Cordcutters Resources

mrs.cos

So there has been a lot of talk lately about cutting the cable cord, and i can happily say we have made it one year without cable and don't feel much remorse.

Here is what we have done and what we use.

i'd love to have others chime in with good info since there seem to be a fair amount of us.

For the most part we try to do things as legal as possible. Right now, Big10 and using a VPN to get Hockey is about the worst we do. (i think)

We have only 1 TV in the house, so for multi TV users, you may do things differently.

So - We cut our WoW cable/internet package from $147(price hike up from$120, down to cable only, $37. We also ditched our rental modem and bought one so the bill will be dgoing down as soon as i return the old modem, but that hasnt happend yet

Monthly Costs

• WoW $37
  • Netflix- $12
  • Sling $20
  • Amazon Prime $10
  • NHL Game Center $9 (used discover card for discount)
  • Tivo Lifetime Subscription from about 10 years ago-$3.00 (this amount diminishes for over time for us)
  • Xbox Live (gold) Free- Nathans parents buy it for him for christmas every year
    ---------
    Total of $91 a month now and we have almost everything we want, and quite honestly we dont miss what we thought we would miss.

I tried Hulu. I have tried it on 3 different interfaces and think its terrible in every way.

I miss CW, and while i should be able to get it OTA, our antenna setup needs some work, and its not there.

For Big10Netowork thanks to Yenner we use First Row with and uBlock

If your girl needs her Project Runway fix- Lifetime is free to watch if you have an internet provider that's on their list (WoW, Time Warner both on there, but i haven't checked for satellite.)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I killed cable this year too. Only high speed internet. The only thing we miss is my daughter is having my little pony withdrawal syndrome. Def don't miss commercials. We rent a lot of movies from the library, listen to radio, and read more. For games we go out to watch (spent most of my morning at the Audi dealer watching the UT v Oklahoma wile they serviced the wife's car).

Cutting cable is only difficult if you want to continue watching TV shows. I am making way more progress on my bike projects now without it.

Good for you trish for giving the cable the boot. I should have done it years ago.

Honestly, Netflix has an AMAZING amount of kids shows. If you arent using netflix, i would greatly encourage it.

having a TIVO/DVR certainly makes it a little easier, and i know there is osftware out tehre, but since we dont use it, i dont know much about it.

So there has been a lot of talk lately about cutting the cable cord, and i can happily say we have made it one year without cable and don't feel much remorse.

Here is what we have done and what we use.

i'd love to have others chime in with good info since there seem to be a fair amount of us.

For the most part we try to do things as legal as possible. Right now, Big10 and using a VPN to get Hockey is about the worst we do. (i think)

We have only 1 TV in the house, so for multi TV users, you may do things differently.

So - We cut our WoW cable/internet package from $147(price hike up from$120, down to cable only, $37. We also ditched our rental modem and bought one so the bill will be dgoing down as soon as i return the old modem, but that hasnt happend yet

Monthly Costs

• WoW $37
  • Netflix- $12
  • Sling $20
  • Amazon Prime $10
  • NHL Game Center $9 (used discover card for discount)
  • Tivo Lifetime Subscription from about 10 years ago-$3.00 (this amount diminishes for over time for us)
  • Xbox Live (gold) Free- Nathans parents buy it for him for christmas every year
    ---------
    Total of $91 a month now and we have almost everything we want, and quite honestly we dont miss what we thought we would miss.

I tried Hulu. I have tried it on 3 different interfaces and think its terrible in every way.

I miss CW, and while i should be able to get it OTA, our antenna setup needs some work, and its not there.

For Big10Netowork thanks to Yenner we use First Row with and uBlock

If your girl needs her Project Runway fix- Lifetime is free to watch if you have an internet provider that's on their list (WoW, Time Warner both on there, but i haven't checked for satellite.)

Our Cable Bill is $139. You are doing an AWFUL LOT to save $48, and STILL getting less...

Our $139 includes a HD DVR with 20Mbps Up / 2Mbps Down Internet, with Modem Rental. We do not have any of the premium channels (HBO, Showtime, etc).

KillJoy

Our Cable Bill is $139. You are doing an AWFUL LOT to save $48, and STILL getting less...

Our $139 includes a HD DVR with 20Mbps Up / 2Mbps Down Internet, with Modem Rental. We do not have any of the premium channels (HBO, Showtime, etc).

KillJoy

Im ok with that. $600 a year seems worth it to me, and really im not doing all that much. Its no different than switching channels, once i turn my modem in, it will be around $56 a month, i think.

$600 a year to me is a couple extra nights of vacation at the beach, two car payments more i can get to no payments a year, an extra house payment closer to debt free, couple of really great date nights at really yummy restaurants.

The only thing less Im not getting is history channel, discovery channel, and food network; most of those shows will be on one of the services i use anyways.

Another thing to point out, no matter what, Amazon Prime Netflix and XBGL we were already paying for too, so those arent even new services to us. Gamecenter and Sling are the only new ones to us.

Edited by damreds

Thank you for the info, I'm getting ready to cut the cord even with my wife's objections.

Life should not revolve around a TV, heck there is only 1 show that I stop everything that I'm doing to watch so I see no value in it really.

That show wouldn't be KUWTK...lmao

I'm guessing GOT??

We use Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and my parents' TWC login for Espn, BTN, FX, History, NatGeo. I also just ripped my first DVD to my PLEX server, that will mostly be used for Kids and Disney movies

I also just ripped my first DVD to my PLEX server, that will mostly be used for Kids and Disney movies

It also gives me an excuse to hide in my home office and watch football while I rip them :)

I recently moved into an apartment that offers "free" wifi and cable (im sure its built into my rent but you get the idea). So far I haven't even hooked up my free cable, just been using netflix when i actually have time to watch anything. The only thing I will miss are NHL games but I watch all the recaps on NHL app for Apple TV so that helps.

Talked to a friend who ditched cable a year ago, his only complaint was OSU games on BIG10. My argument is out of the 13 regular season games how many are exclusively on BIG10? 5-6? Those handful of games can be seen at any bar or friends house so to me thats not that big of a deal.

I recently moved into an apartment that offers "free" wifi and cable (im sure its built into my rent but you get the idea). So far I haven't even hooked up my free cable, just been using netflix when i actually have time to watch anything. The only thing I will miss are NHL games but I watch all the recaps on NHL app for Apple TV so that helps.

Talked to a friend who ditched cable a year ago, his only complaint was OSU games on BIG10. My argument is out of the 13 regular season games how many are exclusively on BIG10? 5-6? Those handful of games can be seen at any bar or friends house so to me thats not that big of a deal.

We cut at the beginning of this year. Just moved I to a new place and I continued to sign up for only internet. Wow 30mb for $30/month. I'm an amazon subscriber so I have fire tv and watch that and have HD Antennas. Yes, we "gave up" being able to watch some shows we liked, but it didn't kill me. The only thing I've missed is F1 and when I've been able to watching this year it's been pretty boring.

I'm likely going to buy a the first season if Mr. robot this winter to watch, but spending money on that is pretty easy to justify when I've saved $90+ a month this whole year.

We have thought about it but have not yet. I don't know that I could do it with the kids.

We pay $50 for internet w/ WOW and $50 for direct tv. We have Amazon Prime but don't use it and we DL any movies we want to see. I'd have a tough time doing anything else unless it was going to save us $40-50 a month.

We have thought about it but have not yet. I don't know that I could do it with the kids.

We pay $50 for internet w/ WOW and $50 for direct tv. We have Amazon Prime but don't use it and we DL any movies we want to see. I'd have a tough time doing anything else unless it was going to save us $40-50 a month.

Get them used to life without cable sooner!

Netflix Kids is seriously pretty damn good.