Railroad Ties

Hwilli1647545487

Quick aside: I made quite a bit of money in the 80's "borrowing" railroad ties and building heavy duty picnic tables among a few other things. To be fair, (and to ease my conscious :) lol), many of the ties would've been left to rot at this old railroad lot.

, many of the ties would've been left to rot at this old railroad lot.

I know of multiple places within 5 miles of me there are large quantities of RR ties, hundreds of them if not thousands of them just sitting for years. But they're behind fencing on what I assume is RR property. Wouldn't be hard to get to, but good luck navigating the RR red tape to get permission to take them.

As a teenager I did landscaping work and dealt with railroad tie retaining walls several times. I seem to remember them being treated with something very caustic or carcinogenic. Just something to consider.

$2 each seems like a great deal.

As a teenager I did landscaping work and dealt with railroad tie retaining walls several times. I seem to remember them being treated with something very caustic or carcinogenic. Just something to consider.

$2 each seems like a great deal.

Don't burn them or eat off them. Otherwise, the wood last a long time due to those chemicals.

Here's where I used to get mine! lol Probably not worth the trip for you...

https://goo.gl/maps/yh5fLUG85UN2

I seem to remember them being treated with something very caustic or carcinogenic. Just something to consider.

That something is called creostote, carcenogenic indeed.

Fun fact: Raw creostote was dumped straight into the upper Scioto for years back in the early 1900's. The river was so polluted the EPA had to dig an entirely new river bed a mile to the east and permanitely re-route the river.