VW faking emissions tests?

gillbot

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well how do they test awd cars? just scan them for codes?

In states that do emissions testing, AWD vehicles cannot be tested obviously and they submit to a "readiness test". The car has a set of internal routines (catalyst temperature within xxx time etc) that are scanned using ODB2.

In states that do emissions testing, AWD vehicles cannot be tested obviously and they submit to a "readiness test". The car has a set of internal routines (catalyst temperature within xxx time etc) that are scanned using ODB2.

In NY, for OBD2 vehicles that is true. If your vehicle was OBD1 (like an old subaru) it used to be you had to find a shop with an AWD dyno, but eventually they started giving them an "low enhanced emissions inspection" because nobody had one. most of the OBD1 vehicles are aging out of the testing population, 25 years old is the cutoff.

What is a Low enhanced emissions inspection? If you vehicle is between 20 and 25 years old and made with the following equipment from the factory each item is visually checked to make sure it is present and working:

Functional gas cap.

Catalytic converter.

Exhaust gas recirculation valve.

Positive crankcase ventilation system.

Air injection system.

Evaporative emissions control.

Fuel inlet restrictor.

Thermostatic air cleaner .

you can stop laughing now.

Out here in New Mexico, we have emissions, and it's based on a scanner basically and visual inspection for cats. No dyno's or anything. Basically as long as you don't have a check engine light and you have cats, you're good.

Out here in New Mexico, we have emissions, and it's based on a scanner basically and visual inspection for cats. No dyno's or anything. Basically as long as you don't have a check engine light and you have cats, you're good.

Ha! I was stationed there from 2000-2003. That's where I cut my street racing teeth. Good times and fast cars!

Does anyone suppose VW will be forced to or offer to buy back these vehicles? At my estimation of $12.5b, it would be considerably cheaper by 2.5b to do so at this point of speculation.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/oct/09/mercedes-honda-mazda-mitsubishi-diesel-emissions-row

Looks like the rest of the automotive industry is just as guilty... VW just got caught. GM cars are currently under a microscope and suspected of the same method of "cheating" emissions.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/oct/09/mercedes-honda-mazda-mitsubishi-diesel-emissions-row

Looks like the rest of the automotive industry is just as guilty... VW just got caught. GM cars are currently under a microscope and suspected of the same method of "cheating" emissions.

I have to preface this by saying I'm speaking from some experience, but not my professional position. ;)

IMHO there is a huge difference between tuning around the test* and having a switch that goes into a different mode/tune when the test mode is detected. The first one is just tuning, the second one is a defeat device. Of course during 'real world driving' the car emits more, their definition of 'real world driving' is harder acceleration than the test mode, so of course it will emit more. It's just like complaining about not getting the EPA rated fuel economy when you drive 100mph and always accelerate at full throttle. In fact, it's the exact same thing since it's the same test. The spirit of the defeat device rule is so the car operates in the same conditions during the EPA test procedure as when the customer will use it. So an easy example is, during the coast down part of the test the car is put in neutral. You can't have a piece of logic that says 'if the car is in neutral, do this crazy thing that will reduce drag' because then the drag during real world driving, when the car is in drive, will be higher. So as long as you can go drive the car on the road using the same driving procedure as the EPA test, and get the same results, you are good. The problem with the VW debacle is that, you won't get the same results as the EPA dyno test driving the exact same way on the road. That's the defeat device.

Note: By tuning around the test, I don't mean, have a very strange specific tune for the test mode, but for example, tuning for the mode and having a similar tune elsewhere, all other things (not) being equal i.e. different RPM, load, air flow, etc.

SO have prices come down on the TDI wagons...Heard I am in the market to help out global warming!

we don't really know what the recall process will be. if people sold now they might miss out on a sweet buyback deal from VW. (which won't happen imo). so it might be a while before we see prices dropping.

I don't know anything about these cars, but it does look like they kinda fucked up in the second test.

That's what I'm assuming. That, or this is some marketing/damage control BS.

No fucking way would they pass the car for emissions if when they go to test the thing, the dash lights up like a christmas tree...

There are many ways to cheat. Only the sloppy one get caught. If you're ballsy enough to claim that your shit don't stink while the rest of the industry have to resort to exhaust juice, someone will dig until they find something.

Another way to get around is sell the car with the "clean" tune. 3k miles later, customer bring car back for service, flash a "new and improved" tune on. I know of at least two companies that doing this right now.