Move To Cali?

wagner

So i had an interview with the NHRA tonight about a job, but the giant downside is it would require me to move to California.

I'm having a difficult time wrapping my mind around the fact I would have to move to a state where $150,000 buys you a 700 sq foot manufactured home, my car is so not legal, and every gun I own would have to be checked at the border.

They put the ball in my court as far as if I want to do another interview, but I just can't get my mind around the cost of living and the move.

What would CR do?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

WHERE in Cali? I've been so San Fran and LA a few times and there isn't enough money to get me to live there. It sucked. The only upside was the weather.

Job is based in Glendora CA.

The cost of living is just insane out there.

The opportunity would be huge being a Social Media Manager for them and the exposure would be crazy.

Leanne has a friend who rents a 3 bed, 2 bath 1,000 sq foot house out there in Yorba Linda for an "affordable" $2,600 a month...

I would advise you not play it "safe" necessarily with concerns on cost of living persay. If its something you really want to do, and the career path looks ideal, and your wife if committed and can gain employment go for it. (assuming you can make fair compensation)

You do not get to where you want to be with out a little risk/reward.

It doesn't have to be permanent, but it does need to have projection IMO, albeit like anything you make of it what you put into it...

The opportunity would be huge being a Social Media Manager for them and the exposure would be crazy.

Leanne has a friend who rents a 3 bed, 2 bath 1,000 sq foot house out there in Yorba Linda for an "affordable" $2,600 a month...

Beautiful area. Consider that there are a lot of people in Ohio spending $2,600 on a mortgage that in the early years is really just interest and it's freaking Ohio.

Again, go for it Brian! You really don't have anything to lose.

Beautiful area. Consider that there are a lot of people in Ohio spending $2,600 on a mortgage that in the early years is really just interest and it's freaking Ohio.

Again, go for it Brian! You really don't have anything to lose.

My mind is just being to practical right now, I need to pound a couple of beers, sleep on it and see what wisdom comes from this.

Despite the rumors, when it comes to money and living I play it VERY safe. We live well within our means and it has allowed us to have a great life.

Just a lot to think about and the ides of others are helping.

If the money works, it may be worth taking a chance. You have wanted a change for a long time. I don't know about the car but some guns are legal out there. Plus you know you would always have a place here if it didn't work out.

If I were in your shoes, I would do it. I'm assuming you do not have kids if Leanne is the same Leanne I worked with at BMW. If so, now is the time to do it.

The exposure and the opportunities you will get to be a part of would probably be something awesome. You can always come back to Ohio.

I moved to Columbus from Sacramento. For me, Cali sucked. Worked 3 jobs and couldn't afford to do any of the "cool" things there. Car restrictions, gun restrictions, eco everything; knowing what I know now, I'm glad I left. When I moved to Columbus, I had $310, no job, no car and a friend who said I could stay with them. You can make anything happen, anywhere you want it to.

I moved to Columbus from Sacramento. For me, Cali sucked for me. Worked 3 jobs and couldn't afford to do any of the "cool" things there. Car restrictions, gun restrictions, eco everything; knowing what I know now, I'm glad I left.

Exactly my point. Never lived out there but trained out there for weeks. I had my living expenses paid but my "funny money alone" which was nothing out of the normal pretty much was 1/2 my earnings. IT IS NOT CHEAP. And they are Nazi's about all the fun stuff.

So i had an interview with the NHRA tonight about a job, but the giant downside is it would require me to move to California.

I'm having a difficult time wrapping my mind around the fact I would have to move to a state where $150,000 buys you a 700 sq foot manufactured home, my car is so not legal, and every gun I own would have to be checked at the border.

They put the ball in my court as far as if I want to do another interview, but I just can't get my mind around the cost of living and the move.

What would CR do?

If you have industry desire and they are going to compensate you appropriately, then I'd say do it. As a contractor here in Denver I did database work for SEMA/PRI and their advertising department last year and everyone is connected. If its not a good gig you can find some place to go elsewhere in less than a year.

When it comes to compensation go big. They know its expensive out there and adjustment. They know you are moving across country.

It was cool being on-site with SEMA and in a few of their offices. But I would not work in the auto industry in Cali for the 'cool factor' ... which actually would be totally cool ... I'd do it as a professional making a professional wage in California. Otherwise the lack of cool-life stuff would add up pretty quick.

WHERE in Cali? I've been so San Fran and LA a few times and there isn't enough money to get me to live there. It sucked. The only upside was the weather.

Would have to be a for a good chunk of change, and some contract stipulations with a minimum of x years of work. Who knows where the nhra will be 5 years from now.

These ^

I spent time in LA myself and they tried to get me to move out there. After really looking into the cost of living and trying my best to "make it fit", I had to say no.

Hell man, at least take the second interview. Find out what kind of package they are offering, and figure out how far you can push them. Living out there would certainly not be ideal, but you're young enough to take some risks in your life. Move on after that with the NHRA on your resume and the contacts you will make. Rent a place out there so you're not tied down and can move whenever is right for you. It's a stepping stone, nothing more.