car paint, clear coat peeling

smokin5s

Anyone have any experience with it? What's my best course of action? wet sand it and then rattle can it? Both sides of the car need done. Anyone know a good shop that will wet sand and spray a new clear coat on the car for a reasonable price? Any idea how much that would cost?

Many factors here, basic thing I can tell you is it is not just a wetland and reclear. It will need repainted. Can you scrape off and sand it and rattle can it? Yes you sure can if that's the look you want for it.

Price depends on how many panels will need addressed. This happens a lot to Buick white paint and Mitsubishi black. The correct way to fix it is to repair the entire panel(s) as needed

If you don't care macco cheapest however I would go to Kevin at cliffford first and foremost

Do you have contact information for anyone of these people?

My wing has three areas where the clear coat is coming off and I would like to get it fixed ASAP. What would something like that set me back? assuming the paint is in good condition, could you just do a clear coat layer? or would you ALWAYS have to repaint and coat?

I did the wet sand and rattle can clear on the cavalier I have in Florida. Obviously I didn't do the best prep job, and as it was outdoors there was a little bit of wind. That all being said, I couldn't imagine a shittier looking outcome.

Good luck, use the garage, and if you can get a professional product that goes on with an HVLP gun

Do you have contact information for anyone of these people?

My wing has three areas where the clear coat is coming off and I would like to get it fixed ASAP. What would something like that set me back? assuming the paint is in good condition, could you just do a clear coat layer? or would you ALWAYS have to repaint and coat?

Kevin is a sponsor on here who runs Clifford automotive...

Problem is without any clear the paint is not being protected underneath and to fix the issue yes you need to sand it all down and redo it. There is is no way to just say remove the clear say through wet sanding and have it look correct because the layers of paint and clear that have already been destroyed

Not to mention, most paint has a window of time when the base is applied for the clear to be applied because it chemically bonds with the base layer. If you miss the window, youre told to scuff and respray the base, so with that said....Your window was long gone before that car ever his the showroom when new.

• 2 weeks later...

Close Kyle. 48 hrs to clear. Scuff base, no recoat nessesary.

As mentioned you cant just wetsand itoutand recleae. Youll be kaying new base down. Now even though I just said you cant do it, I have sucesfully feathered and recleared peeling clear.

Hit my cell 6148064497 if you need me to take a peak.

all manufacturers have different "sit time" for base. I shoot Spies and its awesome. Then again we don't base a car and leave for two days.

Like Kevin said, feathering peeling clear can be done but you need to be careful. I run multiple MSO shops and I recommend Kevin Clifford.He has been a staple of quality work for CR members for over a decade.

all manufacturers have different "sit time" for base. I shoot Spies and its awesome. Then again we don't base a car and leave for two days.

Like Kevin said, feathering peeling clear can be done but you need to be careful. I run multiple MSO shops and I recommend Kevin Clifford.He has been a staple of quality work for CR members for over a decade.

This was my point, and Im with you guys, you could feather it and clear it but the color could be off in the spots where it peeled from fade and it may not hold a long time, but if youre looking for something on the cheap, this might be the best bet.

A p-sheet might say 24 but you can go 48. No recoat nessesary on solids. Metallic I'd recommend recoat for sure.

Like Clark said I wouldnt normally have a reason to walk away for 24-48 so it doesnt matter. But there have been times i base and take a 3 hr lunch, come back and pick up where i left off.

Edit: i spray ppg dbc and have used the 24 hr scuff no recoat method. No issues. Ive been spraying cars for 15 years.

Edited by Clifford Automotive
Damn phone