Skyactiv-R has a patent

o0n8

Car & Driver Article

Cliff's:

Mazda filed a patent for new gen rotary

23% Larger

Turbo Charge

180 degree flip on orientation for turbo placement and lower placement in crossmember

C&D states 400+ hp, should be more efficient and should have bettter low rpm tq

http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Mazda-SkyActiv-R-patent-application_lead-626x383.png

http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Mazda-RX-Vision-concept-103-STOKLOSA-876x535-626x382.jpg

Hopefully we can use some of the patent drawings to start making up an LS swap kit.

lol.

Would E85 help emissions on this thing? I know it would burn more fuel, but ethanol became mainstream AFTER the Mazda rotary died.

I know - ideally - it still burns oil. But so does diesel...maybe there's a urea injection solution for this thing....

lol.

Would E85 help emissions on this thing? I know it would burn more fuel, but ethanol became mainstream AFTER the Mazda rotary died.

I know - ideally - it still burns oil. But so does diesel...maybe there's a urea injection solution for this thing....

As if a rotary needs any help getting worse gas mileage.

If gas stays below $2.50/gal for a while, it shouldn't be that expensive to run it, even with increased fuel consumption.

In a vacuum it's not a bad thing, but when you're comparing to cylinder-deactivation equipped V8s with gobs of torque and tuning ability that can still get mid-high 20s HWY, it's a tough sell.

In today's world I can't see a torqueless wonder that eats oil and probably gets 20 hwy MPG succeeding against the vast array of sports cars out there with traditional, torquey motors that are more fuel efficient than ever.

I hope they build it but this is why I think it won't work. Even my Fiesta with it's little 1.6 made over 200lb/ft and I averaged 31.5mpg in the city with it.

Emissions and fuel efficiency are the downfall of the rotary. They can make plenty of torque with turbos compared to other smaller motors.

I'm not holding my breath, but the concept car was gorgeous in my opinion and I'm always happy to hear that Mazda is continuing development of the rotary platform.

If gas stays below $2.50/gal for a while, it shouldn't be that expensive to run it, even with increased fuel consumption.

The people that could afford a 400hp mazda probably wouldn't be so concerned about it, but their CAFE or whatever might be? Emissions and economy are killing all kinds of fun stuff, meanwhile volcanoes still erupt, cows still fart, and china & india still have millions of super-polluting 2-stroke scooters.

RIP rotary

No way they have a 400hp rotary only setup. I imagine it will be hybrid, best case. Worst case? The motor is basically a backup to the electric motor, ie; like the Prius or Volt, though with more performance, of course. Don't forget, the rotary is actually very good running at a low rpm making it perfect for this kinda thing.

The only thing that makes me doubt this is the boner they seem to have for their skyactiv tech and staying away from electric. I'm not sure that's possible in the future.

Edited by ImUrOBGYN

No way they have a 400hp rotary only setup. I imagine it will be hybrid, best case. Worst case? The motor is basically a backup to the electric motor, ie; like the Prius or Volt, though with more performance, of course. Don't forget, the rotary is actually very good running at a low rpm making it perfect for this kinda thing.

The only thing that makes me doubt this is boner they seem to have for their skyactiv and staying away from electric. I'm not sure that's possible in the future.

All very very good points.

The article I read was a dual turbo using electric for low and a normal one for higher RPMs. Supposed to be more torque (Unsure what more might be) and 450 HP.. That was a AU article (can't recall where).

Hoping, but like Smokey not holding my breath..

The only thing that makes me doubt this is boner they seem to have for their skyactiv and staying away from electric. I'm not sure that's possible in the future.

It's a 1.6L turbocharged so I don't think 400hp is a stretch.

For a rotary car to sell it needs to be in a real light weight chassis. So the benefits of the light motor carry on to the entire car. There are too many big-ish cars that get 15-20mpg with more power.

A sleek body the size of the show car only makes sense with a hybrid motor. Rotarys are great for this application in the kind on design as in the Volt not the Prius.

It's a 1.6L turbocharged so I don't think 400hp is a stretch.

You misunderstood my line of thinking. I'll elaborate.

I do think 400hp is attainable. What I'm not so sure about is them using only the turbo rotary for that power. Can it do it? Yes. Sure it could. But can it do it and still meet the requirements for fuel mileage, driveability, and emissions without the aid of something electric?

I don't really doubt they can't throw some new tech at it and make it viable. It's just fun speculating.

Don't most rotaries need a rebuild before 100k?

all depends on how you use them. If you baby them and don't thrash them then they can last longer, but if you thrash them and red line before every gear change then they will degrade sooner. The reason for most (not all but most) rebuilds are the wearing down of the apex seals which typically last ~100k miles. My current engine has about 75k in its seals, so a rebuild is likely for me within a year or so.

all depends on how you use them. If you baby them and don't thrash them then they can last longer, but if you thrash them and red line before every gear change then they will degrade sooner. The reason for most (not all but most) rebuilds are the wearing down of the apex seals which typically last ~100k miles. My current engine has about 75k in its seals, so a rebuild is likely for me within a year or so.

Rolls of duct tape?

Don't you remember the saying about rx7's? A redline a day keeps the mechanic away. Running them too easy can kill them too due to carbon buildup. Rotaries can be very reliable, there are people out there with >200k miles on their rotary. The big secret is keeping up on maintenance on them (and they are maintenance whores).