"Learning" Thermostats and Garage heaters

miller11386

As I am just getting into my first house projects, I am trying to prioritize what to do and what give the most satisfaction.

Currently, I am in the middle of a security system, garage organization, and perhaps insulating the garage door.....

So I have 2 Questions...

All of this control brought me to look at programmable and now "learning" thermostats. Does anyone have a Nest thermostat? or a Honeywell Wifi learning thermostat? If you could give me your reactions and if they are worth the hype, I would appreciate it.

Also taking tips for garage heaters. I have a slightly oversized 3 car garage. My house is a natural gas primary heating source, and it wouldn't be too tricky to get gas out to my garage. Any recommendations on a heater? I have seen plenty out there, but I'm not sure what I would really need. Not looking to be out there in shorts and a tee shirt in the middle of winter, but taking the chill off the wrenches would be a plus. I believe Natural gas will be the way to go for me, but if you have something different, feel free to chime in.

I have the Nest as well and am a fan but for the money the Honeywell is hard to beat and has many of the same features. There is a thread on here on the Nest vs Honeywell debate with most people leaning towards Honeywell. Also there was a thread within the past year I believe on a lot of garage heater options for what that's worth.

I have the Nest as well and am a fan but for the money the Honeywell is hard to beat and has many of the same features. There is a thread on here on the Nest vs Honeywell debate with most people leaning towards Honeywell. Also there was a thread within the past year I believe on a lot of garage heater options for what that's worth.

Thanks I didn't think they would be on here... here is the locked down thread on the Nest vs Honeywell:

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120380&highlight=nest

Not as much on the garage heater.. maybe its buried in the home improvement thread?

Don't get a Nest, get a WiFi Honeywell.

As far as a garage heater, I put a used furnace in a corner of mine with a scoop on top and filter rack on the side. Cheap and easy. I could probably even hook you up with a furnace if you wanted to go that route.

Edited by Duff

The "learning" component really just eliminates the process of configuring on/off and temperature adjustment schedules based on your lifestyle. If WiFi and touchscreen are priorities, that's one thing, but a properly configured 7-day schedule capable thermostat will produce the same results.

All that said, between nest and Honeywell, go with the Honeywell. I work for a large building controls company (which competes with Honeywell), but installed a Honeywell touchscreen for my parents. We don't currently make our own residential T-Stats, but will in the next couple months.

We have a nest and love it.

As for heating a 3 car garage. I use one of the infrared heaters from Home Depot. $99. Not sure what you want to accomplish, when we built our house they didn't insulate the exterior wall. We went to Home Depot bought the insulation and did it ourselves the day before they drywalled. All I care about is in the winter the heat of the cars and that heater on the ceiling melt all snow and dry the car. So every morning I get in a snow and ice free car. We plug in the diesel.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/21/1038788f200b2b12367e3ce6b058b6a3.jpg

Our 3 car:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/21/fd754db6ea615ea724a44d0476bf75a9.jpg

Edited by Benjamin

They are still taking their readings from wherever the thermostat is located so it's all the same. The learning portion comes into play by adjusting itself a degree or 2 lower or higher then you set in say the middle of the day or middle of the night. With the goal of saving you just a little bit more then the programed intervals.

Thanks for the comments guys. I guess I will go with the Honeywell WiFi version.

For garage heat, I am just looking to keep it tolerable in there. Not crazy warm. As far as installing a separate furnace, I don't think that will be very likely as garage space is already at a premium and I wont want to install a furnace outside for obvious reasons. I guess I could install one in the attic and have it blow down, but that seems like a PITA as well.

I would like to keep it Natural gas just because its so cheap to utilize as a heating fuel. Electric is not as cheap for me.

Currently I have insulated walls all around as well as an insulated garage door, so I should be good to go to start. I don't think it will take a whole lot of energy to heat, but like I said Natural gas would be easy to get in the garage (I have a gas dryer that is on the other side of the interior garage wall)

One of these would work well, given your insulation. Mount him up in a corner and aim toward middle of the garage.

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-000-BTU-Natural-Gas-Radiant/dp/B00006L7UZ

Run a gas line (adequately sized) to it. You will also want to ensure your existing meter will support simultaneously feeding your furnace, your dryer, and the infrared, assuming your furnace is gas.

Infrared is awesome because it heats the things in the garage, rather than conditioning the air directly. Many of the army guard facilities we do work in have drill spaces that are basically very large high bay garages, and 8 or 10 of these keep it very comfortable.

I have a 28'x40' shop that I heat with this http://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/gas-kerosene-heaters/indoor-gas-kerosene-heaters-and-accessories/vented-heaters/75-000-btu-direct-vent-garage-heater/p-2189171-c-6865.htm?tid=3392420826920724660

I manage it with the Honeywell WIFI programmable thermostat. It was all relatively easy to set up and it is pretty quite compared to most I have seen. Small unit heating is going to zap a lot of electric to run it. I have had this set up for 2 winters now and have been very pleased with it.

I have a Honeywell Wi-Fi thermostat and like it. I actually use the mobile app for adjustments more than the physical unit or web interface.

My only regret is not getting a higher-level model that would allow me to schedule the fan to circulate air.

We have a nest and love it.

As for heating a 3 car garage. I use one of the infrared heaters from Home Depot. $99. Not sure what you want to accomplish, when we built our house they didn't insulate the exterior wall. We went to Home Depot bought the insulation and did it ourselves the day before they drywalled. All I care about is in the winter the heat of the cars and that heater on the ceiling melt all snow and dry the car. So every morning I get in a snow and ice free car. We plug in the diesel.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/21/1038788f200b2b12367e3ce6b058b6a3.jpg

Our 3 car:

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/21/fd754db6ea615ea724a44d0476bf75a9.jpg

I recognized your plate from the pic. I was behind you yesterday in rush hour on 71N . Looked like the black GT wanted to play but traffic was too heavy. Car looks nice.

Don't get a Nest, get a WiFi Honeywell.

As far as a garage heater, I put a used furnace in a corner of mine with a scoop on top and filter rack on the side. Cheap and easy. I could probably even hook you up with a furnace if you wanted to go that route.

I had a Nest for a few weeks and it was junk. It never kept a consistent temperature and we returned that garbage. I placed several other thermostats around the Nest and confirmed that its sensor was all over the map

Had a nest, tossed that junk and got a Honeywell. Never looked back.

My company makes the Sensi WiFi thermostat, and I have bought 4 of them in our in-office store for friends and family and people love them. I haven't installed one myself because my house is a rental, but they seem to work really well.

Really... I think we work for the same company...

I've found I don't care for "learning" thermos or setting a schedule for them. My whims and schedules change far too often so I prefer the hands-on approach. Not that I can't see the occasional use, just not even close to worth it, imo. That being said, we do have one. lol Long story. I don't really utilize it to its fullest, however; proving myself correct. ;)