Pole Barn / Garage - Structural Questions

spankis

I've been looking at homes lately, and I'll actually be seeing one this evening for a second time.

The house in question has a nice size detached garage, around 30' x 60', and is wood construction with concrete floor. From what I saw last, the ~ 30' trusses were spaced 4' on center, but with purlins laid flat spaced maybe 2' apart. There appears to be OSB over the purlins, and the roof is asphalt shingles.

I've not been able to find a definitive answer on this, but I thought a shingle roof generally called for 2' on center trusses, especially considering snow load slightly north like we are. I've seen where 4' on center is fine for a lighter metal roof, so just trying to see if I have a problem here. Am I making something out of nothing, especially considering it was built in 93 and has stood just fine since then?

Thanks

As for the studs, if they are 9' 2x4 is fine. If they are over 9' they should be 2x6, but back in 93 that may not have been the norm. If it is all exposed inside, you could make sure the sill plates are affixed to the concrete or foundation properly with a pressure treated sill plate. If you are in any jurisdiction that isnt way out in BFE, the code compliance departments are pretty good....they tend to ensure things are built to code. If it shows up on the auditor site then they would have pulled necessary permits ect.

I believe it was all 2x4, though I'm now starting to doubt myself, but the walls are definitely all 12'. When I brought it up the trusses the response I got was that "the purlins make up for it", so that all follows what you guys are suggesting.

After looking things over the garage may perhaps be the only selling feature of the property lol, so that's obviously not ideal.

Also, for anybody else in the market. Looking at house with the realtor who also represents the seller is effectively a waste of time. I didn't expect it would be quite as bad as it was, but the there were effectively no opinions or assistance offered, they just mostly let us in the house and walked us around...

Ya, that's normally a big red flag. Also concidering he is legally bond to representing their interests over yours.

Are you looking in pickerington or middle of no where?

This house was in Carroll, east of Pickerington. Almost middle of nowhere I suppose.

This house was in Carroll, east of Pickerington. Almost middle of nowhere I suppose.

Fairfield County in general had some shitty building code enforcement in the early 90's

2x4s with proper ties to the foundation, "hurricane clips" that tie the wall to the trusses, wood sheathing (thicker the better) that is nailed appropriately to the sill plate and goes up properly to the top plates (at least 2) will be better than 2x6 or larger walls that are barely tacked together. It isnt about holding snow load and whatnot...it is about lateral forces like wind that create uplift ect...especially in that area...they seem to get those freak wind storms (I forget what they are called - not a tornado) every now and then that like to level garages.

You could add sheathing inside at the corners for additional bracing. Even a diagonal 2X could help ease your concerns.