Coilovers, sway bars, and alignment

TheLost

Hey all,

I haven't been too active recently, but I just picked up (ordered) a new set of Coilovers (BC Racing BR + Swift, NON-Mega Drop), HKS sway bars, and some new toe rods and trac rods from FIGS.

Being that I'm a college student, I'm not too set on money, and would clearly prefer to do this myself/with help to avoid shop costs. But also, being that I'm an out-of-state-er here at Otterbein I don't have a home garage here in Ohio.

The question is this.

Is there anyone on here that wouldn't mind helping me out? Just a day or two in a shop to get everything installed, and someone who knows their way around an alignment to get it aligned properly. I can pay a little for the time/alignment, just name a price, and whether it's money or a six-pack, etc.

If there's no one available, I understand, but if anyone could point me in the right direction of a local shop around here that would do the work cheap, but not botch the alignment like most shops do, that would work as well.

Thanks, Everyone,

Lost

*Car in question is a 2001 IS300

I don't know you, but if all else fails and you decide to backyard the job you can bring the car over to my house. I've got air tools and a nice half-basketball-court of asphalt. Can't help you with the alignment, though.

If you find a shop, let me know because working on cold concrete/asphalt sucks. :)

Thanks, guys!

Awesome, so now that I know Lucore does alignments (PM to get price), I'd definitely appreciate the help getting it all on. How far away from y'all is Lucore's? I ask because I don't exactly want to drive on a poor alignment very far to get to an alignment place, and I don't want to drop $$$ on having the car towed.

I should message Grant about the alignment.

EDIT:

which sponsor is Lucore??? 99StockGT right?

Yes sir that's us :) We are in Plain City

7245 Industrial Parkway

Plain City, 43064

Essentially just past Dublin, hit the Post Rd exit do the roundies and you are here

You would be hard pressed to find a better alignment wizard than Rich (owner of the shop) who would be doing your alignment. Get it all together and get it to us we'll make ya happy.

Typically speaking, and this is without seeing the car of course, you are usually looking at a standard full service alignment which is 99.00. If you have some specific geometry you are looking for we can incorporate that as well. Anything where we are talking modification of parts, broken/rusty/annoying things are all handled on a case by case and done on the CR modified labor rate.

Long and short of it is, if it's just some basic make it go straight kind of stuff, you are looking at 99.00 plus tax :)

Thanks!

The alignment I was going for was -.05 toe out on the front (-.1 complex), .05 toe in on the rear (.1 complex), and -1.5*/-1* camber F/R.

So I'm probably looking at a little more than $99 plus tax, I'd assume.

Nevermind on any of the help requested.

Someone (I assume a drunk driver) ran me off the road about 2 hours ago and sped away. Cars is fuuuuucked. Frame is straight. Suspension looks Ok. Everything runs fine.

But the bumper, hood, fender, headlight, etc. are done for.

I'll get a better look in the morning.

Unfortunately, I can't cancel/return the coilover order, but at least I can hang on to all of it as motivation to get the car back together.

Wish me luck.

Edited by TheLost

I took a better look this morning. This car won't be a street car any time soon.

Going to be parting it out, if anyone wants anything, let me know.

Once gutted, the chassis still rolls true, so it would make a great donor car for a drift missile.

Hmmm is this a 6 speed?

No IS300 Was ever a 6 speed in the states.

Correct.

It's a 5spd auto, but I'm parting out the car, so if you want the shell when that's left, the current transmission won't matter, or engine for that matter.

The great thing is the chassis has a near 50/50 weight distribution, so if you want that top swap an engine and tranny in to, let me know and once it's stripped, it's all yours. Hella cheap, too.

No IS300 Was ever a 6 speed in the states.

With all the crazy swaps that go into these cars, one never knows what one my find ;)

Should be a decently easy car to part out though still plenty of people enthusiastically building them. Just glad the car took the hit not the driver!

Unfortunately no. Got wrapped up in about 20 different things and wasn't able to pull the engine. Fortunately, the guy buying the engine is patient and doesn't mind waiting another week for it. Going to try and get it out over the course of the week (everything unbolted, hoses disconnected, reservoirs drained) and rent a hoist on saturday (or not rent depending on if anyone wants to borrow me one). Made decent progress for only having a travel kit. Air tools would be amazing.

If you weren't on the entire other side of the city from our shop we could definitely be of more help to you. Are you planning to just hoist out and put it on a tire or have an engine stand ready to put it on once it's out?

Just hoisting it out and putting the engine and tranny on a tire + double long pallet. Some guy out west wants to buy it, and have it shipped to him. Couple guys from Virginia also want it to throw in an E30 BMW. So I'm still seeing who's going to buy it, but it needs to be out before I can do that.

I already decided against getting another IS. If it wasn't meant to be, it wasn't meant to be. Thinking of moving on to a Soarer or maybe an S chassis, though an RX8 with a blown motor just went up for sale back in WI for 2000obo, and an LSx + T56 went up for about $3k. Interesting thoughts, but I probably won't do that.