LOL

Major_golf

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is this. They are always lacking at least one of the three main things it takes to run a business.

1)customer service

2)financial skills

3)management/project management/leadership skills

1,3 are the biggest issues, and usually 2 takes care of itself because 3 will dictate 1, which will lead to no $$

Just my .02

They had #1 and #3 in spirts but could not retain the people that were successful in those positions for whatever reasons that I cannot speak to.

Stas from my understanding owns Makarov division and Fabberge, he (at this point at least) likely doesn't give two fucks about IPS and just riding it out until the wheels fall off.

Sounds like they've got a few threads left on the last lug on all four corners to me.

You should asked Brady how that mustang build just went and why the customer had to pickup their unfinished car after a year with a $20,000+ bill.

I know something similar happened with one of the MR2s when a certain retard took some cars and left a few years back.

Stas from my understanding owns Makarov division and Fabberge, he (at this point at least) likely doesn't give two fucks about IPS and just riding it out until the wheels fall off.

Sounds like they've got a few threads left on the last lug on all four corners to me.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltg3amuRls1qct3ne.gif

how hard is it to run a car performance shop? no bullshit, im genuinely curious.

Well, I would guess that if it were profitable, then the Jegs service department and machine shop would still be in business and doing well.

Here are the issues with keeping a performance shop in business, and not in order

1) Most vehicles aren't designed to handle more power than stock, adding more power, or changing the stock design challenges many other parts in the vehicle..

2) most if not all performance parts aren't held to the same manufacturing tolerances and needs of factory parts, that means, they don't fit well, work well, or last long. All of this is bad for a shop, lots of finger pointing.

3) When you add performance parts to your car, there are no guarantees that shit won't break, and due to the fact that you are going to beat the shit out of a car that has parts that weren't designed for that abuse, you can pretty much guarantee that shit is going to break. Again lots of finger pointing and future repairs.

There are many other factors that contribute to how shitty a performance business is. But in a nutshell, working on stock cars with stock parts in general is a pain in the ass. Installing aftermarket parts that require more time, patience and less reliability is a big problem.

Realistically, most of us want to make our car as fast as a Veyron, but have a much smaller budget, this is not conducive for a shop to make money installing the parts, and attempting to make them all work correctly on a budget.

I'm not saying that you can't make money with a performance shop, but you will have a steep hill to climb IMO.

Saw this coming. I am shocked it lasted this long after their last expansion.

I have said for YEARS that Backstreet Performance performance builds a better car, and offered a better tune than IPS. Since Mark's car is no more, the fast car on CR Ray, has been going to backstreet for years. Its about an hour for most of you guys and would make a great fill-in for you needs.

http://www.backstreetper.com/

how hard is it to run a car performance shop? no bullshit, im genuinely curious.

It's not that hard if you have a good crew. Good crew is a very general term. Most good mechanics that know their ways around many automotive brands tends to think that they can run their own shop. Once they own their own shop, the nitty gritty of the business will no longer let him work on the cars. He then have to hire his own crew to work on the customer cars. The work quality will drop off and shit will start falling apart. If he smart he will hire someone to run the front office for him while he work on the cars, but that'll run into the $$$ problem.

If I was to run a performance shop I would stay with one brand of car that I know and know well, do good work, charge out of the wazoo to weed out the riff raft, and keep my customers and employees happy.

From my "limited" experience the performance side of the business seems very seasonal. Business seems to drop off during winter, at least around here. The ones that stay afloat have other means to make money to keep the lights on, like doing general repair work or manufacture their own parts/have a web business to fill in the gaps. Of course if you alienate your customer base or are bad with money this model won't work either. In that case you're generally fucked.

Saw this coming. I am shocked it lasted this long after their last expansion.

I have said for YEARS that Backstreet Performance performance builds a better car, and offered a better tune than IPS. Since Mark's car is no more, the fast car on CR Ray, has been going to backstreet for years. Its about an hour for most of you guys and would make a great fill-in for you needs.

http://www.backstreetper.com/

Backstreet has been around just as long as IPS too. My coworker was going there in 02/03!

Backstreet has been around just as long as IPS too. My coworker was going there in 02/03!

Longer I believe. Their website needs a refresh, but I think they opened their doors in 98/99. Than kind on longevity in this business with basically zero advertising means somthing for sure.