VW to pay TDI owners $5000.

SpaceGhost

Heads up!

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/news/a28897/vw-5000-dollar-settlement/

After months of deliberations, it seems that Volkswagen and the U.S. government have finally come to an agreement over how VW will compensate American customers affected by the ongoing diesel emissions scandal. German newspaper Die Welt reported Wednesday that VW will pay affected U.S. customers $5000 each, per a Reuters report.

This story is updating.

Imo it's really not enough. Sure, maybe the Passat and Jetta folks are thrilled. You got 25-40% of your car paid for.

My used tdi Touareg dropped 18k in value on trade to the same dealer 3 months later with only 3k additional miles. Might be acceptable for a new car sure, but a used 2014 with 20k. No way. No other dealers even want the car. We tried to get in a Land Rover LR4 and the sales associate couldn't do the deal with the tdi on trade.

My attorney is waiting to see what the judge says tomorrow...

VW programmed the ecu's in the diesel cars to recognize when emissions testing equipment was hooked up and to adjust the tune to pass emissions. Without the adjustment they would have failed from the factory.

Yeah, those .gov folks are really upset people's TDIs get better than rated economy and make better power most of the time. Becauz OMG EMISSIONS!

Didn't subaru get busted doing the same thing with their new imprezas? having some special MPG-test-detecting fuel mapping or something?

I'd take the $5k and wouldn't change anything on the car. The one pollutant it is out on is stricter on the US regs than the EU regs. So it's not like it a "dirty" car. It's still "cleaner" and a Pirus, all factors considered.

Any information on the date of acquisition? Can I buy one now and get this?

There is a stop sale on new tdi cars. If you bought a used one after the issue was confirmed by VW you are not eligible.

So, no.

I was watching the news this morning and they said VW was going to pay or buyback 500,000 TDI cars

Yep

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/news/a28899/volkswagen-buy-back-diesels/

Earlier today, we reported that Volkswagen would offer U.S. customers affected by its diesel cheating emissions scandal $5000 in compensation. But now, a slightly different report has emerged. Reuters reports that Volkswagen will offer buybacks on up to 500,000 cars it sold in the U.S. equipped with emissions cheating defeat devices.

The Reuters report cites anonymous sources familiar with the negotiations. It's expected that VW will formally present its solution to Federal Judge Charles Breyer in San Francisco Thursday. Judge Breyer threatened Volkswagen with a trial this summer if it didn't present a fix by April 21st.

Reuters also reports that Volkswagen might offer to repair the cars affected, but only if the EPA deems them fixable. Around 500,000 cars in the U.S. and 11 million worldwide were equipped with an emissions cheating "defeat device," which allowed cars powered by VW's 2.0-liter TDI engine to emit up to 40 times the legal amount of nitrogen oxide (NOx) in real-world use. In lab testing, the car would detect that it was being evaluated and perform in compliance with emissions standards

This latest report seems to somewhat contradict an earlier report from German newspaper Die Welt, indicating that Volkswagen would offer affected U.S. owners $5000 in compensation money. Reuters says that VW will pay a yet-to-be-determined cash compensation to customers who sell their cars back to VW, or elect to have them repaired. Volkswagen reportedly set aside $1 billion for additional compensation in addition to the cost of the buybacks.

Owners are said to have two years to decide whether or not they want to sell their cars back to VW, or have them fixed. Those who elect a buyback will receive the resale value of their vehicle before news broke of the cheating last September, plus an additional cash compensation.

Last month, the California Air Resources Board said that it might not be possible to fix all of the affected cars. In Europe, where a recall to repair affected cars has begun, it's said that the fix has a negative impact on fuel economy, but Volkswagen denies this.

A court hearing is set for Thursday at 8:00 a.m. pacific, so we'll know Volkswagen's definitive plans then. When reached by Road & Track, a Volkswagen spokesperson declined to comment.

We've still got ours and LOVE it.....but either way it's a win IMO.

If they want to buy it back for full retail price.....GREAT! If they want to give me $5k....GREAT!

I got 50.3mpg on the way home from work tonight. I'll either keep it and run it until it dies or get paid and go car shopping...whatever.

Honestly, the EPA are far bigger crooks than any car company.