Sim Racers thread

BIGGU

So we started to go off topic in another thread and I figured since we have alot of people here that are actually into sim racing lets start a thread about it.

What is everyones "Rig" and what game(s) are you playing?

Heres my setup, currenty just on my desk but I am planning on building a cockpit shortly.

Wheel: Thrustmaster T300RS

Shifter: Thrustmaster Th8a

Pedals: Thrustmaster T3PA-Pro pedals (running as hanging pedals)

Handbrake : Custom controlled by arduino board

Button box: Working on one, will be ran by arduino board again.

accessories: DSD t500 wheel adapter, Momo "Drifting" wheel

24464412231_4f801a3727_b.jpg

Games I play:

Live for Speed, Licensed to s3 (primary drifting) User ID Fixion

Assetto Corsa, Drifting some grip

if any one is looking for Mid Ohio for Assetto Corsa, I have it and I can send it to you. IIRC mid ohio had it removed due to licensing but ive got a copy with chicane and with out.

Not really much of a setup, but some Gran Turismo, a HD TV, and a Logitech Driving Force GT wheel. Still a hundred times better than a controller. No clutch, but at least I do have a shifter. The centerpiece that the wheel and foot controls are attached to is actually an old end table. It will slide in and out of that entertainment center, though I usually leave it in when I play.

Crappy pic just now taken from my couch Alert:

http://i.imgur.com/SjYvfC9.jpg?2

Heres my setup:

Homemade Racing Rig (Wood & Carpet) Wheel Column has adjustable height and reach

Seat: Basic Jeg's Special w/adjustable slide

Wheel: Thrustmaster TX 458 Italia

Pedals: Thrustmaster Standard Pedals

http://i.imgur.com/jjG8g61.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/MECifKa.jpg

Xbox One:

GamerTag: morabu LIVE

Forza 6

PC:

Steam ID: morabu

Project Cars

Assetto Corsa

if any one is looking for Mid Ohio for Assetto Corsa, I have it and I can send it to you. IIRC mid ohio had it removed due to licensing but ive got a copy with chicane and with out.

Yes Please!

I have been wanting to race at Mid-Ohio. I would appreciate it

and here's a lap of mine in Project Cars

No wheel yet, but I've been wanting to build a cockpit. Started watching lots of guys on YouTube with crazy setups and there are some great not do difficult DIY designs on there too.

As far as what I've been playing, basically just Dirt Rally, which is the best rally sim since Richard Burns Rally.

This is not my personal setup... But I did construct, setup, and calibrate this for a friend who wanted to get into iRacing on PC.

Wheel, Shifter, and Pedals are all Logitech G29

TV: TCL Roku 42"

Front facing speakers

System:

FX:6300 (No OC)

MSI R9 370

8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 mhz

OCZ 128 GB SSD

In testing it ran the game on "Quality settings" at a butter smooth 81 FPS and the lowest I saw was 72 FPS. Was very pleased with the build.

12628474_10156519925385085_3130192773083028983_o.jpg

try this for mid ohio, its my original download link. let it repair and you should be fine.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/52a6w8ucuza81uw/midohio12all.rar

as far as clutch and shifter, its awesome. I love mine. I had a G27 before and it was pretty meh but the thustmaster setup is actually really awesome with its feel.

• 3 months later...

So I haven't really updated this thread in a while but ive done a lot of changes.... and I mean a lot.

Starting it off, My t300 the mounting screw stripped out of the base. My fault I admit it, I like the wheel to be secure and not to move so I would tighten it more than I probably should. Thrust master sent me a new mount screw which didn't work because the treads stripped on the base not the screw. Ended up sending the base back for repair/ replacement along with my mounting attachment, New base showed up about 2 weeks later with no mount screw. Contacted, they said sorry and sent a screw about a week later. They suggested I decrease the mount and un mount time of the wheel..... yea that's not a solution.

Put the wheel on the desk, got into racing and about 15 minutes into it the wheel looses all FFB and starts to behave erratically. great another contact to thrust master. The agree the wheel is faulty and RMA it. Two weeks later, wheel returns repaired. Mount the wheel FFB works now but the steering has a clicky feel and the steering shaft postion sensor is either not working or a belt inside is slipping because any time I turn the wheel while it will still turn full rotation, in games is corresponds to random steering ratios. Fed up, I contact Thrustmaster explain the situation and they request to RMA the wheel. This is about 3 months of me already not having a working wheel and I was over it. Thankfully I purchased an extended service plan at Micro Center when I purchased it, so I went to exchange and guess what. they no longer carry the t300 setup.

which leads me to my dilemma, do I go back to the g29 which was mediocre or go to what ive been wanting which is the Fanatec and just ignore the price and how much it hurts.

so I decided to finally get off my butt and build my Sim rig. I had always planned on building one with a fully working SC300 Dash and center console. I have a Lexus SC430 sitting in the garage so might as well make it work right?

Made a run to Stargate metals and bought some 1 1/4" stainless steel square tube and decided to weld it all up. First on the docket was to get the seat working. I was able to find the wiring diagram and I was able to get the SC430 seat to have full motion capability using a standard 12v power source. so Ive now got my seat and slider setup. Next step was building the base.

here's the progress after a few days of tinkering, seat mounted and the thrustmaster pedal in place not mounted.

27217110915_a0b97435f0_b.jpg

This then brings me back to my dilemma I had with the wheel as this is when thrustmaster said we will need the wheel back in for service. Frustrated on not having a working wheel for 3 months I said screw it and went for the Fanatec setup that ive always wanted.

27120303872_b50fc2177d_b.jpg

heres what I ended up with,

Fanatec Clubsport V2 base

Fanatec ClubSport Shifter V 1.5 US

Fanatec ClubSport Steering Wheel Porsche 918 RSR

Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V3

Before you say it. Yes it is a stupid amount of money for this setup I am well aware of it. HOWEVER, OMG its rather amazing. The wheel feel, the pedal feel, everything is perfect like you would expect from a real car....

26611519623_7c018dc75d_b.jpg

Back to the rig, on Sunday, I finally got the welding finished up and mounted the seat, wheel, pedals and shifter on the base and brought it home. For now, I just hooked it all up to my main PC and monitor as I haven't figured out what I'm doing for monitors yet.

27120287462_3b0efe45f4_b.jpg

I will say the experience is much better in a solid mounted setup.

All in all, Ive got about $120 in the base from materials but quite a lot of time in welding it up. I ended up not putting the dash on it or the center console because of the way I did the wheel mount but ill end up building another one id guess with the dash and what not.

as far as monitors, I'm seriously considering just going to VR. While I know the quality is decent its about the same price as a monitor setup if not a tad more but since I returned my old stuff to microcenter ive got store credit that can be used toward it. I'm still un decided yet.