Intermittently Leaking coolant.

Geeto67

So the wife's Audi is doing something weird. If being driven normally the car doesn't leak anything, the coolant level stays normal, all is well. If it sits for about 2-3 days there is usually a puddle of coolant from the right side right under the radiator. I can see the drip and I am 100% positive it is coolant, I just can't see the leak. Car sat from Friday to sunday and lost maybe a 1/4 in the level in the coolant tank. I started it up and drove it and then let it sit overnight and checked it this morning - not a drop on the ground.

Car is a 2006 Audi A3 8P FWD 6MT with 85,000 miles. The thermostat is currently stuck open on the car but it has been that way since 50K miles and is a common issue.

So what's going on here? a small crack in the seam? Car is not overheating or anything, I just don't like accidentally poisoning all the neighborhood outdoor cats.

My guess is it's a small crack in the thermoplastic - either in one of the hose couplings, or where the aluminum fins connect to the plastic radiator cores. If the engine stays warm - and the crack is small enough - I would imagine the cracks stay relatively tight and coolant that weeps may evaporate. Let it cool down, and the crack opens enough for a small amount to leak out.

One of my friends in high school had an adult neighbor he did like. He used to go over every few days and pour a tablespoon or two of motor oil under the guys car. Then he would watch the guy search high and low for a leak. Ultimately, he poured an entire quart under it just to mess with him. maybe somebody in your hood is doing the same.

My guess is it's a small crack in the thermoplastic - either in one of the hose couplings, or where the aluminum fins connect to the plastic radiator cores. If the engine stays warm - and the crack is small enough - I would imagine the cracks stay relatively tight and coolant that weeps may evaporate. Let it cool down, and the crack opens enough for a small amount to leak out.

That was my thought as well. I think there was a batch of car that had plastic tank issues with the stock radiator, but it's odd that it takes a few days to get noticed. 12 hours is more than enough time for the car to cool down.

One of my friends in high school had an adult neighbor he did like. He used to go over every few days and pour a tablespoon or two of motor oil under the guys car. Then he would watch the guy search high and low for a leak. Ultimately, he poured an entire quart under it just to mess with him. maybe somebody in your hood is doing the same.

Doubtful because 1) I can actually see it dripping, just can't see where it is dripping from since it hits various plastic pieces on it's way down, and 2) it's pretty much only the people on this board that don't like me, and most of them don't know where I live.

Your friend is hilarious though. Seriously, I have to remember that if I ever want to get petty.