Soda/media blasting - Rust treatment

zeitgeist57

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-lb-portable-soda-blaster-60802.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/21-oz-hopper-gravity-feed-spot-blaster-gun-95793.html

I'm looking to blast rust off of small, sub-nickel-sized rock chips in the rockers of my '78 Lincoln to treat and repaint. Yes, I know I'm looking at Harbor Freight (as opposed to Eastwood). Anyone used these tools for media blasting? Experiences? Materials used?

Thanks everyone!

Hoblick, I need to talk to you about H-D stuff anyway...will shoot you a text.

Shawn, online reviews said that the HF guns come from the factory partially clogged LOL...not sure if that's part of the problem...

I have a case of walnut shells you can have if you need it.

Thank you, chancellor. Will take that under advisement.

Why not just sand it, clay?

Because these are small rock chips over the last few decades that were allowed to start rusting over, I liked the idea of a targeted blast of material in a small area. when I think of sanding, I think of a bigger area of damage from the repair, and a lot more elbow grease. Plus, some of the media options do a better job removing the rust and prepping the metal for primer and paint.

That's my thought process anyway.

I have one of those Clay from HF.. they pretty much suck. You're more than welcome to borrow/take it. I have no need for it.

Agreed.

It sucks to fill. Clogs constantly. Leaks from everywhere. Its basically a last resort type of tool.