2005 STI: SCCA RallyX build (Second Stage complete.)

Draco-REX

Got the car back from ZB with a clean bill of health. Compression test came out at 140+ on all cylinders, and everything else that I'm not replacing is in good condition. The timing belt and water pump was replaced WAY early too, so I don't have to deal with that for another 100K miles.

However, when I went to fill it up on the way home I discovered that at least one of the previous owners liked to top-off the tank. Sigh.... The vent system is clogged so it doesn't like taking gas unless I twist the gas handle upwards. No way to be sure I'm filling the tank so I can't monitor the mileage either.

Pro tip: When the pump shuts off, STOP FILLING THE TANK!

Shifting was painfully difficult before. But with a fresh fill of Motul 300, it's already much better. Some more miles and hopefully the shifting will be back to normal.

So, Stage 1 complete! Now for Stage 2, engine/durability improvements.

In the plan:

Radiator

Intercooler

Intake

Axle-back

Skid plates

Driveline bushings

It's finally time for the fun stuff!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played around a bit with the STI today. Drove it around for a while and the shifting is like new now. I'm so happy that worked out. Additionally some gear whine I noticed wet away too, so that old fill was completely shot.

The short armrest is assembled and on, and I fixed the glove box after Subaru broke it doing the Takata Air Bag recall. I also did a couple other small tweaks:

24487765449_a824bb74bf_b.jpg

The obvious one is the shift knob and extension. Both are from WC Lathe Werks. The big white shifter knob with grooves is for easy sight out of the corner of my eye and good grip. The extension brings it up closer to the wheel for faster shifting. Really, I'm not fixing any problems I had in the past with shifting; I never missed a shift due to being unable to find the shifter. But I thought it wouldn't hurt to have it bright white, and that I'd like to try it with the extension as I've seen the extended shifters in other motorsports. I installed it and drove around with it on. I REALLY like it. The extension and angle coupled with the short shifter feels so natural. This setup is on my "Must Have List" for this chassis. It's angled slightly forward and is in 1st in the pic above, so that's as close to the wheel as it gets.

In doing this, I was reminded why I despise Perrin products so much. When I removed the Perrin shift knob there was an odd spring between it and the Perring reverse lockout ring. Shrugging at their weirdness, I put the spring with the knob and installed the new extension. When I went for a drive I discovered what that spring was for. The reason why I hate Perrin products is because when developing a new product, they do 95% of the development work and then says "Fuck It, put a bandaid on it!" for the remaining 5%. In this case, when they realized their reverse lockout ring makes an annoying rattling noise, did they go back and fix the problem? Maybe with a slightly larger bore and a nylon bushing to fix the issue? No. They just shipped a spring to put pressure on the lockout and reduce the noise. I don't see why they're so popular. Their shit is always not quite right, and yet you see cars stuffed to the gills with Perrin crap.

Anyways. Another small addition to the cockpit is the red JDM Hazard button. No real reason. I bought one for my original STI and never installed it. I saw it laying around and thought I might as well pop it in.

I also cleaned up some of the tint on the tail lights.

24559884800_275901b565_b.jpg

It was cracking and flaking around the circles since they're raised. I just cut around them and peeled it off those lights. I think it looks ok. I might remove the rest of it since from about 5 feet away you can see the damaged film around them.

So nothing difficult or involved, but it was nice to get some tangible customizing done.

• 3 weeks later...

Stage 2 of the build is pretty much complete! :)

The pile of boxes:

24633658134_6fecb69db0_b.jpg

In this pile is:

Mishimoto racing radiator

Mishimoto top mount intercooler

GroupN engine mounts

Kartboy shifter bushings

Cobb SF intake

Primitive Racing skid plates

Grimmspeed hood scoop splitter

Amsoil Signature ATF

Lucas Super Coolant additive

Killer B radiator shroud and engine dress-up cover

misc chemicals and a Lisle Spill Free coolant funnel

Last weekend was unseasonably warm and perfect for getting all this done. I love being able to just spend a whole day or two modifying my car, and this was no exception.

With a big list like this, I like to start with something quick and easy to get the ball rolling and start the day with a success. For this project, I decided to start with the rear diff protector.

24633650884_9f0a5b3b57_b.jpg

Primitive Racing offers two styles of protector for the rear diff. The stronger of the two is fully boxed and mounts to the rear subframe, surrounding the diff. This one isn't quite as beefy. However, in discussion with Paul Eklund, the boxed protector wouldn't clear the 3" exhaust on the car. So I went with the mini pictured above. It's made from 1/8" aluminum plate with an additional 1/8" plate along the belly making for a full 1/4" of armor. It's still strong enough to use a jacking point for the rear of the car.

Installation was straight forward and very easy. It mounts to the two studs that mound the carrier by the pinion and the two lower cover bolts in the rear.

24633668284_0f26ac48a3_b.jpg

While I'm sure the case itself is strong enough for SCCA RallyX, I do plan to participate in SCCA Rally Trial events. Those events have longer and higher speed events. An extra bit of armor there would be welcome if I kick up a rock at 60mph.

With that small success, I decided to work my way forward and install the shifter bushings. But when I climbed under the car to get to the linkage, I discovered that they had already been done by the previous owner. So the play I'm feeling in the shift lever is due to a part that tends to wear out. A part that I didn't have... Oh well. 1 success, 1 failure.

At this point, I pulled the parts that were being replaced. Out came the radiator, intercooler, pitch stop, and the intake.

25238100476_1b0d962205_b.jpg

So much room for activities! (which is the point)

With this done, I decided to tackle the engine mounts. I did them once a long time ago. I remember them being difficult, but figured I could man up and get them done... Yeah, fuck that noise. I forgot just how much of a PITA it is to change the mounts with the engine in the car. After much swearing, a fat lip, some busted knuckles, and a sore neck I gave up. The Group N mounts will go on the shelf and get done the next time the engine is out of the car. 1 success, 2 failures.

So, forget the mounts, time for the radiator. The stock Subaru radiator is actually pretty efficient. But I'm upgrading for a couple reasons. First reason is that RallyX (and AutoX) is a relatively slower speed event, but the engine tents to see high RPMs. This can make it tough for the radiator to shed heat on hotter days. So I wanted more capacity to keep the temps stable. Secondly, when a skidplate is added to one of these cars, it becomes much more difficult for the hot air to escape the engine bay and cooling suffers. This was something I ran into with the WRX which lead to a radiator upgrade and cutting vents in the hood. I went with a Mishimoto radiator in that car and I was very happy with it, so I decided to go that route again.

25238127056_74d8a8f2c9_b.jpg

Mishimoto's X-Line STI/WRX radiator uses a full 3-row 2" core. So it should provide even better cooling than the one I had in the WRX. Here is it vs the stock radiator:

25171250461_988cff1a8f_b.jpg

I'm not cutting vents in the hood just yet, however. I most likely will eventually, but I went a slightly different route with the skid plate this time that may help with the heat extraction issue. So with the radiator in, I could put the front skid plate on.

A front skid plate is really a good idea, even in RallyX. Courses can end up with pretty deep ruts, and large bumps can cause bottoming out. A stock plastic undertray can be very short lived.

24968832780_223b5c65b2_b.jpg

3/16" Aluminum plate with an additional 3/16" stinger to protect the transmission. I also got the spacer option. It's offered for cars with aftermarket headers, but I'm hoping the spacers will help with cooling. On the car, it looks like they will work:

24968842210_cfd8b382ce_b.jpg

It does reduce the front clearance however. I may trim the front spacers and angle it upwards, hopefully giving me better initial clearance but still maintaining good heat extraction. Dirt clod's eye view:

25171293461_c767be8383_b.jpg

Next up, I bolted in the Group N pitch stop and tackled the intercooler. This wasn't on my initial list of upgrades, but I figured I might as well since they're relatively easy to install and the added cooling is always a good thing. I chose the Mishimoto intercooler because I liked the different routing. The stock unit uses a Y pipe behind the intercooler that looks restrictive. The Mishimoto uses a side-inlet and larger pipe.

24637688233_8094877dbb_b.jpg

The core is about the same size as stock from the top, but it's thicker and noticeably heavier, meaning more aluminum in the construction.

24896826159_ddc966185f_b.jpg

Installation was really easy, even if Mishimoto doesn't have any instructions for it yet... The only stumbling block was the bypass tube. The clamp for the stock one where it meets the inlet before the turbo was rotated so it was under the intake. I wasn't going to fight with it and left the stock one on rather than using the one supplied. You can see the side-inlet and larger pipe better when it's installed:

24637709623_0c5f5efa9a_b.jpg

With the new intercooler, I needed a better hood scoop splitter. The stock one doesn't seal well and leaves a little to be desired in distributing the air that comes in through the hood scoop. The Grimspeed one offers better sir direction, a wider opening for the intercooler core and a better seal. You can see the extra vane here:

24896865199_c6a2e5e491_b.jpg

And the larger opening here:

24633918514_4ee38f9f37_b.jpg

I was going to install the intake next, but discovered that the intake that came with the car eliminated a stock piece that was needed for the new one I was going to install. So I had to get that piece before finishing. I picked it up yesterday and finally finished the car tonight.

I wanted a short ram intake because the "cold air" one on the car puts the air filter way too low. With the future modifications I was planning, it'd be directly exposed to dirt kicked up by the front wheel. Moving the filter back into the engine bay was needed. I chose the Cobb SF intake for it's velocity stack style design with integrated flow straighteners and optional heat shield.

24637776413_d95bf49cd1_b.jpg

I added a pre-filter from K&N. There will still be plenty of dirt and debris coming in through the openings in the fender. I wanted to keep the worst of it off the main element and make it easy to clean. K&N has a HUGE selection of pre-filters for almost any kind of air filter.

25238311906_2494dda19a_b.jpg

And installed with the heat shield (less the cover):

25171439771_a383cf8ec1_b.jpg

I'll need to log the car a bit to make sure the MAF is still scaled right. But I don't think it will have changed too much.

Overall a successful project. :) The car should be more reliable and more durable with more consistent performance.

From this:

24359373260_b82bd8f768_b.jpg

To this:

24693225964_c84248970e_b.jpg

Next stage of the build is the suspension; the heart and soul of an off-road racer. :)

Edited by Draco-REX
Better finished pic

Love the progress. Just spent way more time than I should have on Primitive's site, looking at skid plates for the STi and Outback.

Me too Joe.

Engine bay defintley looks cleaner. I bet you cant wait to get it out and rallyX

Go for it. It's solid peace of mind to have that big plate under your engine. And I never had cooling issues around town. Only when I was racing in the heat.

A dirty Subaru is a happy Subaru, so I definitely can't wait. First event is March 19. The car may not be done by then, but it will be ready to race.

Subscribed. I miss my old Scooby.

Once a Subaru owner, always a Subaru owner. You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave!

This looks like so much more fun than trying to keep a car clean as new :)

Oh I have a couple of those too.. But yeah, having a can designed to be beaten on and survive makes it more fun. :)

I hate the process to change the oil, and the way the shield is set up. But, don't know that I would throw $250 at it for a skid plate I'm not likely to do any off roading with.

Hearing a piece of junk on the highway or big chunk of ice bounce off that big armored plate with a "THUNK" is soo satisfying. You can order them with holes for the oil drain and filter too.

Very cool build.

From a guy that whines about $100 parts, I appreciate the full swan dive you take into these sorts of projects. :thumbup:

It seems like every time I go cheap or used it comes back to bite me in the ass, and often ends up costing me as much as the better or new part. For this build in particular, I can't compromise.

Looks great! I love the crazy detail you put into the upgrades.

PM me and we'll find an hour to restore those headlights to brand new clarity. You're just around the corner from me.

Thanks. I actually tend to obsess a little over my part choices... I picked up a lens cleaning kit at Advance. But if you've got something special, I'd be interested.

Thanks. I actually tend to obsess a little over my part choices... I picked up a lens cleaning kit at Advance. But if you've got something special, I'd be interested.

I'll pm you later. Kit is Good but we can use an orbital and specific Polish to do it better and faster.

Edited by TTQ B4U

Hearing a piece of junk on the highway or big chunk of ice bounce off that big armored plate with a "THUNK" is soo satisfying. You can order them with holes for the oil drain and filter too.

I was thinking of road debris after posting. This might happen. I do like it, a lot!

• 2 weeks later...