Direct-injection valve buildup XP

ImUrOBGYN

I've heard and seen quite a bit about this issue. For those who have direct injection engines, what has been your experience? Turbos seem to fair even worse.

Here's an example of what I'm referring to:

Ignore the actual subject content, or don't, I'm only using this vid for the valve pics. (EDIT***Forgot you cannot embed with a specific start time. Begin the video @4:20, please or click the direct link.)

Many manufacturers seem a bit quiet about this. Toyota got around this issue right off the bat about a decade ago by utilizing both port and direct injection with their original D-4S system. (Their system is also the only reason the FA20 in the FRS/BRZ makes its 100hp/L, as it's capable of more than just keeping the valves cleaner.) The only reason I can see other manu's not using something similar is for cost/complexity reasons.

Personally I think if manufacturers did a better job with the PCV system it would be much less of an issue. Of course all I'm really familiar with is GM, their position seems to be that it's going to happen so as a tech we have a ton of bullitens about putting chemicals into the intake to clean it up. Take the 1LE Camaro for example they actually used a catch can, although not direct injected they know PCV is an issue.

I never thought about Toyota's direct/port injection hybrid system as having benefits of both. Makes lots of sense and aids in cleaning.

I own/have owned three vehicles with GDI, unfortunately all of them have too low of a mileage to make intake valve deposit a problem. AFAIK, there are a few chemicals available over the counter to clean the deposit. There is also another cleaning method using media blasting (walnut shell) which is a lot more involved and expensive.

Bring engine up to operating temp.

Put car in second gear, bring up to 6000 rpm's.

Hold at 6000 RPM's for about 3-5 seconds.

Let off throttle, till about 2000 RPM's.

Repeat 2-3 times.

Carbon Cleaned.

Driving like a Women is what causes 70% of Carbon Issues :thumbup:

The products GM would have us use get sucked in through a vacuum line, or you'd pull the intake and soak it depending on how bad it was.

This seems to be basically what I'm hearing.

Repeat 2-3 times.

Carbon Cleaned.

The Vibe is barely taking a breath at 6k rpm. ;)

Repeat 2-3 times.

Carbon Cleaned.

Not on a direct injection engine Toolio

The buildup on a direct injection engine is much larger, harder, and sticks to the valves with greater force than a port injection/ carburated engine. I have seen the buildup in the 7/16" range on a 1.25" valve. It either has to be cleaned manually, or with a some liquid introduced into the intake. The latter of the two being less effective, but obviously easier. Revving up the engine will either take small particles off or large iceberg chunks, that will not go through the valve, and may get stuck.

Then there's the added weight of that buildup on a valve, opening and closing 3000 times per minute, hopefully the spring is up to the task of pulling the valve back in place before the piston takes the same real estate.

As stated before in heavy buildup instances, manual scraping and vacuuming out is needed