Cutting Cable?

We have been discussing this a bunch lately and we are trying to figure out if we would actually save any money. We currently have a ATV running xbmc, so most movies are taken care of. What are you guys doing for sports, live TV, etc.. We don't watch a ton of TV right now, but we have three in our house. I guess I want to hear what others are doing and using.

Thanks,

Tom

I am not that into sports but Sports Devil worked well the one time I used it for live paper view. As for live tv I still need to play around more. I have one add on called Ccloud that streams well but randomly shuts off then refuses to work right for awhile after. I am pretty stuck on movies and television shows that have many seasons to watch. So live tv hasn't been a top priority. My antennas work fine for those needs.

We dropped DirecTV last year about this time. I was really only going to miss the DVR feature. I invested in a box called Tablo. Plug in a digital antenna and an external hard drive and you can watch live or recorded TV on any PC or moble device. I added Roku boxes to our TVs so we can watch. Setup was a little pricey, but compared to DirecTV it's a bargain. Paid for itself in 5 months. All I pay is a small fee for the guide service.

For sports we go out. Doesn't save much that way, but we'd be going out whether we had DirecTV or not, so in the end I think it is a cost saver.

Guest GMoney
We have been discussing this a bunch lately and we are trying to figure out if we would actually save any money. We currently have a ATV running xbmc, so most movies are taken care of. What are you guys doing for sports, live TV, etc.. We don't watch a ton of TV right now, but we have three in our house. I guess I want to hear what others are doing and using.

Thanks,

Tom

I get all my "live" tv and sports on the hacked firestick with XBMC. You should be able to also. If not I can clone you mine.

I don't understand the cutting the cord ESP with answers like, for live sports we go out. We pay $190 a month for time warner with fast internet, all the channels, showtime and HBO and we have HD boxes on our two main TV's and dvr. If we cut the cord we would still pay $60 ish for Internet and then we would go out atleast 4 times a month on Saturdays and each sports bar bill would be a minimum of $60 per Saturday. I wouldn't save any money cutting the cord.

Guest GMoney
I don't understand the cutting the cord ESP with answers like' date=' for live sports we go out. We pay $190 a month for time warner with fast internet, all the channels, showtime and HBO and we have HD boxes on our two main TV's and dvr. If we cut the cord we would still pay $60 ish for Internet and then we would go out atleast 4 times a month on Saturdays and each sports bar bill would be a minimum of $60 per Saturday. I wouldn't save any money cutting the cord.[/quote']

i pay $25 a month for 30 down and 5 up internet. i can watch any movie or live sports so please tell me why you wouldn't cut the cord? no need to even dvr because there are no commercials.

Yah we have a 30/5 connection with WOW! And it's 24 a month..

Even with Netflix and my Amazon prime .. We are still ahead of the game by a lot.

If I can't watch it on TV I'm most certainly not going to go out to watch it.

Oh and SLINGTV during football season.

We were paying $145/month for cable/phone/internet until it jumped to $180/month. Cut the cord and we're now paying $65 for everything...but we don't watch a lot of sports. Bought a $10 antenna to get local stations that works great. No complaints here.

TWC Internet $44/month (30mbps)

Hulu $8/month

Netflix $7/month

Amazon Prime $50/yr (student discount)

MagicJack Phone $20/yr (we have shotty cell coverage at times)

TWC Internet $60 a month

FireStick with Kodi $45 with shipping (one time fee)

Cheap antennas for local TV $20?

We can watch absolutely anything we want with a simple search. Literally almost any video ever made, movie, television show, documentary, concerts, sports, live cameras all around the world, nasa video etc etc.

I get all my "live" tv and sports on the hacked firestick with XBMC. You should be able to also. If not I can clone you mine.

What apps/plug-ins are you using currently? I might take you up on the fire stick idea, if you have time to do it.

Tom

I use the Sports devil addon and usually go through the firstrowsports links in there for all my Chiefs games.

what app are you using for live sports on the FireStick, i have kodi and genesis, can't seem to find sports.

Gonna lurk in here for answers to live sports, as well. I have no issues getting anything else, but live tv, mostly sports is the only thing keeping us in touch with cable. So, definitely interested in seeing who has the most reliable and economical solution.

Gonna lurk in here for answers to live sports, as well. I have no issues getting anything else, but live tv, mostly sports is the only thing keeping us in touch with cable. So, definitely interested in seeing who has the most reliable and economical solution.

+1 for me too.

Guest GMoney
What apps/plug-ins are you using currently? I might take you up on the fire stick idea, if you have time to do it.

Tom

It takes 10 min to clone one. Hell you might be able to have them. I just put kodi on all my Samsung smart tvs. Hahah no more firesticks, gbox, or pi needed anymore...

Guest GMoney
I use pro sport for my live sports. Right now I can watch three different nhl and three nba games. There is also 8 mlb games I can watch. I challenge a cable lover to prove he can watch 8 mlb baseball games live on a Monday night... Your favorite bar won't have 8 games on.

It takes 10 min to clone one. Hell you might be able to have them. I just put kodi on all my Samsung smart tvs. Hahah no more firesticks, gbox, or pi needed anymore...

School me. Here or in pm. Or at least point me in a direction so I can review this business while this thread continues to come of age. :)

Curious if I should run the modded FireStick through a VPN? Also, how reliable is it as far as updates that may negate kodi? Is kodi kept updated to help with that issue? I'll probably find the whatever website and do some reading up later when I have time. Still, I'd like user impressions here if possible.

Curious if I should run the modded FireStick through a VPN? Also, how reliable is it as far as updates that may negate kodi? Is kodi kept updated to help with that issue? I'll probably find the whatever website and do some reading up later when I have time. Still, I'd like user impressions here if possible.

Amazon has bricked hacked devices in the past http://hackaday.com/2014/12/07/amazon-fire-tv-update-bricks-hacked-devices/

so as a quick follow up, i went out today and picked up a new Fire Stick from Best Buy. I followed the directions in this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIxeEmtSXac and so far, so good. I'm still not 100% sure on truly cutting cable, but for $42.00 for each tv, im pretty sold on these.

Tom