Kawi can take their bolts and...

bdruggan10r

I am tired of getting into a project and getting a damn bolt that wont budge. It eventually rounds out you can't move on any further.

Is this a Kawi thing or do all the brands do this?

I was preping my bike for the new exhaust which is due to arrive tomorow. I was tearing the bike down and got to the last part to get the exhuast off when low and behold, stuck bolt.

Craftsman makes an amazing stripped bolt removing tool. It's similar to how a normal socket works, but it's cut differently so that when you turn it, it cuts into the head of the bolt and grabs it. I work on cars a lot and stripped bolts is a very common occurrence. You can buy different kits that will cover various sizes of bolts, it comes with a chart so that you know which one to use for which bolt size. I think I spent about $20.00 on mine and it covers 3/8 to 3/4. It is well worth the money and have saved me time and money countless times.

Craftsman makes an amazing stripped bolt removing tool. It's similar to how a normal socket works, but it's cut differently so that when you turn it, it cuts into the head of the bolt and grabs it. I work on cars a lot and stripped bolts is a very common occurrence. You can buy different kits that will cover various sizes of bolts, it comes with a chart so that you know which one to use for which bolt size. I think I spent about $20.00 on mine and it covers 3/8 to 3/4. It is well worth the money and have saved me time and money countless times.

nice! do they have metric also??

Well this bolt is not stripped yet. The factory uses lock-tite. I've tried over tightening to break it loose, pb's break free. I'll get it, just don't want to strip it. I actually used that "Grab-it" tool that is on t.v. on another bolt that stripped. Got it at Wallgreens for 19.99. Worked better than Craftsman's set which I bought.

nice! do they have metric also??

It covers metric and standard. For example, the #3 die can be used for 11mm and 7/16. The kit I have covers most of the common sizes, but you can buy bigger kits that cover more, or smaller more specific ones. I bought mine last year sometime, so I would assume they still have them out on the shelves and there shouldn't be a problem finding them

Well this bolt is not stripped yet. The factory uses lock-tite. I've tried over tightening to break it loose, pb's break free. I'll get it, just don't want to strip it. I actually used that "Grab-it" tool that is on t.v. on another bolt that stripped. Got it at Wallgreens for 19.99. Worked better than Craftsman's set which I bought.

I'll have to check that out. What's it called?

Lock-tite is pretty much just a bitch to work with. I don't think there's any advice out there for that. The one thing I can suggest is using a 12 point socket to reduce the risk of stripping it. Other than that, I've got nothing except for.. good luck, and screw the Kawi haters :D

The one thing I can suggest is using a 12 point socket to reduce the risk of stripping it.

A 12 point is more likely to strip because it covers less surface area of the head of the bolt. A 6 point is less likely to strip. Thats why impact sockets are 6 point.

If all else fails you could try to use a small sledge and tap on the size smaller socket. One other thing I might suggest, and has worked for me in the past with rotor bolts and stuff, is to put some kind of a grit compound in the socket. Specifically I had a jar of valve grinding compound that I used a while back and got more use out of it this way then I ever did when I rebuild my head. lol

Good luck!

The best tool I have against rounding off bolt heads, happens to be expensive. Mac tools has what they call Mac Edge technology. I have a couple sets of them (I work on cars for a living, so I need good sockets anyway.) They have "grooves" in 3 of the sides of the socket, and that little bit will (according to them) take out a bolt that is up to 70% rounded of. They do work well! I also have a set of ratcheting wrenches that have this, and they're awesome, too!

Snap-on claims that their sockets grab the sides of the bolt head instead of just at the points, making it less likely to round off bolt heads.

Just $0.02 from a professional.