LSx vehicles

Forrest Gump 9

This winter we will start a new project with the LSx heart. So after doing some rought calculations, it is better off if we buy a vehicle with the LSx engine and taking whatever we need for the swap. So the questions are which vehicles and years?

-Camaro

-trans am

-truck (1500,2500)

-suv (Tahoe, suburban,...)

We don't want to spend more than $5k for the donor vehicle. Is it feasible?

Wait wait so you just are looking for like say a lsx drop out? Why would you Wate money in a entire vehicle you won't use

If I were to do something like this it would be because you could grab any part you need for the swap off the donor car then make some of your money back by parting out the rest.

Yes, we will hope to use the engine, tranny, brakes, rear end,...

You can buy a drop out driveline, a better rear end, and brakes for well under 5k, your looking at so many different factors such as many different displacement engines, brakes are different, rear ends are different.

Need more info on what your looking to build toove yoi a better idea on the type of donor vehicle you would be looking for.

Or simply get a 5.3 from a yard for under $1000, spend $1500 on a nice rear end, 1500 on trans setup or less, and that still gives your 1k for brakes.. Much better stuff over stock

Depending on what you are doing....

Just go to car-part.com

find you a 4.8, 5.3 or 6.0 from a truck.

Deercreekauto was pretty nice when I bought my last 5.3

they won't usually come with alternator, power steering pump or A/C compressor nor the brackets. some will have the water pump and harness.

most places will even have a PCM that average about $60-100

But from my experience it's best to just replace most of that while the engine is not in anything.

Figure new accessories cost about $500 combined with $400-1,000 for an engine.

then buy a rebuilt transmission which you can get cheap... early 4l60e's had some issues.

then buy a good rearend and brakes you are still well under $5,000.

if you want an actual LS engine from what I've seen LS1s go for $1,000+

You could probably find a cheap high mileage 1 ton van with some good parts if you want to freashen things up. Just seems like a pretty vague question, if all you want are parts I'd just look into what you need parts wise because there are lots out there ready to go. Trucks starting getting LS based engines in 99, the LS1 came in the 97 Vette and 98 Camaro/Firebird. Vans actually were the last thing to use the traditional small block with both engines available in 01 or so(not positive on year). After that GM used the LS series for just about everything with a V8 except certain heavy duty trucks that had an 8.1.

4wd or 2wd? Colorado based v8 or older s10? Cheapest route would be a complete 2500hd dropout with 4l80e and transfer case. You could use all of the accessories and 4l80 would hold your power. Factory alternatives would be from a 1500 which would leave with you with a 4l60 or 65e and that would need to have to be upgraded internally. There are many options, depends on how big your budget is.

Argueably the cheapest rear would be an 8.8 swap. Pretty sure you can bolt an Explorer rear (or something like that it's a very similar leaf spring set up). Or there have been many people to take an 8.8 and weld on the tubes from a stock GM 7.5 10 bolt. Something to consider.

Argueably the cheapest rear would be an 8.8 swap. Pretty sure you can bolt an Explorer rear (or something like that it's a very similar leaf spring set up). Or there have been many people to take an 8.8 and weld on the tubes from a stock GM 7.5 10 bolt. Something to consider.

Does the factory 10 bolt have an offset pumpkin? I believe the Exploder 8.8 does.

Seeing as how a G8 and GTO have independent rear suspension, a Trailblazer has a 4 link, and an S10 sits on leaf springs none of that would be a "budget" swap.

Take measurements of the stock S10, cut axle tubes off. Pick up used 8.8 out of anything, cut off it's axle tubes and weld on the ones from an S10 and bolt it in. I know there are some fab skills involved, but this has been done before, and is very doable.

Otherwise swap the engine and trans, if you don't use sticky tires the 10 bolt will last a while. I mean I have the same rear end in my Camaro right now and I have no issues driving the car.