Big Chief Has A Bad Wreck

wagner

I was thinking all day it was just fake stuff floating around. Glad he's ok.

Nope, as real as it gets. That's the 2nd or 3rd big wreck rollover wreck this year on that show. Guy I know out of Texas rolled his killer S-10 during filiming a few weeks ago, and now this.

I'm willing to bet the show gets the hook real soon. Putting low 4 second race cars on the street is just not safe not matter how much you pull out of the tune.

Nope, as real as it gets. That's the 2nd or 3rd big wreck rollover wreck this year on that show. Guy I know out of Texas rolled his killer S-10 during filiming a few weeks ago, and now this.

I'm willing to bet the show gets the hook real soon. Putting low 4 second race cars on the street is just not safe not matter how much you pull out of the tune.

I wish they made a place where you could prepare the surface properly to make it safer, maybe add a very robust timing systems and medical staff on hand.

Trust me, he is just a big of a prick off camera as he is on. I had to deal with him at Norwalk a few years ago, just a total fuckstick.

I don't know anybody who has anything nice to say about Rich Christensen. he was a complete dick to a few friend of mine who were participating in Pinks All out at Englishtown (2007) and Atco (2009). He's not douchebag, he's the factory that pre-fills douchebags that are then sold in Japanese vending machines next to the used panties.

Very sad to see this go, and if I remember Brian "Chucky" Davis was the hot head guy from Detroit in the red Mustang they had on a recent all country call out. Sometimes the best thing that can keep you out of a wreck it the grey matter between your ears that tells you whether or not to push that hard/far. I'm sure the footage will make it into an episode, very glad to hear Justin is ok he seems like a pretty decent dude.

I BELIEVE tonight's episode is where "Daddy Dave" reveals his Goliath car.. which didn't last long before getting loose and into a wall..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_UIR-Ild4w

I don't know anybody who has anything nice to say about Rich Christensen. he was a complete dick to a few friend of mine who were participating in Pinks All out at Englishtown (2007) and Atco (2009). He's not douchebag, he's the factory that pre-fills douchebags that are then sold in Japanese vending machines next to the used panties.

I participated in 2 pinks all out events and Rich was the biggest ass of them all. Ken was awesome, but Rich was an ass.

Thank you for the new sig materials

The worst part is the guy with 3 first names caused it by trying so hard instead of lifting. There have been so many close calls on the show and his luck just ran out. Now it's just the nova and doc. I hope someone builds a fast car so the list isn't as sad as it is now.

Why is it that a few of them that have had wrecks lose the seat welds? Is this common, or is someone fucking up?

I don't know if he lost a seat weld, it was more of a bad desgin on how they had it on the seat, that and he was using a straight carbon fiber seat with no insert.

From what I've read the mounting point for the seat should have been wider, to help spread the load, but those are e-chassis guys.

There have been some TERRIBLE wrecks this year on the track and what kept people alive vs a KIA in a lot of these was how well built the car was.

I can't stress enough guys how important safety gear is. Don't think "it will never happen to me", that is how you end up a cripple or dead. Cars are going way to fast now and its not worth it.

If you don't want to cut your car up, then don't build it to go that quick, period.

Why is it that a few of them that have had wrecks lose the seat welds? Is this common, or is someone fucking up?

I don't know if it is "common" but is not exactly rare. I have seen my share of wrecks over the years from brackets to pro-stock and in some of those cases the seat does come loose.

think of it like this: the heaviest part of the seat, the head and shoulders of the driver) are the furthest part from the seat anchor, meaning a seat with occupant in the middle of a fast rollover has the driver acting as a large lever on the seat welds.

Car design makes a difference as well. In a car like Daddy Dave's Chevy II the car is a unibody construction car, which means the only option for welding the seat in is either the floor or the roll bar. In a wreck, if the floor is compromised (like it would be in a normal wreck with a unibody car) then all bets are off as to how well that seat will stay attached. The original Chevy II has braces to support but keep in mind they were never meant to hold up in wreckes at the speeds these cars are traveling. I don't think a chevy engineer in 1961 ever imagined a Chevy II doing 180mph.

When you look at something like Justin's big A-body Lemans - The stock seat and seat belt locations go right through the floor into a floor extension that is further reinforced by a full frame. However I can say from having taken apart more than a few wrecked A-body pontiacs the floors in those cars are easily distorted in a wreck. I have seen whole seats pull the bolts right out of the floor in legal speed street wrecks (I had a roll over 1967 that I parted out that broke all the welds on the floor braces).

I think that even the current NHRA, IHRA, and local governing bodies for the classes these cars run in don't have great seat guidelines. The current guide lines requiring bracing the seat to the roll bar were written with those plastic and fiberglass racing seats in mind that used to break in wrecks - so the focus and practice is to prevent breaking the seat and not to keep in securely fastened to the floor. Again I don't think these rules were written with the speeds these cars are traveling in mind.

Chief and Shawn have a pod cast on itunes, episode 7 talks about the wreck. Chief came straight from the hospital to do the podcast. He describes the wreck, the week leading up to the wreck and all of his bad luck, what happened, and that the seat welds did not break. Said the car saved his life and he stresses the important of safety, even in a car that just street races. I actually really enjoy the podcasts, they are some normal shit talking car guys just like everyone else.