Should I start ceramic coating?

88lx5oh

i had some people ask about it since i do powder coating, but the process is different, and its a lot more expensive, which in turn cost more to the customer.

but if need is there id totally get into it, as the place i buy my powder from also is a large supplier of ceramic coatings.

No. At least not until I get you to put a new tire on my bike :masturboy:

Every time I see someone with ceramic coated guns or whatever they want way too much money for them. Not sure what other volume applications you'd get people to pay for?

I have seen exhaust parts ceramic coated, that is the only thing I haven seen ceramic. Can't power coat work? I have a Hooker side exhaust for my bb vette I was planning to get ceramic coated but agreed the price is quite high in my opinion($500-$700 range). It can be another good solution for you if it can be affordable for the customer and you can make money too without too much expense to get started.

You can hi temp powder coat, but honestly I have no idea how long it last, and I tell my customers that. I have done motorcycle exhaust with, and haven't had anything come back yet, but I don't think it would hold up for a long time on race car headers or turbo down pipes.

i had some people ask about it since i do powder coating, but the process is different, and its a lot more expensive, which in turn cost more to the customer.

but if need is there id totally get into it, as the place i buy my powder from also is a large supplier of ceramic coatings.

I think the business answer becomes 'yes'

But that means a low volume premium service as opposed to the higher volume value service you are likely doing with the powder coating

Brent used to do it at IPS when I worked there with our equipment, we used it even on Marks vette manifolds and hot parts. It was a little more involved and expensive but frankly worth it from my dealings around it.

We however only did the black coating, none of the chrome or anything else, it was the only one that held up and did its purpose correctly.

I would offer it, we did a lot of turbo parts and manifolds back when I was working at the shop.

As a comparison I recently had my downpipe done at Performance Powdercoating with their 2000 degree ceramic coating and it was $85.

actual ceramic coating, or hi temp powder that has ceramic in it?

Actual ceramic 2000 degree coating on inside and outside of the pipe. I had done it previously in black and now they offer silver which I did. It came out well. I haven't done a track day with it yet but street pulls have it holding up just fine.

As a comparison I recently had my downpipe done at Performance Powdercoating with their 2000 degree ceramic coating and it was $85.

James, at PPC, ceramic coated my manifold, downpipe, and turbo hot side years ago. It did not hold up, and was gone in a year. They said I could take parts off and bring them back, but I never got around to it and didn't feel I would get a different result. I think they high temp powder coated.

I did my own on the entire hotside inside and out on the new setup.

Used Cerakote 2000. Black satin.

The only pain in the ass was it has to be sand blasted and perfectly clean. I used the air dry formula so I didn't have to bake it. The shit has a fume that would choke a mule. Even through my 3m organic vapor respirator. Really need a fresh air respirator. Stuff was pricy as well at $144 for a quart delivered. Time will tell if it holds up I guess, from others that I talked to the air dry hold up well. Seems to me that for what people charge their is some good money in it. I'm contemplating doing it on the side myself.