Thanks to Trey (IV Rings) @ MAG

oh8sti

Just wanted to say thanks to Trey for taking care of my mom today. She's been a Subaru person for years. My dad hates them. I've also wizened up and moved onto better quality non-lezbo cars, so I wanted my mom to as well. :lolguy:

Went in and got a good price on the car she wanted. Trey took the time to explain anything and everything she wanted to know. Would highly recommend him to anyone looking for a new car @ MAG. 5/5 Stars!

Old: 2013 Shitwagon Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium

New: 2016 Audi Allroad Premium

Note: Doc gave the recommendation....and we all know Doc is ALWAYS right.

Contact info:

Trey Latham

Sales Advisor

614-889-2571

tlatham@magcars.com

Here's some pics!

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu130/oh8ti/4B352B4C-5D01-4BBC-BD75-99B1B89AF634_zps5lfua5zz.jpg

She has Wifi!

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu130/oh8ti/83CD763D-E965-4E78-803F-19B868265B57_zps6leqaoqb.jpg

http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu130/oh8ti/3ABD18A6-20EB-4235-B5D3-3D275C957F1A_zpsgmm43irp.jpg

Am I the only one that giggled at this? :lolguy:

no I laughed too. Dirty minds and all...

Trey is a solid dude. He and I had a lengthy conversation the last time I was at mag getting the wife's Audi serviced. He was a little pushy about the DSG transmission but I don't blame him since Audi put him in the unenviable position of having to sell their "pussy-ified" new all automatic lineup.

no I laughed too. Dirty minds and all...

Trey is a solid dude. He and I had a lengthy conversation the last time I was at mag getting the wife's Audi serviced. He was a little pushy about the DSG transmission but I don't blame him since Audi put him in the unenviable position of having to sell their "pussy-ified" new all automatic lineup.

Why wouldn't you service your DSG when recommend? The DSG is bulletproof if you take care of it.

I don't blame him since Audi put him in the unenviable position of having to sell their "pussy-ified" new all automatic lineup.

I love my DSG. Love shifting gears but in todays world of daily drivers and traffic, no thanks. Also, being able to just hit the go pedal with AWD for effortless and consistent launches it's great. The stock 6spd clutch doesn't handle Stage II well either.

Why wouldn't you service your DSG when recommend? The DSG is bulletproof if you take care of it.

I don't own a DSG. All my cars are manual. Wife and I are hardcore members of the cult of the left pedal.

It isn't about servicing at all..and now I realize that I worded my previous comment confusingly.

It's like I told Trey, by discontinuing the manual option on all the US cars Audi has sent a clear message they don't want me as a customer. Don't get me wrong, I think the DSG is a fine transmission, and I think it is the way automatics should have been built, I just don't want to own an automatic car.

I don't own a DSG. All my cars are manual. Wife and I are hardcore members of the cult of the left pedal.

It isn't about servicing at all..and now I realize that I worded my previous comment confusingly.

It's like I told Trey, by discontinuing the manual option on all the US cars Audi has sent a clear message they don't want me as a customer. Don't get me wrong, I think the DSG is a fine transmission, and I think it is the way automatics should have been built, I just don't want to own an automatic car.

DSG IS a manual, just sayin'.

I just don't want to own an automatic car.

you can shift it manually. just no clutch to have to push and it's a very short throw :p get used to banging gears like you never have before ;) Think video game fast. gotta luv the DSG Fart Sounds too.

DSG IS a manual, just sayin'.

Can you put it in D? will it shift on it's own? Is the shifting process Automated? yes? it's an automatic. It just isn't a traditional hydraulic torque converter automatic.

Automatic and manual refers to the method of shifting - if there is an option for the thing to do it for you it is an automatic. And yes there are different types of automatics (CVT, Electromanual, Hydraulic, etc...) just like there are different types of manual transmissions (preselctor, sequential, etc..).

Just Sayin'.

Trey is a master of the hardsell for the DSG. He hit every enthusiast talking point masterfully when we chatted. But the heart wants what the heart wants.

you can shift it manually. just no clutch to have to push and it's a very short throw :p get used to banging gears like you never have before ;) Think video game fast. gotta luv the DSG Fart Sounds too.

and it shifts faster, and it is smoother, and it is more durable, and it gives you a handy while you are in traffic...blah blah blah. I just don't like it. For me the clutch pedal is the point, getting rid of it just removes the skill and levels the playing field. In an every day driving non-competition scenario, or as I call it how I use my car 99% of the time, I just prefer to have a clutch pedal.

and it shifts faster, and it is smoother, and it is more durable, and it gives you a handy while you are in traffic...blah blah blah. I just don't like it. For me the clutch pedal is the point, getting rid of it just removes the skill and levels the playing field. In an every day driving non-competition scenario, or as I call it how I use my car 99% of the time, I just prefer to have a clutch pedal.

I wouldn't say it's smoother in stock form. Actually the way Audi programs it stock it's not. It's jerky when downshifting at a stoplight. The TCU Tune eliminates that. It's normal though and when creeping the average Joe doesn't like the feeling of the computer 'clutching the car' when they are expecting it to behave like a typical slushbox. I think they forget it's actually a manual transmission being shifted by a computer and what they are feeling is the computer engaging a clutch to mimic a ‘creep’ function. Most noticeable going up a driveway that's sloped or crawling up over the curb/gutter. Overall though, it's seamless in "auto mode"

So what kind of transmission is it?

I call a DSG an automated manual transmission as a DSG is actually a pair of multiple-shaft manual gearboxes, with a transaxle design less a conventional clutch pedal. aka a manual transmission but with full automatic, OR semi-manual control. Thus a DSG is actually the best of BOTH, a manual transmission that allows for fully automatic or a manual control of it's manual transmission hardware.

Automatics using a Torque Converter use a process to change gears that's only loosely similar to a manual transmission but in the end it's NOT a manual in any way. They have a viscous coupling, a planetary gear set, and a series of hydraulics that complete the gear changes. A torque converter based automatic can't truly be a manual system as it's design completely different and it inherently loses or never has the benefits of a manual transmission; speed, light-weight design, efficiency, etc.

Cliffs:

• presence of a torque converter = automatic transmission
  • computer controlled shifting doesn't make a DSG an automatic transmission. At it's heart is a manual gearbox with a computer controlling it. To be called an automatic in the traditional sense, it would need a torque converter and hydraulics to make it that. otherwise, it's just a manual system being computer controlled or fully manually controlled.

In the end Kerry, I can appreciate your love for a three pedal car but I think that's right up there with the love for playing Vinyl Music. May be more-true in a sense but it's a little antiquated. Even the new GM 8 and 10 speed auto's are more fun in a performance sense than a manual car. Unless of course how you get to speed is more important than the end result.

Edited by TTQ B4U

Tim do you have the DSG APR software?

Yes. In beta on a newer version too. They are actually firming up the clutch engagements as some are seeing a wee-bit of slippage due to the power many are now putting down as E85 tunes increase. Also looking at E85. :p

I wonder if you'd be jerking it this hard to the new S4s tq converted 8 speed instead of your DSG...Auto LOL.

Depends on how well it drives. I've been in the Chevy's new C7's and their autos are night and day compared to what you are LOL'ing at and we have known from days past.

My guess is Audi went to the 8spd for cost / efficiency reasons though. However I'm sure it holds its own. Not sure if Trey has done a ride and drive with the new S4.

6spd difficult launches are LOL :)

Yes. In beta on a newer version too. They are actually firming up the clutch engagements as some are seeing a wee-bit of slippage due to the power many are now putting down as E85 tunes increase. Also looking at E85. :p

I'm of need of getting it for mine. Experiencing some of that and need the increased torque limiter with the software.

I'm of need of getting it for mine. Experiencing some of that and need the increased torque limiter with the software.

Are they in beta on the update for you guys? The S4's is due out by end of month but we know what APR's "in two weeks" is like. Could be 6 months or never. :)

Are they in beta on the update for you guys? The S4's is due out by end of month but we know what APR's "in two weeks" is like. Could be 6 months or never. :)

Don't believe so. It is available with no update mentioned. Usually when they come out with updates you can go back in for free though. Debating on going to ToyBarn since they are APR now. TC Kline charges labor unlike much of the other APR shops.

Don't believe so. It is available with no update mentioned. Usually when they come out with updates you can go back in for free though. Debating on going to ToyBarn since they are APR now. TC Kline charges labor unlike much of the other APR shops.

It's a solid tune for our platform so I'm sure your is too. I'm seeing a little drop in RPM/slip but nothing I'd scream over if it wasn't fixed. Some guys in the S4 world bitch about everything to the Nth degree. APR haters for not having flash-at-home.

Call Jeff at Toy Barn. I'm not sure if he'd charge for a flash or even if he'll charge me to update mine. It only takes 20 minutes so bill me for 30 as we know nothing is ever as simple as we think and call it a day is how I see it.