2013 F150 ticking noise

mrhobbz

So, I bought a 2013 F150 with the 3.7L to daily drive and when I bought it the Y pipe was smashed up. Rather than pay $1400 for a new y-pipe i took it to an exhaust shop today and they were able to fix the leak after cutting and welding in a new section of pipe right after the cat (it was bent up and pushed the cat up so it wasn't sealing at the manifold flange)

I drove it home and I noticed what sounds like another exhaust leak on the passenger side but it only happens at operating temp, prior to operating temp it sounds find and we can't hear/feel any leaks using a hose to probe with. It also seems to increase with the AC on. It definitely doesn't sound like bottom end noise but its driving me f'in nuts, any one have any ideas? As a note, fresh oil, levels are good, etc etc.

I found this guys video and it sounds nearly identical

Truck runs fine, better actually now that the pre-cat exhaust leak is gone.

Because Fords are junk. This was my '13 GT with like 15k miles on it. Bought a Chevy, fixed the tick.

To each their own, I've had a handful of chebbys fail catastrophically and some junk ass dodges but I've never had any of my fords leave me stranded anywhere. Thanks for the "fix"

Pretty sure I found the cause for anyone interested. The exhaust shop that fixed the bent y pipe said they were surprised the exhaust manifold didn't crack/break since it was being pushed up about 1.5-2" from where the y pipe was bent upwards.

After looking around with a plumbing camera I found a crack on the passenger side exhaust manifold, going to hit it with some quick steel and see what happens

Pretty sure I found the cause for anyone interested. The exhaust shop that fixed the bent y pipe said they were surprised the exhaust manifold didn't crack/break since it was being pushed up about 1.5-2" from where the y pipe was bent upwards.

After looking around with a plumbing camera I found a crack on the passenger side exhaust manifold, going to hit it with some quick steel and see what happens

It does sound like a typical exhaust leak.. Now IF that doesnt fix it...if it is the same as that video I wonder if a piece of the catalytic internals could be broken and clanking around inside there.. Long shot, but it kind of sounded like that.

Ticking noise = Time Bomb. You can try to use the odometer as the countdown clock... but they're notoriously inaccurate. Best to off load that grenade before it blows up in your face.

Care to elaborate since you obviously know these motors so well?

If not an exhaust leak check that valve train for anything broken. collapsed lifter, rocker arm, valve spring etc. A ticking noise could be a lot of different things so they can be a bitch to track down especially without the help of a CEL code being set

If not an exhaust leak check that valve train for anything broken. collapsed lifter, rocker arm, valve spring etc. A ticking noise could be a lot of different things so they can be a bitch to track down especially without the help of a CEL code being set

Yeah will look into that too, I haven't had time to mess with it the past few days, seems to only pop up when it gets up to operating temp, 0 noise from a cold start. Going to have my father whose been a mechanic for 30 some odd years take a listen to it when I run over there for turkey day.

Worse case scenario; I drive maybe 2300 miles a year so its not exactly going to see any hard driving.

I know the older F150's had problems with cracking exhaust manifolds. Typically those noises go away as the engine gets to operating temp, metal expands, and gaps close up. Internal engine noises show up more as it gets up to operating temp and the oil thins.

I know the older F150's had problems with cracking exhaust manifolds. Typically those noises go away as the engine gets to operating temp, metal expands, and gaps close up. Internal engine noises show up more as it gets up to operating temp and the oil thins.

Finally figured it out, took it over to my fathers house and he looked at it. The noise is a combination of things, #1 is a small exhaust leak on the drivers side at the band clamp and its dripping condensation causing a gurgling sound. The actual ticking noise is typical noise from the VCT/VVT junk/injector noise. Going to try to tighten up that band clamp or replace it and should be good to go after that.

Thanks for all the comments folks, appreciate it.