Is it just me? $$$$

zeitgeist57

I took my BMW in for service, they gave me a brand new 5-series as a loaner. It was an x-drive, but, beyond that, I think it was a pretty basic model. Definitely nothing spectacular. In fact, the car was kind of lame. Just kind of doofy looking as far as a BMW goes. The sticker for the car was still in the backseat: $56K+. I was dumbfounded - how could something so underwhelming cost so much? Then I started thinking about what $56K could have bought in terms of a car just 10 years ago, and I convinced myself that car prices have skyrocketed in the past decade. Not sure if there are any facts to back that up, but, regardless, it sure seems like you don't much for your money anymore when it comes to new cars.

While technology gets old quickly, I think newer cars last a lot longer and it's harder to appreciate that quality on the up-front sticker shock. Think about what 1995 cars looked like in 2005. Now think about what 2005 cars look like today. I think it's pretty clear that 10-year-old cars are MUCH higher quality today than they were 10 years ago (if that comparison makes any sense).

I think in 2025 we'll be looking at 2015 MY cars that, while they may not have up-to-date tech, will be in nearly perfect driving condition if they're reasonably well maintained.

I was just watching a documentary on YouTube about Robinson helicopters. I found it interesting that their model R-22 and 44's engine is from the nineteen fifties. Still carborated and all. The range is around 200 miles depending on altitude, wind, weight, etc. They mentioned due to regulation and cost to get a newer engine flight certified is cost prohibitive.

To me that's really sad and part of what is wrong with the US.

I was just watching a documentary on YouTube about Robinson helicopters. I found it interesting that their model R-22 and 44's engine is from the nineteen fifties. Still carborated and all. The range is around 200 miles depending on altitude, wind, weight, etc. They mentioned due to regulation and cost to get a newer engine flight certified is cost prohibitive.

To me that's really sad and part of what is wrong with the US.

Don't get me started with GA (General Aviation) aircraft...

1975 Mooney M20 that's pretty much the same as a 2005 Mooney. You want a glass instrument panel? Just get Foreflight on an iPad and you're ready to go!

The issue with car pricing is a million fold. As for cars over the past few decades everything has been a mess. When I think of the cars of 2005 they are mostly all junk, just like the 95's except the market believes they still hold real value.

I think about my 99 ram 2500, it had an original sale price of 16k. In 2009 a base 2500 would run you what, 30k? I agree many things have changed and they are safer and have more comforts but double as many?

I don't remember the 00's as filled with reliable, refined autos. Yet the values of many of them are through the roof. I believe in the rule of 7 years, after that those vehicles are fully deprecated and should be worth minimal. Especially given the maintenance demands of the cars of the past 15 years is 4x that of the cars of earlier times.

Personally I believe their is still some righting that will take place in the auto market. With the used pricing the way it is and the amount of them in the market and rates so cheap everyone just buys new something has to give.