Worthington area repair recommendations.

PapaFark

I have a friend that took their 1995 Toyota Camry with 80k miles to Valvoline to get the oil changed and came out with a check engine light and oil dripping from the oilpan at about a drop every 5 seconds...... She works in Worthington and lives in upper Arlington. I would look and fix it but I don't think the car would make it to my place. The car's owner is very strapped for funds and she needs the car fixed by someone that is trustworthy a wont rip her off. Can anyone recommend a place for her to take the car for the repair.. I looked at it in the parking lot and the oil seems to be coming from some sort of bracket located by the oil pan close to the drain plug but a bit higher...

I think I'd be wanting to have a sit-down with the manager of the place she just took it .....

but to your point, North End Wrench isn't far from Worthington. We know she'll be dealt with honestly there.

She did take it back to them Two days later..... Yes I know don't say it.... And they said they didn't do it.... Even though they did an inspection and made no mention of any major oil leak on their paperwork. They did however tell her she needed her trans oil changed and her engine coolant changed which is BS because I put a new Radiator in this car less than 6 months earlier....

mike

this situation sucks but I have personally seen it on 3-4 occasions where these 2.2's leak from the oil pump housing gasket immediately after an oil change, its behind the timing cover and is not a quick job. no explanation for the check engine light though

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v88/icantdo55/leak.jpg

mike

this situation sucks but I have personally seen it on 3-4 occasions where these 2.2's leak from the oil pump housing gasket immediately after an oil change, its behind the timing cover and is not a quick job. no explanation for the check engine light though

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v88/icantdo55/leak.jpg

Thanks for the reply but it is dripping about 4-5 inches back from the corner on the oil plug side....inner side of the pan... There is a bracket there.

I've been taking my junk (CTS-V, Lincoln, tee-ruk) to Noebull Automotive on Kenny and Henderson. The dude running the front of the shop is named David. Tell her to say that Clay sent her.

You guys know how cheap I am...they've done great work, and told me when there is something they just can't do (like...oh, maybe...align an old lowered tee-ruk with cut coil springs :lol:) They will definitely treat her fair. No shit - if they don't, I'll call and bitch them out. I've already sent a couple of UA parent-friends there and they've been very complimentary.

Northend Wrench still does the BMW.

Looking at some pictures online it looks like the drip is coming from the area just below the oil filter.... I wonder if those idiots left the oil filter seal on the block and put the new filter on top of it.......

It would likely come out much much faster than a drip but I have seen them double gasket a filter a few times and the owner loose a engine from it. However if that does happen I have also seen quick lube places end up having to pay for a new engine in multiple occasions but if this is the fear take it to another shop don't go back to the original place and give them the chance to cover it up

The guys at Noebull are definitely honest workers, I used to sell them parts quite a lot and never heard anything bad from them. Other than getting TO their garage which is a little funky.

I echo the take it somewhere else statement. Not saying all quicky lubes are shady but they often aren't the most honest of establishments and run on shoestring budgets where "add-ons" are the only thing that keep their doors up and lights on. If Plain City isn't too far for her to get it to, we would of course be happy to help!

The guys at Noebull are definitely honest workers, I used to sell them parts quite a lot and never heard anything bad from them. Other than getting TO their garage which is a little funky.

Getting to their shop is easy...it's the getting OUT part that's more than funky. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Well I looked at the car again and it looks like the oil pump housing gasket is the problem! She went to North End Wrench and they fixed the check engine light in two seconds looking at the car. Unfortunately they can't get it in for her repair for two to three weeks..... She is now going to take it to Noebull because it is literally a block from where she lives. She's got all the info and hopefully they can get her fixed up!

Well I looked at the car again and it looks like the oil pump housing gasket is the problem! She went to North End Wrench and they fixed the check engine light in two seconds looking at the car. Unfortunately they can't get it in for her repair for two to three weeks..... She is now going to take it to Noebull because it is literally a block from where she lives. She's got all the info and hopefully they can get her fixed up!

I didn't want to be right, but it was the only thing I could think of being so common.

You were right on the money on this!

It's very simple, just doing a very simple 4 cyl timing belt, remove oil pump, replace seals.. Let me and Opey know if you need the parts, keep them in the drawer right behind my desk.

It's very simple, just doing a very simple 4 cyl timing belt, remove oil pump, replace seals.. Let me and Opey know if you need the parts, keep them in the drawer right behind my desk.

Thanks Jon! Must be a very common repair if you keep the gaskets in your desk! lol

• 2 weeks later...
UPDATE: The car is fixed! It was indeed the oil pump housing gasket that was leaking. This leak actually brought to light that the timing belt on this car....a 1995 was still the original belt! The guys at Neobull said that it was so cracked that they could almost see through it! They did the repair at their exact estimate price and also replaced the valve cover gasket for her at no charge! Great guys, easy to work with and definitely will be getting her future repair work!