Mazda Advanced Key? Mazda Dealership?

ShowHBK

for a while now I have wanted to replace my key (picture below) because something inside (the key) has broken and the buttons on the outside of my car and the keyless ignition no longer works. I wanted to get a quote for a replacement key and I was told by Mazda directly that a replacement would have to include two keys, reprogramming, and cutting at a price of $1200. :wtf: They can kiss my entire A$$ asking for that much...

My question to CR is, Does anyone here know of a much cheaper way to do this? I have seen a few of them on second hand websites and ebay, but i never know who I can trust. I'm just looking for a way to get my key working again. It would be nice to use the keyless feature again.

Things I am looking for:

• Anyone here a locksmith?
  • Anyone know of a trustworthy site to order one for cheap?
  • A place to have the key programmed or cut?
  • Anyone here work for a Mazda dealership?

I'm open to thoughts and suggestions

I can still drive the car, and the buttons on the remote still lock and unlock the car. The only not functioning thing with the key is that the car no longer detects it and the light on the key no longer blinks in proximity to the car.

Part Number (I think)= BGBX1T458SKE11A01

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=923&pictureid=8462

I worked as a Mazda tech for a short time, programming those keys to the vehicle is not a simple process. The dealership has to plug into the car, pull a rolling code that changes every couple of ignition cycles, log in to Mazda (a highly restricted website that they won't give you access to until you are trained), and input those codes so they can give you a unique unlock code in order to program the key. Good luck getting around it.

I worked as a Mazda tech for a short time, programming those keys to the vehicle is not a simple process. The dealership has to plug into the car, pull a rolling code that changes every couple of ignition cycles, log in to Mazda (a highly restricted website that they won't give you access to until you are trained), and input those codes so they can give you a unique unlock code in order to program the key. Good luck getting around it.

oh god! :eek:

I have been looking the past few nights and found an OEM key, but i'm not sure if the site is trustworthy... anyone know of reputable places to buy keys? Or anyplace in town I can go to and get a quote?

I've found trying to go about things the cheapest way possible is usually a good way at making it more expensive than doing it right the first time.

Pay the $1200 At Mazda and know it will work, or buy a key somewhere and take it to Mazda for them to say they won't cut it since they didn't sell it to you.

You could try an aftermarket. I've never been a fan of aftermarket alarms on cars, usually not installed very clean and they fail causing a draw eventually.

See if Kyle and Brady at Pickups PLus can help you with aftermarket options. Call and talk with Kyle at the St Rt 23 location. THey are entirely great at installing such things. They've worked on both my Ford and Audi with 110% satisfaction. OEM quality work all the way. Will be far less than the $1,200.

Id crack the case open and reflow all the solder joints before I spent another penny ( assuming you're good with a soldering iron). Japanese cars and solder joint issues go together like bread and butter.

Id crack the case open and reflow all the solder joints before I spent another penny ( assuming you're good with a soldering iron). Japanese cars and solder joint issues go together like bread and butter.

knowing my luck, I would break this key in half if I tried to open it all the way and do any soldering :lol: I will give it a try ONLY as a last resort.

knowing my luck, I would break this key in half if I tried to open it all the way and do any soldering :lol: I will give it a try ONLY as a last resort.

Hit the case with throughly with a heat gun, should be able to peel it apart with ease.

But yeah, if your that uncomfortable about simply opening it up don't even touch it, lol.

**UPDATE**

with a little more digging I was able to find the actual part number thanks to your guys help. Looks like they go for about $160-200 a pop. I am going to send Mazda an email to confirm what the price would be to reprogram a key. More updates to come.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mazda-MX-5-Miata-RX-8-Keyless-Entry-Transmitter-NFY7-67-5RYB-GENUINE-/171960297702?hash=item2809a1e8e6:g:xjEAAOSw0HVWE~~-&vxp=mtr

Part # NFY7-67-5RYB

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Y1H5ugDEL.jpg

** Final Update **

This thread can be locked. Might be useful for people to know this in the future in case someone else is looking to have their advanced key replaced.

After undergoing a lot of research and considering options, I am going to wait a few months, maybe summer to buy the new key off ebay. I was also happy to know that the keys have dropped in price since I last checked, Thanks for the help everyone. :)

As of 3/9/2016:

According to (Byers) Mazda. Part# NFY7-67-5RYB will work with any Mazda vehicle from 2006-2009 Equipped with the advanced keyless system.

1 Key is $292.51 plus tax (Direct from Mazda)

Reprogramming is $101.00 plus tax

I was given confirmation that Mazda will reprogram ONLY Genuine Mazda Keys for the quoted price. Aftermarket key's may require additional charges. (Byers) Mazda also explained to me that it IS possible to program one key without the other, but not recommenced.