280z LS Swap

BStowers023

Curious if anyon on this board has done it? Curious about what all is needed for the swap kit. Also, round about cost to do everything given an average condition mid 70s Z (would repaint and replace suspension parts anyways).

Considering potentially doing a build for one of these. I have had trouble finding this info because there seems to be a lot of variables but intention would be a 5.3 turbo car.

Hardest part is to find a rust free car. Seems like,you get a rust free one that is,beat up, or a rusty one that is in decent condition for a 40 year old car. You will more than likely have to find one that has lived in the desert, as almost everyone will tell you that the car they are selling is rust free, or has a small surface spot of rust on the rocker. Most if not all of those cars are hiding much more corrosion.

Depends on the level you would like to take the car to, but I would guess somewhere in the $10k to start and work, to $25k or much more for a nice car with upgraded suspension, frame stiffening, upgraded brakes, brake lines, and rear differential.

There are always ways to try to save money on a project like this, but keep in mind this is a car that was designed 50 years ago, and has the technology that barely supports the 130 some horsepower engine that powered it. You are going to have possibly six times that horsepower, or more, so essentially with older cars like this you are pretty much working with a bare shell and updating to support the new power. That usually gets expensive.

These prices would be if you did the work yourself, and is a good place to start.

This is one of my dream builds. I agree with everything said before, finding a shell in good shape is quite a task, although you could get lucky and find a perfect one done already (for a pretty penny). You can get something running for under $10k but its going to take a lot more to do it right