Wiper blades

Gergwheel1647545492

How often do you guys change your wiper blades. I have 3 cars that all need them right now and I'm not sure if i should do it before winter hits and have the harshness of winter destroy my brand new blades. Or perhaps I should wait it out and replace them in the spring time. What say ye?

Seems like when I change mine depends on winter/mother nature. To your point, winter is tough on them it seems. I tend to get them right before winter and then in early spring or so. I just put new ones on both vehicles in fact.

This time I completely stripped them with BarKeepers Friend and some alcohol and then applied Rain X on the Van and Aquapel on my car. Want to see how the two opposite formulations hold up vs each other. Rain X tends to fade faster from my past experience with both and tends to streak more quickly too. Time and weather will tell.

I second those observations, Tim. Rain-x seems to make the water disperse at around 35mph for me, creating little to no need to use the wipers. Aquapel needed about 45mph for the same effect. I determined I'd rather apply rain-x more frequently. I tested the aquapel on my 13 Mustang GT that I purchased new, so it's windshield had never previously been treated with rain-x.

The frameless ones seem to last longer for me but work on different cars better. Could always throw some cheap ones on for winter time. Swap em like tires.

This is a great idea, what month would you recommend swapping the blades for the winter ones?

This is a great idea, what month would you recommend swapping the blades for the winter ones?

I would say as soon as Temps fall below 40 consistently. Make sure to store good wipers in climate controlled area to prevent deterioration.

If you take a paper towel and wipe the blade when you wipe your windshield at the gas station, it gets all kinds of grime off of the blade, and they wipe better for a while. If they are wiping poorly in the wintertime, you can temporarily get them to wipe better by pulling them off and setting them over your defroster (inside the car), warming them and making the rubber pliable. This can get you to a store where you can buy new ones, worst case.

How often do you guys change your wiper blades. I have 3 cars that all need them right now and I'm not sure if i should do it before winter hits and have the harshness of winter destroy my brand new blades. Or perhaps I should wait it out and replace them in the spring time. What say ye?

I may not be a good example for this since I either don't use them or use them very sparingly; wiper blades on my cars are replaced due to dry rot instead of wear. However, like tires, if you depended on them during a drive in rain-snow-sleet, I'd replace them before the weather got I to that pattern. Changing blades Iin the bitter cold when things are frozen really sucks.

I have my own favorite brand and model, but whatever brand and model you choose, look into using oversized ones. In order to determine which over sizes you need, look at the wipe pattern and measure the distance between the top curve and the windshield edge. You want to leave a small area for clearance.

For example, the OEM size is 20" and after measurement there is a 2.5" clearance between the top curve and the windshield edge. You can go 2" oversize on top and usually the bottom curve have plenty of clearance so you don't have to worry about it. In order to cover the 2" on top, you get a 24" blade. This will give you a wider wiped area. Make sure that oversized blade doesn't interfere the other during operation (watch their movements). If you need help, let me know; it's easier to show it in person.

I get the cheapest thing i can find and throw on a new set when the old ones start shreading.

shreading

But non potato ADMIN paul jibberish aside, I only change mine when they appear to not work up to par anymore.

shreading

But non potato ADMIN paul jibberish aside, I only change mine when they appear to not work up to par anymore.

Yes the forum isant booming like it was back in the street racing crazy days, i would say that was the peak of the forum. People grew up, took my years to understand why when people grew up they didnt do the reckless stuff they were doing before.

Most forums dont last nearly as long as Cr has. Yes the contect isant fully the same. It is though still an outlet for many people to chat and get information automotive and non automotive.

I have met some of my best frineds through cr, and many life long friends.

Me personally i havent been out to much physical meets, mainly i had a kid and bought a house that i work on every weekend. Time is limited to alot of people. I hope to get out and about to more meets this next year, as time will start freeing up for me.

Be patient with us through some changes here.

Throw winter blades on now and be done with it ;)

Honestly, though... I typically put winters on my wife's RAV4 around Halloween, and unless she goes wiping ice with them, they usually last just about a year, so it's kind of a no-brainer. I've tried all manner of aftermarket blades for my Civic, and always end up going back to the OEM "refills" because of how the windshield is shaped compared to blade pressure.