First Car For $5k or Less Guide

ShowHBK

It really is depressing how little you get for 5k now a days...

Somewhat agree. That's a pretty comprehensive list...can't argue that there isn't a lot of choice out there.

But, there are some really solid $5k vehicles on that list, having owned many of them. :) (Suzuki Samurai, C4 Corvette, E36 BMW 3-series, Civic...)

No Vibe GT/Matrix XRS? Fits the category perfectly. Near unbeatable reliability; basically a Corolla hatch/wagon but with the zippy Celica GTS 2zz and 6sp. Fun daily and good on gas as long as you don't live in Lift.

List does have some good choices.

No Vibe GT/Matrix XRS? Fits the category perfectly. Near unbeatable reliability; basically a Corolla hatch/wagon but with the zippy Celica GTS 2zz and 6sp. Fun daily and good on gas as long as you don't live in Lift.

List does have some good choices.

An awd version also, correct?

Not with that motor from what I remember. It only came in a 6 speed manual with FWD. I bought my wife a 2005 Vibe and we handed it over to my teenage daughter. It has been beat to hell by 2 teenage girl drivers and has 120k miles now - not a single repair other than normal maintenance.

I didn't see it on here (unless I missed it), but the Toyota Yaris could be a good find. Near 40 MPG with the manual tranny and great Toyota reliability. My winter beater Cavalier just died on me, so I've been looking around for one to replace it... :nod:

As Casey mentioned, the AWD was only available w/the 1zz which was about 138-140hp. No lift. ;) People routinely take these cars beyond 300k. I'm amazed at how many people on the Vibe and Matrix forums come back to these cars, even buying an older one than the one they lost in an accident or whatever else.