Virginia

2 Sweet

Kentucky is no better, said we were doing 82 in a 65 area. No way we were doing 82 . I mentioned we were only going 70 -75 with the traffic. I clocked you doing 82 he said. I asked if we could see the radar,nope we do not have to show that to you. I pushed it a little further and then he got pissed and said I better keep my cool or your heading to jail ? WTF !

West Virginia is sketchy too. I was in neutral coasting down a good grade in the early 2000s. I was coasting at 90-92 on 77 south around a slow bend. Cop was on the side of the road and appeared from around the bend, more than a quarter mile ahead. I applied brakes, he had lights on and rolling before I got to him. He pulls me over says he clocked me at 70 in a 65, says anything over +2 MPH over is a mandatory reckless OP. WTF? He then tells me he is gonna write me for 67 MPH (+2 MPH over to avoid the reckless OP) and hands me my ticket and says to call this number Monday to pay your fine since you are out of state. If I fight the ticket they will move forward with the Reckless OP. SMH

So I call Monday morning and get an automated menu, the menu tells me to hit 1 to contact a magistrate to find out my fine. I press one which a man answers and asks for my info and then pauses and says ok 2 MPH over, no reckless OP, $250!

I paid it moved on, and learned a lesson.

West Virginia is sketchy too. I was in neutral coasting down a good grade in the early 2000s. I was coasting at 90-92 on 77 south around a slow bend. Cop was on the side of the road and appeared from around the bend, more than a quarter mile ahead. I applied brakes, he had lights on and rolling before I got to him. He pulls me over says he clocked me at 70 in a 65, says anything over +2 MPH over is a mandatory reckless OP. WTF? He then tells me he is gonna write me for 67 MPH (+2 MPH over to avoid the reckless OP) and hands me my ticket and says to call this number Monday to pay your fine since you are out of state. If I fight the ticket they will move forward with the Reckless OP. SMH

So I call Monday morning and get an automated menu, the menu tells me to hit 1 to contact a magistrate to find out my fine. I press one which a man answers and asks for my info and then pauses and says ok 2 MPH over, no reckless OP, $250!

I paid it moved on, and learned a lesson.

I think you're the only person on CR to get a ticket in WV. They usually don't give a fuck about speeding, just not too blatantly.

I think you're the only person on CR to get a ticket in WV. They usually don't give a fuck about speeding, just not too blatantly.

^^ this. I usually set the cruise on 77-78mph in 70mph zones. Have never been busted anywhere for this. If anything, I get passed by people going 85mph or more.

Personally on long drives, 77mph is fine for me. Just fast enough to be enjoyable yet safe.

My point was it's the only time I have ever had a traffic ticket and talked to a guy that just pulls a figure out of air that day depending on his mood, and assign that as a fine. Clearly I was speeding and admit to speeding much more than 70. Just thought the whole ordeal seemed out of Smokey and The Bandit.