aerial speed traps.

98WS6

Long story short, I was traveling down 33 and somewhere between diley rd. and the speedway at carrol. i was stopped for speeding *77 in a 60* by an aerial speed trap. Is this worth fighting, from what ive read and been told, both officers have to appear during court, and when asked to provide pictures/info/evidence to prove you where speeding. My ticket states that the clocking officer is also the one who issued the ticket, even tho that is not very possible, and i dont recall seeing any monitored by aircraft signs...doesn mean they arnt posted just dont recall seeing any....Any info/help would be appreciated

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also heard the rumor if you plead not guilty and fight it, the officer that wrote the ticket must appear as well as the guy in the plane. If they both are not present, you can argue "hear say" and move to dismiss. Again that is a rumor, I have read, have not tried that myself. If he claims to be the guy in the plane and wrote you the ticket I might fight it. You might be out of some work time if you lose, if you pay you are out money anyway.

My wife was cited for failure to control on 315, hit the wall on the riverside curve as the bridge was iced over. CPD shut down the freeway and called in a truck to de-ice the bridge, deemed it unsafe for travel. We fought and the officer never showed, also we sat and watched several people didn't show for their court date, and were immediately issued a warrant. When it came time for us, they told us to sit by and give time for the officer to arrive. I said absolutely not, I move to dismiss. It was granted and we still had to pay court costs. Bullshit that they were gonna have us wait for their benefit, and the public didn't get the same consideration. We did not get a lawyer.

They don't need to have a sign up that says they're monitoring by air.

I'd just pay it and move on. The Highway Patrol is pretty strict about making their Troopers go to court. Any smaller department it would be worth it

I got nailed by "Hotel Papa" (Highway Patrol Cessna) on I-71 by Sunbury. Nothing to add except I just paid the fee.

Wow! So what your saying is, your were speeding, you got caught, anddddd you took responsibility and just paid the fine and moved on? So odd how that works....

IS your time worth going to court to fight it? Even if dismissed, you still pay court cost. For $100 and me knowing I was speeding, it's not worth going downtown, parking, dealing with the awesomeness that surrounds a courtroom, and then rolling the dice on "if" the cop shows. All the whinny excuses in the world, not posted for aerial, ticket marked wrong, I want to play every technicality to my advantage, doesn't change the fact that you were speeding.

I speed, let's go with "often". I don't care if one day I get a ticket for 26 mph in a 25 zone. I'll take it as a win for all the times I have not received tickets for far worse.

If the ticket really is $100, i'd just pay it due to lack of further hassle. Now if it was $300...i'd fight it. Really, for me it comes down to how much time and money is it going to take for me to fight it vs the consequence if I just pay the fine.

My wife was cited for failure to control on 315, hit the wall on the riverside curve as the bridge was iced over. CPD shut down the freeway and called in a truck to de-ice the bridge, deemed it unsafe for travel. We fought and the officer never showed, also we sat and watched several people didn't show for their court date, and were immediately issued a warrant. When it came time for us, they told us to sit by and give time for the officer to arrive. I said absolutely not, I move to dismiss. It was granted and we still had to pay court costs. Bullshit that they were gonna have us wait for their benefit, and the public didn't get the same consideration. We did not get a lawyer.

She has NO citations and had to pay court cost?

That makes no sense,

I guess the real question here is "were you going 77 in a 60" and since you put it in asterisks I'm not sure if that is true or not. if true, then just pay it and move on, its a lesson learned. if not true and you were going 65 in a 60, then fight it.

65 in a 60 isn't speeding then??

If you won't lose more than $100 by fighting it, I'd fight it. There seems to be a few technicalities on the ticket. IANAL. Anecdotal evidence, but wrong info written on the ticket has gotten me out of a 85 in a 65 on 33 before.

Lotta clowns in here with the derp response "u were speedin lol pay up!" don't act like you've never sped before.

She has NO citations and had to pay court cost?

That makes no sense,

Yes you still pay the court to have to have all the hearings and get to a judgement. Yes you still pay court costs. No fine, and no repercussions with Insurance companies. I forget how much it was, but it was less than $100.

If you won't lose more than $100 by fighting it, I'd fight it. There seems to be a few technicalities on the ticket. IANAL. Anecdotal evidence, but wrong info written on the ticket has gotten me out of a 85 in a 65 on 33 before.

Lotta clowns in here with the derp response "u were speedin lol pay up!" don't act like you've never sped before.

And a "lotta clowns" go fight tickets with no integrity, because they want to play the technicality.

How can you say "don't act like you don't speed", when you clearly wrote you you a ticket doing 85 in a 65, and in the same sentence say you fought it?

Law enforcement has enough to do without getting dragged to court and you knowing you were speeding. Let's take them away from their day off, or picking up an extra shift, so they can validate why they gave a ticket. Own your situation, or don't put yourself in it.

No one in here is saying they weren't speeding or that they never have before.

And a "lotta clowns" go fight tickets with no integrity, because they want to play the technicality.

fighting a ticket is not refusal to take responsibility, nor is it a lack of integrity. It is exercising your right as a citizen. If you want to talk about it in the frame of responsibility then it is meant to hold the government accountable for it's actions in enforcement of laws.

Responsibility shaming someone for doing something that is their right under the laws of this country is despicable thing and it carries this implied notion that the government never misbehaves and nobody should challenge the government ever. That's a pretty Un-American outlook.

Law enforcement has enough to do without getting dragged to court and you knowing you were speeding. Let's take them away from their day off, or picking up an extra shift, so they can validate why they gave a ticket.

It's their Job Joe, It is what they signed up for. If they can't be bothered to come and defend their accusation then they shouldn't be enforcing laws in the first place. The police officer's word (or the word of any government official for that matter) is not infallible. yes they should get "dragged" to court because it is their job, it is literally why they get paid, sitting on the side of the road holding a LIDAR gun is only a small part of the actual job.

Own your situation, or don't put yourself in it.

Joe, there are laws and everybody has to abide by them, even the ones who enforce them. Shame on those who seek to degenerate a fellow citizen for wanting to explore their options and their rights.

No one in here has said they weren't speeding. Yet, there is plenty of talk about still fighting a ticket. No one said cops are always right. Therefore, no one is arguing that in this thread, you brought it up. Therefore there is no need to talk about fighting a wronged citation. Take my 20 years+ of un-American service and see how they fit up your ass Kerry. You despicable legal hack.

You take something out of context, and twist it just enough to throw your slighted input.