Fr-s/brz boost options

Buckeye1647545503

Forced Induction Buyer's Guide from the FT86 Club Forum:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56783

There's more real-world experience there than anyplace else (21 pages of information on the Buyer's Guide thread alone and 118,000 posts to the FI section).

I've been happy with the HKS kit. I had problems with a custom pulley shredding the belt, but that's been sorted out.

http://i1008.photobucket.com/albums/af208/trentrbrts/GT86_LR-39_zpslq1snkh4.jpg

(photo by Mike LaNasa)

Depends on his goals/wants and budget. Street car only? I would do the Edelbrock blower if he wants a straight forward s/c or the SBD turbo kit if he wants a basic turbo kit. Use OFT for easy tuning support on the SBD. If hes tracking the car he may want to consider the Jackson Racing rotrex kit.

I got a steal of a deal on a used Vortec kit so thats what I have. Its been very reliable so far, but its only seen maybe 5k miles on my car. It was slightly underwhelming on a box tune on pump gas. (250-270) Since then Ive upgraded to a flexfuel tune. Its a different car on E85. (~300whp)

He has never driven anything fast, has an engineering degree but little real world mechanical aptitude. I'm hesitate to tell him to go turbo because most kits aren't install and forget and I'm worried about the future. He is going to be using it mostly as a daily and nothing more. I had him talked into a blower until the company he was going to buy it from talked him out of it (not that hard when its 2k more) I personally think the low end torque is going to make the car more fun to drive than high hp numbers of a turbo...

He has never driven anything fast, has an engineering degree but little real world mechanical aptitude. I'm hesitate to tell him to go turbo because most kits aren't install and forget and I'm worried about the future. He is going to be using it mostly as a daily and nothing more. I had him talked into a blower until the company he was going to buy it from talked him out of it (not that hard when its 2k more) I personally think the low end torque is going to make the car more fun to drive than high hp numbers of a turbo...

I would talk him into the Edelbrock. Its probably the best fit and finish for what he wants. He could even buy the supplied tune to start. Drive the car with that and if he wants to go faster he could do the upgraded pulley, and/or E85.

What company told him to buy a turbo? I agree with Derek. If he's not the best shadetree mechanic a bolt-on supercharger means he never has to mess with the exhaust or the engine's oiling system, and gets a driveable car immediately after install.

Just seems like $5k+ is a lot of money to pay for not even having 300RWHP in the end.

What company told him to buy a turbo? I agree with Derek. If he's not the best shadetree mechanic a bolt-on supercharger means he never has to mess with the exhaust or the engine's oiling system, and gets a driveable car immediately after install.

Just seems like $5k+ is a lot of money to pay for not even having 300RWHP in the end.

You're too smart (maybe not ;)) to not understand power to weight...

That's about standard across most platforms. $5K-$6k to make 130-150WHP over stock.

You're too smart (maybe not ;)) to not understand power to weight...

BR-Zed = 2758lbs, 242RWHP for Edelbrock E-Force kit: 11.39lbs/hp

CTS-V = 3850lbs, 373RWHP N/A w/Magnaflow exhaust: 10.32lbs/hp

If you want, I can throw an extra $6k on a bolt-on supercharger, just to keep it fair since my CTS-V was cheaper than a BRRRRZ...

CTS-V = 4100lbs, 496RWHP Edelbrock E-Force + Exhaust: 8.26lbs/hp

I'm sure this guy wants to pay more to add BHP to his Toyota Schwinn so it parks harder while he's working inside all day...

http://media.giphy.com/media/ToMjGpKRpvezPEjVyAo/giphy.gif

Be Aaron: spend $$$$$ for a tuned Golf, trade it all in on a V8 to have more fun in life. Chandler agrees.

If you want, I can throw an extra $6k on a bolt-on supercharger, just to keep it fair since my CTS-V was cheaper than a BRRRRZ...

I'm sure this guy wants to pay more to add BHP to his Toyota Schwinn so it parks harder while he's working inside all day...

Be Aaron: spend $$$$$ for a tuned Golf, trade it all in on a V8 to have more fun in life. Chandler agrees.

Good lord, yes, lets compare a FRS/BRZ to a 2 ton 10 year old car.

Also new vs used price comparisons too!!! Amazing!

Forgot, this is CR...

Golf R was never tuned, btw.

Good lord, yes, lets compare a FRS/BRZ to a 2 ton 10 year old car.

Also new vs used price comparisons too!!! Amazing!

Forgot, this is CR...

Golf R was never tuned, btw.

Is the GT86 new? Nope.

Did you put a chunk of change in the Golf and still throw it away anyway? Yep.

Did you forget this is the intarbutts? I believe I just reminded you of that (assuming you're smart enough to notice). ;)

LOL, damn, I had the R for 2 years, had a ton of fun with it, and traded it in for another fun car, and another, and then another.

You're right, that wasn't fun at all...

Actually it was awesome.

But you're right, continue with your ridiculous comparison on how someone asking for power advice on a FRS turns into another self involved CTS-V post.

Fair enough. I advocated for a supercharger and my recommendation still stands.

What was your recommendation to the OP's question, Aaron? Oh, you were just trolling me. Way to contribute. :lol:

So your comment above was aimed only at turbocharging?

I did contribute, I was trying to get you to elaborate on your post above, which I didn't agree with.

There are 4 people on CR alone with SuperChargers, all of them would gladly answer any questions I had.

I wouldn't buy either, because i can't fit in those bitch ass cars.

Now, I may be biased but:

14419877671_5904ea6607_b.jpg

I think a Positive Displacement supercharger is the best match for this platform.

That said, for someone who doesn't plan to AutoX or track the car and only intends to DD it and do some WOT blasts on the highway, a Turbo or Centrifugal supercharger with a rising torque curve will feel more fun. In that case, either will do, with the Centri SC giving better throttle response and the turbo giving a higher top-end.

Either way, a flex-fuel conversion should be on the list.

What are the better options, iyo, for a back road bomber with the occasional highway sprint or track day? Just getting a loose idea for those options.

IMO, and far from the only one, twisties require excellent throttle response. With a predictable throttle I can feed in the torque after mid corner to get the most of the exit, and walk that knife edge as the rear tires flirt with the limits of grip. PD blowers like the Sprintex, Edelbrock, and Cosworth give the best response. But centris like the Jackson Racing and Vortec will give better top end.

http://media.giphy.com/media/ToMjGpKRpvezPEjVyAo/giphy.gif

You can't judge how fast a car is strictly by its power to weight ratio. Power band is important as well. In a drag race, I'll take the CTS-V in either of those trims vs. the BRZ with the better power/weight ratio.

He mostly does trips down the 555 and might do an autox every once and awhile. I told him a roots/Whipple would be best imo but he like the cheap price of a turbo and thinks its going to be trouble free once installed (maybe it would be but I'm doubting it)