Twin turbo vs single turbo with Nitrous

The_buster

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me and a co-worker were talking about twin turbo cars. Hes said that a single turbo with nos will make the same power quicker, and more reliably than twin turbo. My thinking was that a sequential twin turbo setup would be better for off the line and then the big turbo would kick in for top end.

So for a 1/4 mile setup using an SRT4 Neon as a starting point. Fully built motor, with sequential turbos, or single turbo with nos?

Pros and cons of each?

This is also kind of a "dream build" for me. My goal is after we get a house with a garage, is to buy a cheap one. I wouldn't be worried about condition as I would be building it from the ground up. Just a project car that I can go have fun at the track with.

1. Sequential turbos are mostly used on bigger motors (think 2jz) or diesel guys use them too with their bat shit crazy stuff http://www.dragzine.com/news/wild-9-second-triple-turbo-duramax-diesel-powered-chevy-nova/

2. Single turbo with nitrous is usually something you see with the above because they need to "light" the turbo, or with diesel guys its because of the giant turbo and engine combo. You don't want a turbo that is to big for the small motor with something that will see street duty, you will hate it.

3. Go to work on Monday and punch that coworker in the throat so he can't say stupid things anymore.

I'm not going to be critical of your build, its your money, at least you doing car things with it.

If your heart is set on a SRT Neon, keep it simple, a good single turbo, with good engine parts and have fun.

Never dump cubic dollars into a pie in the sky dream nobody else has done, your project never gets done or never meets your goals unless you have the money.

1. Sequential turbos are mostly used on bigger motors (think 2jz) or diesel guys use them too with their bat shit crazy stuff http://www.dragzine.com/news/wild-9-second-triple-turbo-duramax-diesel-powered-chevy-nova/

2. Single turbo with nitrous is usually something you see with the above because they need to "light" the turbo, or with diesel guys its because of the giant turbo and engine combo. You don't want a turbo that is to big for the small motor with something that will see street duty, you will hate it.

3. Go to work on Monday and punch that coworker in the throat so he can't say stupid things anymore.

I'm not going to be critical of your build, its your money, at least you doing car things with it.

If your heart is set on a SRT Neon, keep it simple, a good single turbo, with good engine parts and have fun.

Never dump cubic dollars into a pie in the sky dream nobody else has done, your project never gets done or never meets your goals unless you have the money.

If he wants to be the first person to make a neon cool or fast let him try.

Just something to consider:

Cylinder Pressure. The higher it is, the more power you make. How complicated you make that is up to you. When you start adding different forms, you need to be cognoscente of the plan to control everything so things don't go south quickly - and if they do - how to limit the blast radius.

Just something to consider:

Cylinder Pressure. The higher it is, the more power you make. How complicated you make that is up to you. When you start adding different forms, you need to be cognoscente of the plan to control everything so things don't go south quickly - and if they do - how to limit the blast radius.

After some reading my understanding is this. For a turbo set up you would want a low compression engine build to counter the turbo compressing the air it spools. Correct?

Yes on turbo motors you want lower static compression as when you are pushing extra air into the cylinders you are pushing the Dynamic compression up. As the D compression goes up you'll have higher and higher pressures and need higher fuels to handle the mix. Also keep in mind, if you are doing something like this you are going to end up doing forged internals, cam, upgraded fuel, head studs, tuning, exhaust, etc etc... Unfortunately on most cars you don't have enough "wiggle room" to just bolt on and go

If I do it, it will be a complete proper build. Not shooting for a weekend throw together. I want to do it right and hopefully it will last more than one pass. haha

Start with a reliable car that is very lightly used, and comes with a turbo from the factory. Enjoy it stock for a year, minimum. Tune it, light bolt ons, and enjoy it for another year, minimum. All the while learning about turbo cars. Then add a larger turbo and start talking "builds".

Not to be judgmental (which means I'm being judgmental), but if you're asking about low compression being good for a turbo motor, you're in over your head, talking about a "ground-up" build, and dual power adder neons. It's crazy talk.