Forget Capitol Cadillac. (Long)

Draco-REX

I am completely unhappy with Capitol Cadillac's service. GM wants Cadillac to be a World-Class make, putting it up against BMW, Mercedes, and Audi. But Capitol Cadillac is not providing World-Class service to match.

I set up an appointment with them to have some small annoyances taken care of. I dropped it off 7:30am last Thursday (9/24). I got a call after work and picked it up today after 5pm (9/29).

This is what I brought it in for:

1. The front wheels click loudly when making tight turns.

2. The supercharger has a faint rattle.

3. The driver's seat shifts under braking/acceleration.

4. The backup camera is grainy.

5. The clutch pedal makes a loud click every time I shift.

6. The car feels unstable over bumps and smells like burning rubber after long trips.

1-5 can be diagnosed in less than an hour total, and 6 might take an hour on its own.

Five full working days they had the car, and what did they do? They took care of #1 which consists of taking the front wheels off, cleaning them, and then re-torquing the lug nuts.

That's it. Which would have been enough to piss me off, but it doesn't stop there. Let's go down the list:

1. CUSTOMER STATES VEHICLE IS MAKING A CLICKING NOISE FROM FRONT ON SHARP TURNS

FOUND PIC5136 ON LUG NUTS

CLEANED FRONT ROTORS FACE AND WHEEL REMOVED WHEEL LOCKS

REINSTALLED FACTORY LUG NUTS TIGHTEN TO BULLETIN SPECS

2480108-.6

This literally can be diagnosed by turning the wheel and driving forward at walking speed. When they pulled it out of a parking spot it would have been audible. It sounds almost exactly like bad C/V joints, happens every time, and is easily audible with the windows down.

There have been multiple TSBs out for this issue.

I got a call THIS MORNING from the service writer saying they couldn't replicate the sound. I was shocked and even said so. I was then told that IF there was a sound, it was likely because of the wheel locks and that it'd be $90 to get a new set. I told the service writer that the original lugs were IN the car with the lug key. She then said that it wouldn't be covered. Really? I said I'd just do it myself.

Yup, world-class service.... Note, I was never ASKED to come replicate the issues for the tech. I was the one that brought it up. Five days of finding nothing and they never asked me to show them.

I went there on my lunch break and took the tech for a ride of only about 100 yards and replicated the sound several times. He then said "Well they do that." Apparently it is acceptable that a car that retails for nearly $80K to sound like a car with blown C/V joints. At least I got him to admit he heard the noise. So he then mentioned cleaning the rotors, which is the only way to clear up the clicking anyways.

I can only imagine that my car would still be clicking if I hadn't made a tech admit he heard the noise to my face.

2. CUSTOMER STATES CAN HEAR RATTLE FROM ENGINE SOUNDS LIKE

SUPERCHARGER

NO ABNORMAL NOISE HEARD AT THIS TIME

NO REPAIR MADE

This is a known issue with the superchargers on this car. In fact it is SO common that GM extended the warranty on the supercharger to 10 years / 120,000 mi. The issue is with a poorly designed coupler that is replaced with a solid one in the new part#.

Now my supercharger isn't as bad as the videos online, but the rattle/knock is there. I wasn't really expecting much from this one, but thought I'd give it a shot. I have another 8 years and 100K miles for it to get a bit worse. What irked me about this one was the tech essentially said I was hearing nothing and that the ones they've done sound like they're falling apart.

This one is just a "whatever".

3. CUSTOMER STATES LEFT FRONT SEAT SHIFTS LIKE IT IS

LOOSE WHEN DRIVING

NO ABNORMAL NOISE HEARD

NO REPAIR MADE

This is yet another TSB item. The TSB has spacers installed in the seat mounts. The real source of the issue is the rivets holding the pivots of the moving parts in the base. They loosen over time.

My seat, you can just rock back and forth in it with the car stationary and you can clearly feel that it's not solid. Other dealerships have replaced the whole base. One person used a rivet expander to tighten the rivets.

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and guess that "NO ABNORMAL NOISE HEARD" is a generic resolution code. Otherwise, the tech didn't even bother reading the line, or somehow thinks listening to a seat makes it rock... I dunno..

Either way, no effort expended here trying to make me a happy customer.

4. CUSTOMER STATES CAMERA LOOKS VERY GRAINEY WHEN IT IS WET OUTSIDE

UNABLE TO DUPLICATE CUSTOMER CONCERN

NO REPAIR MADE

No TSB for this one, but there are threads about it on CTSVOwners.com. Fixes go from just re-seating the plug to replacing the camera. It's an intermittent problem so might be difficult to catch in the act.

My camera was kinda grainy from when I picked it up, then one day after it rained it got really bad. I had trouble making out what was what in my garage when I was backing in. It got better the next day but was still worse than before the rainy day.

At least this time the tech did more than listen to the camera. But they found no problems, and frankly, the camera is better now that it was. Perhaps they unplugged it.

Where Capitol pissed me off here is that on Friday (9/25), I was told that the camera was being replaced. Instead, when I read the Repair Order when I picked the car up, I discover otherwise.

5. CUSTOMER STATES CLUTCH PEDAL MAKES A CLICK NOISE WHEN AT TOP OF TRAVEL AND CAN FEEL IN PEDAL

NO ABNORMAL NOISE HEARD

NO REPAIR MADE

This is a common issue. The cause is the return spring coming unseated and rubbing against a bracket. It's really annoying to hear a CLICK every time I shift. Not to mention embarrassing.

When I was in the car with the tech, I reproduced the sound over and over for the tech. He said there were switches and that it was normal.

$80K car, and it's normal for the clutch pedal to click with every shift? No car I've ever owned does this.

But was really burns me here is the complete lack of effort here. It's obvious there's an issue of some sort. But instead of actually looking at the pedal (where an unseated spring would be pretty obvious), he would rather just GUESS and do nothing.

Again, this is on the 5th working day after I replicated the issue, on my own initiative.

6. CUSTOMER STATES VEHICLE SEEMS TO SHIFT OVER BUMPS LIKE

SUSPENSION IS LOOSE CAN SMELL HOT RUBBER AFTER A LONG TRIP

LIKE TIRES ARE SCRUBBING

CHECKED STEERING AND SUSPENSION RECOMMEND REPLACE REAR TIRES

AND ALIGNMENT

CUSTOMER DECLINED TIRES AND ALIGNMENT

Hitting bumps where a tire leaves the pavement briefly, the car will twitch. It feels just like other cars I've owned when the alignment was out. Also, after driving home from WI, the car smelled like I had been doing burnouts. So something is up.

I'm glad they checked the suspension. Although, after the above, I question just how thorough the tech was. But how do you not put the car on an alignment rack?? Every bit of the complaint screams the alignment is out, yet he didn't bother to check the alignment. I wasn't going to pay for an alignment if they couldn't at least tell me what was off.

Blaming the tires is lazy too. The rears are low, but they are still above the wear bars. And these aren't some cheap chinese tires that will squirm when they get low. These are Michelin Pilot Sports. If anything they should work better in the dry when the tread is at about 4/32nds.

So Capitol Cadillac is not a dealership I will ever go to again, or ever recommend. Throughout this entire thing they have exerted the least amount of effort possible to take care of my issues, and it wasn't until I directly showed a tech the issues that anything was done. Even then, my complaints were ignored or trivialized. All around, utter laziness.

Sorry, had to vent...

Call GM customer care, tell them how unsatisfied you are and can you have this warranty work performed at a Chevy dealership because you know a quality tech there that has done good work for you on other cars. I would have no issue fixing any of that under warranty. Why any tech wouldn't replace any of those parts is retarded, GM doesn't pay us to look and not do anything.

Can you take a cadi to a chevy dealership? Maybe reach out to cordel, and see if there is anyway his dealership (Lash chevy) will take your car in and have scott take a look.

Might be worth a shot to get some one that one jack you around. Worth a shot

I'm sure. I just figured that a Cadillac dealership would be a cut above. Silly me.

Call GM customer care, tell them how unsatisfied you are and can you have this warranty work performed at a Chevy dealership because you know a quality tech there that has done good work for you on other cars. I would have no issue fixing any of that under warranty. Why any tech wouldn't replace any of those parts is retarded, GM doesn't pay us to look and not do anything.

I know. I work for a dealership, so I know how warranty work goes. Granted they tend to trim the hours they pay, but parts are usually pretty profitable. At least in Hyundai's world. Saying "no problem found" results in $0 for everyone. Makes no sense other than Capitol Cadillac saying "We don't want you as a customer."

Thanks. I'll give GM a call and see what comes of it.

But you got a great deal on it right? I seriously joke because this is why I love when people buy a car because x dealer has it for this price with these miles but they don't see all the little things that add up that some dealers address before a sale and other don't give two pennies about fixing.

To me most of this should have been fixed pre sale but the dealer who sold it for what they wanted from the car and probably doesn't care if you ever return.

As far as service work you keep saying 80k car but truth is it doesn't matter the cost, the problem comes from the dealership not wanting to perform service that gm has addressed and provided revisions for these issues.

Def agree with Scott it's crazy like they tried harder to get out of doing work than doing it all under warranty

Capitol Cadillac....not familiar with that one. What about Crestview Cadillac? Or whatever it's called now (Germain maybe?). I would listen to Cordell, that sounds like the way to go.

As far as the click sound when you shift, are you referring to a click when the clutch pedal is pushed down? I test drove a Cobalt SS years ago that did that. Faulty return spring, ok, interesting. I didn't even think anything of it at the time, I just figured that's how SS Cobalts were supposed to be.

Capitol Cadillac....not familiar with that one. What about Crestview Cadillac? Or whatever it's called now (Germain maybe?). I would listen to Cordell, that sounds like the way to go.

As far as the click sound when you shift, are you referring to a click when the clutch pedal is pushed down? I test drove a Cobalt SS years ago that did that. Faulty return spring, ok, interesting. I didn't even think anything of it at the time, I just figured that's how they were supposed to be.

The click occurs at the very top of the pedal travel when I take my foot off the pedal. It's well above any switch engagement.

The click occurs at the very top of the pedal travel when I take my foot off the pedal. It's well above any switch engagement.

Hmm. I think it was the opposite with that Cobalt, but it was nearly 10 years ago so I really don't remember, I never even thought about it until reading this thread.

It sounds annoying though. How many miles are on the car? Was it doing that when you bought it? Regardless, the lazy ass dealer had to have noticed it when you took it in. No noise heard, no repair made? Really :jerkit:

Hmm. I think it was the opposite with that Cobalt, but it was nearly 10 years ago so I really don't remember, I never even thought about it until reading this thread.

It sounds annoying though. How many miles are on the car? Was it doing that when you bought it? Regardless, the lazy ass dealer had to have noticed it when you took it in. No noise heard, no repair made? Really :jerkit:

15k miles.

The problems are mostly annoyances. It's the clicks that bother me the most. At first I didn't care all the much about getting these fixed; I figured I had a warranty so why not? But after all this...

Can you take a cadi to a chevy dealership? Maybe reach out to cordel, and see if there is anyway his dealership (Lash chevy) will take your car in and have scott take a look. Might be worth a shot to get some one that one jack you around. Worth a shot

Germain has been great with my V

^^ These. The irony is I won't EVER go back to the Hyundai dealership in that area. Today was the very last time EVER. I'll fill you in on the details over coffee sometime. In the end it's sad that we are both in simliar situtions.

I have and will continue to just simply pay for things out of my own pocket. Thankfully the couple issues I've had to fix were inexpensive. My van is at Germain Ford right now to have them address a TSB that that Hyundai dealer was giving me a hard time about.

We are pleased with the product but the service has sucked since day 1. If I have problems with the Audi, that fucker is going to catch fire due to a loose fuel line.

^^ These. The irony is I won't EVER go back to the Hyundai dealership in that area. Today was the very last time EVER. I'll fill you in on the details over coffee sometime. In the end it's sad that we are both in simliar situtions.

I have and will continue to just simply pay for things out of my own pocket. Thankfully the couple issues I've had to fix were inexpensive. My van is at Germain Ford right now to have them address a TSB that that Hyundai dealer was giving me a hard time about.

We are pleased with the product but the service has sucked since day 1. If I have problems with the Audi, that fucker is going to catch fire due to a loose fuel line.

Sorry to hear that. I'm often amazed at what we cover under warranty. Out of curiosity, which TSB? And Entourage I assume?

Sorry to hear that. I'm often amazed at what we cover under warranty. Out of curiosity, which TSB? And Entourage I assume?

I don't have the exact TSB. The Ford dealer found the problem and details and printed it out for me. Something to do with the ignition switch shorting out and not communicating properly with the security system thus why the car wouldn't start occasionally. I banged on the key / dash and it would fire up. Very strange.

Anyway, the service writer said there's no way Hyundai would cover it, even though the problem is all over google, etc. and a very well known problem. New to me but I did my share of reading.

Long story short, I'd pay Ford to fix it before Dennis Hyundai. They lied to me back in the day about the brakes being so bad they wouldn't drive it. I came home from travels, pulled the wheel and there were 50% left in the fronts. flat out lied.

Power Steering, they were $300 higher than anyone else getting it replaced. Yadda yadda.

the tires chirp on tight turns, especially backing up. if this is what you're describing as problem#1 then it is completely normal. cadillacforums is your friend. i never had any of those issues with my car. the rear ends on these cars whine ever so slightly. don't bother getting the rear end replaced as it will whine again---minimal whine, only noticeable at 40-50 mph when your foot is off the gas

the tires chirp on tight turns, especially backing up. if this is what you're describing as problem#1 then it is completely normal. cadillacforums is your friend. i never had any of those issues with my car. the rear ends on these cars whine ever so slightly. don't bother getting the rear end replaced as it will whine again---minimal whine, only noticeable at 40-50 mph when your foot is off the gas

Nope. Clickclickclickclickclick. Sounds like blown C/V joints. It's common with the V2. GM has tried multiple fixes, the only thing that works is cleaning the mounting surfaces of the rotor and wheel. But that only works for a year or so.

1) Is this stuff your assuming would be covered under a factoy warrenty?

2) What is the factory warrently entale?

3) Its GM, what did you expect? Not being a dick, but when I got by V, I know what it was, a shiney mallet. Nothing more. You got the new and improved shiny sledge hammer. If you wanted a swiss watch, you should have bought something from Switzerland.

4)*edit* you called it!

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1850175&postcount=70

Yeah I quit taking my V into Capitol. And I live in Dublin. Its worth it to drive all the fuck way across town to Easton instead.

Exact same as OP - its like they don't even try to diagnose much less fix. Tried to make a service appointment, they wouldnt answer phone. front desk answered took msg, no call back.

Took in V over winter/spring and asked them to look at suspension, balljoints, etc. Nope. done with them

Edited by Mowgli