension to realize that the exhaust leak has nothing to do with the aftermarket muffler.

"We are not aware of any aftermarket exhaust on the truck, neither the salesperson or the sales manager. Maybe since it was a Ford and not a Dodge and we didn't notice if the exhaust was factory or not. And as for the title we just talked to the Credit Union and we will be having this handled within the next 7 business days and also getting Mr. Briggs a new temp tag so he is legal. So with the exhaust we feel Mr Briggs had enough time to test drive the truck and look it over before his purchase, the truck was safe and a sound truck to be sold. We are sorry there is an exhaust leak but don't feel we are responsible for this repair Mr Briggs wants done."

Well, that is worked out. They are paying for the y pipe and I am calling it even at that.

Thanks for the all of the suggestions guys. Mean while, I'm going to take it to an exhaust shop and have the y-pipe bent back out :gabe: